Here’s To 2013!

An illustrated guide to the past year in pop culture:

Beutler_Heres_to_2013_FINAL_640_515_s_c1_c_t_0_0

Illustration by Beutler Ink

Meanwhile, in an interview with La Stampa, Pope Francis reiterated what the church thinks of trickle-down economics(excerpt):

The only specific quote I used was the one regarding the “trickle-down theories” which assume that economic growth, encouraged by a free market, will inevitably succeed in bringing about greater justice and social inclusiveness in the world. The promise was that when the glass was full, it would overflow, benefitting the poor. But what happens instead, is that when the glass is full, it magically gets bigger nothing ever comes out for the poor. This was the only reference to a specific theory. I was not, I repeat, speaking from a technical point of view but according to the Church’s social doctrine. This does not mean being a Marxist.”

See, it’s not Marxist to recognize that Reaganomics is an unholy concept. But asked what he feels about being called “a Marxist” by Right wing conservatives in the U.S., the pope responded, “The Marxist ideology is wrong. But I have met many Marxists in my life who are good people, so I don’t feel offended.”

He’s not offended! Just don’t call him a ‘supply-sider’ or he will go off.

This entry was posted in Cartoons, Jobs, Open Thread, Quote, The Economy and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • mdblanche

    Sad news: there’s been another addition to the top of the cartoon.

    RIP Peter O’Toole

    • muselet

      Another one of the greats is gone.

    I’m annoyed by how many references in the cartoon I understand. I try to avoid knowing too much about pop culture, and now I find it crept into my brain anyway.

    Maybe I’ll do better next year.

    –alopecia

    • ranger11

      Why was Godzilla there? And who was the little guy in the bear suit? I got maybe half of that stuff. Pop culture is getting weird.

      I actually don’t know that many but I do enjoy the ones I recognize (like the Jon Snow character in the bottom left corner in front of the HBO store). At least it’s a nerdy pop culture reference….maybe those don’t count?

  • Badgerite

    Jesus, you’d think the Pope challenged the theory of Divine Right of Kings, or something.

  • JMAshby

    Spectacular ‘toon

    GIF vs JIF Ha!