Unhealthy Balance

While the state of Wisconsin does have a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage, Governor Scott Walker feels that the state has a “healthy balance” of discrimination.

This weekend, Gov. Scott Walker (R-WI) talked to Bloomberg TV’s Al Hunt about the mix of protections and limitations on LGBT rights his state offers, telling the host that the Wisconsin has struck a “healthy balance.” He lauded the state’s nondiscrimination protections for LGBT workers, suggesting the U.S. House should consider the federal Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA), because there have only been “limited problems” with it in Wisconsin. He simultaneously, however, defended its ban on same-sex marriage.

The obvious problem is that Walker feels a need to “balance” civil rights against the sensitivities of bigots.

There is only one right side here, and that side deserves equal treatment under the law. To “balance” civil rights is to indulge the worst elements of society. And yet Walker will probably be forced to abandon this “healthy balance” in favor of complete intolerance if he decides to seek higher office.

Anyone who feels a need to balance civil rights in this manner will probably drop the pretense on a whim if it will benefit them.

This entry was posted in LGBT and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Christopher Foxx

    It’s the same “balance” that Oklahoma recently went for. “The law says we can’t discriminate against gays, so rather than give them the benefits we give heterosexual couples, we’ll deny the benefits to the heteros. See? Fair to all, right?”

    I swear, I’ve despite Republican activities of recent years I don’t think I’ve ever seen an example of such a deep-seated hatred of someone as Mary Fallin must have to prefer harming yourself to treating someone else with basic respect.

      The phrase you are looking for is “cutting off their nose to spite their face”.

      • Christopher Foxx

        Yeah, but that’s been so used the last few days I was trying to avoid the cliche.

    “Separate but Equal” was also an attempt to “balance civil rights against the sensitivities of bigots” as you so aptly phrased it. We all know how that turned out.

  • roxsteady1

    I’m still stunned that anyone believes this cock eyed, dwarft would ever be President.

    • RamOrgan

      It’s only voter suppression that would allow Scooter to carry Wisconsin.

    • muselet

      Charlie Pierce always refers to him as “the goggle-eyed homunculus hired by Koch Industries to manage its Midwestern subsidiary formerly known as the state of Wisconsin.”

      And only Scott Walker believes Scott Walker could possibly be elected President.

      –alopecia