Rubio: I’m One of You Guys

RubioHeadlineFFPCNow that his poll numbers have plummeted and his 2016 stock has evaporated, Senator Marco Rubio is hitting the wingnut circuit in an attempt to salvage his wholesome, arch conservative image.

Rubio will keynote a fundraiser this week for a virulently anti-gay organization, the Florida Family Policy Council, in honor of Mat Staver.

via RightWingWatch

The FFPC is led by John Stemberger, the anti-gay activist who most recently helped launch a Boy Scouts splinter group that will ban openly gay youth, and the fundraiser will honor Liberty Counsel head Mat Staver. [...]

Stemberger previously chaired Florida for Marriage, which spearheaded the campaign to pass a state constitutional amendment banning same-sex unions, and founded the anti-gay Boy Scout alternative Trail Life USA. [...]

Mat Staver is the head of the Liberty University School of Law and its legal affiliate, Liberty Counsel, a sponsor of the Values Voter Summit. Liberty Counsel has beenimplicated in the Lisa Miller kidnapping case, where a client kidnapped her daughter and fled to Central America after a court granted custody to her former partner. At a previous Values Voter Summit, Staver claimed that progressives are using LGBT rights and secular government in order to “ultimately implode America” and that the “agenda of the homosexual movement” is to destroy freedom and western civilization.

The Florida Family Policy Council promises that Marco Rubio will make “headlines and news” with a “major policy speech” which he will give in front of an audience that supports the creation of a strictly anti-gay alternative to the Boy Scouts and ex-gay conversion therapy for children.

I have no doubt that Rubio will make headlines and news, it just may not be the headlines and news one needs if they hope to actually win something greater than a primary contest.

Anything else would require outreach. Remember outreach?

Not to go too meta, but this crowd is why Chris Christie’s inevitable campaign will flame out as quickly as Rudy’s did. The Republican party is a regional party, and the liberal northeast is not their region.

(h/t MotherJones)

This entry was posted in Ethics, LGBT and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • muselet

    “A Legacy of Leadership”

    I guess “Forward Into the Past” was already being used.

    This is just another example of The Problem with Leadership in America Today (TM). To wit: They don’t lead, they follow.

    They don’t set a course and work to convince people to follow it. They don’t try/want to inspire folks to share their interest in working for the greater good. Instead, they instead take polls and watch focus groups and wait to be told what they should be today. They grovel and beg and appeal to people’s biases and prejudices in hopes that they get to have power for themselves.

    It isn’t “This is what we should do. I’m going to convince you I’m right.”
    It’s “Who do you want me to be? What do I have to give you to like me? Name it, I’ll do that.”

  • mrbrink

    At least 98% of the GOP is comprised of these idjit-fucking loons who travel in the same circles like a suited-cult, with their own insulated, ideologically-militant, bigot-fueled economy.

    By all means, let’s let them lead! They want it sooo bad. So direct in their pursuit of freedom and liberty for all. Such a noble endeavor could never be mislabeled by opportunistic sociopaths and willful imbeciles.

    The GOP exudes so much collective confidence and certainty about the direction of the country. “You’re either with us, or against us, but mostly against us!” See how simple that is? Leadership! That this type of insanity is considered a suitable foundation for debate is like some terrible recurring nightmare where the media sees this happening and instead of easily arresting the spread of the mental virus that is right wing credibility, they’re just standing around pondering their favorite moments when the president’s inability to compromise with the white, militant, domestic terrorist organization that is the modern Republican party made him look so weak, and ineffective. The GOP has reduced the media to their own advertising agency.

    But you got Marco Rubio and Rand Paul openly endorsing anti-gay religious extremists all over the country. Ted Cruz acting on behalf of fanatical authoritarians trying to take dominion of the U.S. government. George W. Bush– smiling, psychopathic-torchbearer for the good old days of GOP leadership– is scheduled to be the guest of honor this Thursday at a big Jews for Jesus ceremony. So kind of him to donate his precious time to the world by embracing the end of it.

    Remember, it’s all about “what direction you think this country should go!”

    The fucking wingnut goblins and the Chuck Todd enablers who support all of this indiscreet madness and sadism should be studied in a jar.

    As for Chris Christie, he’s the media’s lovable bully and movement conservatism’s duplicitous Koch smoocher. The way I see it shaping us is that they’ll be putting their money behind him for 2016. The Tea Party will be told to get in line, or have their funding cut. The media is already doing his electioneering dirty work for him, as the states’ recent uncle-shouting newspaper endorsements prove. And the Kochs understand that getting a republican who will faithfully execute the oath of loyalty to the Kochs in the White House is going to be the next battle for the ages. With sell-out Democrats in New Jersey pumping up his beer-buddy numbers and the party abandoning any push-back against his re-election, if Chris Christie doesn’t win the GOP nomination in 2016, something will have gone terribly wrong for the Koch brothers.

      “The GOP has reduced the media to their own advertising agency.”

      Never has a truer word been spoken–or written, in this case.

  • cleos_mom

    A “legacy” of leadership? That kind of phrasing is usually employed when referring to someone who’s died.