Ohio GOP Opposes Medicaid Expansion But Not Tax Cuts Funded by Medicaid Expansion

Picard and Riker Facepalm

Ohio Republicans are adamantly opposed to expanding Medicaid under Obamacare, but they are fans of using the savings from expanding Medicaid to fund a tax cut.

Republican Ohio state senators have introduced a bill that would take over $400 million in Medicaid savings stemming from the state’s recent decision to participate in Obamacare’s Medicaid expansion and funnel it into an across-the-board four percent income tax cut. That amounts to using savings from a program that provides basic health benefits to the state’s poorest to fund a tax break that would almost exclusively benefit its most affluent.

The progressive policy group Policy Matters Ohio points out the proposed cut amounts to an average $1 tax cut for the poorest 20 percent of Ohio residents, but a $1,437 cut for the top one percent

What is it with the Republican obsession of turning any surplus or windfall they come across into a deficit-generating tax cuts?

They accuse Democrats of being big spenders, yet Republicans can hardly wait to pass tax expenditures. That $400 million is burning a hole in their pockets.

Why not bank the money and see where we’re at next year?

You could even use that money to improve essential services or — gasp — create jobs!

I know. That’s crazy talk.

This entry was posted in Economy, Taxes and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • trgahan

    “What is it with the Republican obsession of turning any surplus or windfall they come across into a deficit-generating tax cuts? “

    Just part a central tenant of the true GOP platform:

    “Free those who’ve benefitted most from our society by removing ANY and ALL obligations to the society that created them.”

    Besides, that $1,437 will most likely end up in Ohio State senator’s campaign funds…so its really just fund raising parading as legislating.

    • Badgerite

      Seriously. It really is all they have ideologically. They have been at this for 30 years now and the final result has not been expanded opportunity for the middle class or even a stable economy. So they just use tax cuts as pocketbook candy to try to hook in the voters. “Here kid, I’ll give you a dime for a dollar.”

  • Brutlyhonest

    My answer to the spittle-flecked yelling about “tax-and-spend liberals” has always been to point out that is exactly how the system is designed to work: (1) Raise revenue (tax) , and (b) pay your bills (spend). Not the modern republican way of borrowing and spending which leads to deficits and debt. The usual response is to call me an asshole.

    • feloniousgrammar

      Yeah, it’s kind of blatant when a party that’s always comparing the federal budget to a household budget is opposed to making more money and saving money.

  • mrbrink

    I’ve been saying it for weeks that when Wingnut-run states who’ve been holding out figure out how to redistribute those federal Medicaid expansion dollars to the rich, they’d start snatching it up. Low and fucking behold. This is some diabolical shit. Just a day in the life of the party of smiling, treasonous motherfuckers. The new normal is the GOP making war on Americans.

  • Nefercat

    So. Is this an example of unmitigated greed and callousness, coupled with savvy instincts for knowing exactly where and how to extract every dollar possible from those too vulnerable to withstand the unrelenting shady financial manipulation and chicanery?

    Or is it yet more proof that the republicans, far from being the financial geniuses, business experts, and fiscal conservatives they claim to be, are nothing but sugared up kindergarteners who shouldn’t be trusted with returning pop cans for deposits, let alone budgetary issues affecting millions of people?

    Well, I guess they can be greedy, callous, and hopelessly stupid, too.