Worst Persons in the World

A right-wing activist group from Florida is encouraging people in Alaska to, yes, not sign up for health insurance.

A conservative group from Florida had a hand in setting up two websites discouraging Alaskans from buying health insurance under the Affordable Care Act, The Alaska Dispatch reported this week.

The websites, dontenrollalaska.org and knowthefactsalaska.org, strike different tones and do not identify their creators, but they share similar layouts and were created on the same day in September. Facebook pages for both groups were also created on the same day, and, according to the Dispatch, television ads for both groups have been running during the same commercial breaks in Alaska.

Yes! Risk bankruptcy or death or both — because Obama!

There you go. That’s a death panel.

(ht Attorney David Benowitz)
This entry was posted in Healthcare, Worst Persons and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Draxiar

    “two websites discouraging Alaskans from buying health insurance under the Affordable Care Act”

    What is really to be gained by doing this? Seriously, I want to know. How is it that convincing someone to not get health insurance is at all beneficial to anyone?

    Or is it that some people just want to watch the world burn?

    • muselet

      It’s sabotage, intended to make the ACA fail. This will—the Right firmly believes—harm the Ds and thereby improve Rs’ electoral chances. Failure would also let the Right claim for decades to come that any future reforms are also doomed to fail (“We tried to change things once before and look what happened! We must stick with what we have!”).

      That’s the best explanation I can come up with for something so stunningly cynical.

      –alopecia

      • Judi

        You hit the nail on the head! That is EXACTLY why these asshats are doing this ~ you don’t think that they urged their ‘pals’ at the insurance companies to start cancelling plans? Of course they did. the GOP are good for the insurance companies bottom line. They were already selling people ‘junk’ policies, that are/were below the minimum standards of the ACA. These polices didn’t cover crap, but they sold them anyway. And now people are pissed that they have been cancelled!! WHAT??? Stunning. But they continue to believe they’ve been screwed, because that is what the media is saying (and not just Faux News!!). I swear I don’t understand the media coverage on this! And, apparantly, it is NOT THEIR JOB to learn the truth, because it’s not like they went to journalism school or anything…

      • D_C_Wilson

        Exactly. They don’t really care if anyone has health insurance, they’re just terrified that the ACA might be successful. Crazy Eyes Bachmann and a few others have let slip that what they’re really trying to do is prevent the democrats from gaining an electoral advantage that will last a generation. They see this as akin to FDR establishing Social Security. Jeebus forbid that the program become popular because then they’ll never have the votes to kill it.

  • Christopher Foxx

    Why not try to convince Floridians to not enroll? Why target people about as far away as possible? Does Florida have some rivalry with Alaska I don’t know about?

    Or am I looking for logic from wingnuts?

    • D_C_Wilson

      I was wondering that, too. Maybe they were hoping the distance would keep their hands “clean”.

      • Christopher Foxx

        I doubt it. That suggests they have at least the stirrings of a conscience and a sense of shame.

    • Zen Diesel

      Considering that a large part of Alaska probably doesn’t have the interwebs and it’s population isn’t very bit, it seems like a doofus idea to setup a website for Alaska.

      • Christopher Foxx

        Well, a quick check shows 84% of Alaskans have internet connections, a higher percent than all but 6 other states (CT, NH, NJ, OR, UT, WA). (Perhaps they need something to keep them from getting bored?)

        In any event, using a web site to try to reach folks you want to turn away from using another web site makes some sense. I still just don’t get why target Alaska rather than some other state.

        It is a very red state, so there’s that. Perhaps this is just a test run in a place where their message is likely to be accepted, in preparation for more such disinformation campaigns elsewhere?

  • JMAshby

    These are the real freeloaders.

    • trgahan

      Seriously, first thought in my mind was Alaska won’t exist if not for billions in federal money. Like any other red state, they all think they’re a bunch of “boot strap rugged individualists” but they have yet to not cash a check.

      • blair houghton

        Context: Alaska cost $7.2 million, in 1867. Adjusted to 2012, that’s only $116 million.

        And it’s full of oil. They’re currently exporting $17.8 billion worth per year.
        By comparison, their next biggest business, crabbing, is worth about $2.5 billion a year.

        There are only 780,000 people in the state. The government ends up spending a net of $15K per person ($17K disbursed minus $2K in fed taxes), or about $12 billion. It’s the state with the highest per capita drain on the federal treasury.

        So, yes. Biggest freeloaders in the country. And Sarah Palin lives off of repurposed campaign contributions. So she’s a freeloader, too.

  • blair houghton

    Alaska is one of a handful of states where people with sufficiently low incomes will receive subsidies that mean they will pay plan premiums as low as $0. Zero. Free Healthcare. This of course drives RWNJs around the bend.