Bobby Jindal Remembers a Thing That Never Existed

If you feel dumber after having read this, well that’s too bad because I had to read it and then immediately take an ibuprofen.

Louisiana Governor Howdy Doody released a statement today on the suspension of Duck Dynasty star and proud bigot Phil Robertson, and in it he fondly recalled a time when the First Amendment applied to corporations and their employees.

“Phil Robertson and his family are great citizens of the State of Louisiana. The politically correct crowd is tolerant of all viewpoints, except those they disagree with. I don’t agree with quite a bit of stuff I read in magazine interviews or see on TV. In fact, come to think of it, I find a good bit of it offensive. But I also acknowledge that this is a free country and everyone is entitled to express their views. In fact, I remember when TV networks believed in the First Amendment. It is a messed up situation when Miley Cyrus gets a laugh, and Phil Robertson gets suspended.”

The endless parade of buffoons who would get the right to “free speech” wrong on this day was seen coming the moment A&E suspended Phil Robertson.

Not that it needs to be said, but the First Amendment does not shield you from the consequences when you say things like this:

“It seems like, to me, a vagina—as a man—would be more desirable than a man’s anus. That’s just me. I’m just thinking: There’s more there! She’s got more to offer. I mean, come on, dudes! You know what I’m saying? But hey, sin: It’s not logical, my man. It’s just not logical.”

Or this:

“Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I’m with the blacks, because we’re white trash. They’re singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, ‘I tell you what: These doggone white people’—not a word!… Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues.”

Here’s a moment I remember far more vividly than the First Amendment applying to corporations and reality TV stars because it actually happened.

Bobby Jindal is very concerned

It’s quite a spectacle to see the usual suspects condemn A&E and support Phil Robertson less than a month after they called for Martin Bashir’s head for, you know, expressing his views.

This entry was posted in LGBT, Racism, Stupid Party, Super Stupid and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Pirate Wench

    Well – he got the “white trash” part absolutely right….

  • Lady Willpower

    It’s because they only really support a very specific brand of free speech. If you’re a homophobic bigot, you’re allowed as much free speech as you like.
    If you’re Bill Maher and you call Sarah Palin a cunt, expect Sean Hannity to bring that up every day for the next 50 years as evidence of the left’s “moral bankruptcy.”

  • muselet

    I think Chez had the best reaction:

    A&E has some serious nerve putting Duck Dynasty patriarch Phil Robertson on “indefinite suspension” following a series of unbelievably homophobic comments he made during a newly published GQ interview. I don’t say this because I think what Robertson said was acceptable or because I believe the punishment is somehow disproportional to the crime here — I say it because it’s laughably disingenuous for A&E network executives to suddenly balk and express shock and righteous indignation that this cantankerous Bible-thumping redneck they pay to act like a cantankerous Bible-thumping redneck on a reality TV show really is a cantankerous Bible-thumping redneck.

    Truer words were seldom written.

    And Bobby Jindal is a chucklehead.

    –alopecia

  • JimmyAbra

    “…The politically correct crowd is tolerant of all viewpoints, except those they disagree with….”

    Let’s set the record straight…You can be an intolerant bigot, racist, homophobe, etc. all you want. But it is GOOD and RIGHT to be intolerant of the “intolerant bigot, racist, homophobe, etc.” It isn’t being “politically correct.” It is being “correct”. Period. No “politically”. There is good and bad intolerance much in the same way there is good and bad stress. Bad Intolerance = being prejudging, bigoted, and oppressive of those base on shallow classifications. Good Intolerance = being intolerant of those who are “Bad Intolerant”.

  • Christopher Foxx

    “It seems like, to me, a vagina—as a man—would be more desirable than a man’s anus. That’s just me. I’m just thinking: There’s more there! She’s got more to offer. I mean, come on, dudes! You know what I’m saying? But hey, sin: It’s not logical, my man. It’s just not logical.”

    I actually don’t see what’s so offensive about that one. He’s saying he doesn’t understand why some folks have certain preferences. Certainly other comments he’s made are homophobic and racist, but I don’t see that one makes a good example.

    “It seems like, to me, a football—as a man—would be more desirable than tennis. That’s just me. I’m just thinking: There’s more there! It’s got more to offer….”

  • CL Nicholson

    The fact that Kenneth the Page decided to put his two cents is probably made angrier than the comment itself.

    Bobby Jindal should be embarrassed as a sitting government official, an educated man (he is a flipping Rhode Scholar with masters from Oxford) and a person of color to be even involved in this nonsense.

    Is Jindal that desperate to become the next GOP Top Dog that he’s going out of his way to defend a man who basically said that the racism his own family no doubt faced in the South was non-existent in the 60’s? What?! OK, I’m going to calm down. Its not worth the headache.