Best Persons in the World

This is what I call stickin’ it to The Man, and when I say The Man I mean Vladimir Putin.

Olympic figure skater Brian Boitano, who won a gold medal at the 1988 Calgary Olympics, has come out as gay, two days after President Obama selected him to serve as part of the official U.S. delegation to the Sochi Olympics in February.

“I am many things: a son, a brother, and uncle, a friend, an athlete, a cook, an author, and being gay is just one part of who I am,” Boitano said in a statement, according to USA Today’s Christine Brennan.

The American delegation is shaping up to be a figurative fuck you to the rabidly anti-gay regime of Putin, and it is delicious. This is change we can believe in.

PicardWining

This entry was posted in LGBT, Russia and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Ipecac

    What would Brian Boitano do?

    Something awesome, it turns out.

  • Christopher Foxx

    Easy for me to say, since I won’t be going, but from the comfort of my armchair can I suggest we also add Greg Louganis, Diana Nyad, Rudy Galindo and Johnny Weir to the delegation and issue all the athletes rainbow pins as part of their official jackets?

    Not that the message isn’t pretty clear already, but some serious nose-rubbing-in-it is well deserved.

  • Sabyen91

    Boitano wasn’t out already? Huh, thought he was for years.