Keep Up the Stupid, Tea Party, You’re Doing Great!

The tea party group called National Liberty Federation posted this image to its Facebook page:

tea_party_bioshock

The group posted this as a serious representation of its anti-immigration posture. The problem is, as video gamers will recognize, the image is from Bioshock and it was included in the game as a way of mocking far-right bigotry.

Doy. Good job, tea party!

The post has since been deleted.

(h/t Tony Munter)
This entry was posted in Racism, Wingnuts and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Draxiar

    HAHA! That’s laughably delicious!

  • Nefercat

    “The post has since been deleted.”

    And by “has since been deleted”, we mean “can be seen forevermore on the internets.”

    • Arcnor

      They have problems understanding irony and distinguishing satire from reality, so the fact that they don’t understand the concepts of cached copies and screen captures is hardly surprising.

  • GrafZeppelin127

    These people have absolutely no idea how ridiculous they are.

  • GrafZeppelin127

    …and did anyone notice the slogan on the ribbon around the eagle medallion in the upper right corner? It says: “FOR PURITY.”

    Really? “For purity”? That sounds awfully familiar……..

  • zirgar

    “Foreign Hordes” being sanity, reason, intelligence, competence and decency, apparently.

  • Ipecac

    It is incredibly telling that no flags were raised by the ridiculously racist images of the “foreign hordes” and hilarious that they appropriated a satirical image from a video game. Kind of like that brief window when they were calling themselves Teabaggers.

    • D_C_Wilson

      Well, they can’t even proofread their own signs, so . . .

  • Arcnor

    Ooh! Ooh! Someone give them a transcript of one of Andrew Ryan’s (satirical) rants on Randian economics and see if they try to push it as a serious budget package!

    • WiscoJoe

      I can’t tell you how many time I’ve gotten into arguments with libertarian gamers that swear the original Bioshock was totally meant to show how awesome Ayn Rand’s philosophy is. Their logic is that Andrew Ryan is actually meant to represent the opposite of what Ayn Rand was actually about if you squint your eyes and turn your head just right. Not exactly objective thinking…

      • Zen Diesel

        I think deep down, they are too ashamed to admit that what happened in Rapture would be the only logical conclusion to following Ayn Rands philosophy.

      • Arcnor

        Given that the typical Objectivist’s concept of “objective thinking” is “facts are not subjective and appear the same from all sides and are experienced the same by all observers; I have the facts because clearly I have reached what is, objectively, the right answer; you do not have any ‘facts’ that I recognize, therefore your ‘facts’ are not facts, therefore you’re wrong and deserve belittling,” it doesn’t surprise me that libertarians refuse to see the satire and the flaws in Andrew Ryan’s philosophy.

        And also they tend to be some of the most humourless narcissists one can encounter on the web, which is saying something.

      • D_C_Wilson

        What do you expect? These are people who don’t see that Colbert is satirizing them.

  • Mike_Norris

    Idiots…

  • Churchlady320

    I can’t ever get past the rage by the people whose ancestors were those MY ancestors – smug privileged WASPs – wanted to keep out, too. I used to think my forebears were wrong. Maybe not. These folks like Tom Tancredo et al. have NO sense of irony about themselves, never mind the origin of this lunatic image. There should be no racial or ethnic or national origin test for citizenship, but surely historical understanding and self reflection might be?

  • Zen Diesel

    Speaking of Bioshock, the game itself gives a real nightmarish glimpse of Ayn Rand utopian bullshit ideas. To make a long story short, in the pure free market society, the inhabitants end up going batshit crazy in their quest for the perfect society. The hero unfortunately has to figure out how to survive as the society is burning down to the ground around him.

  • trgahan

    Yep, that Tea Party is totally only concerned with fiscal responsibility in government. Never an Astroturf rebranding of the same group of low intelligence, hypocritical racists that have always been the GOP base.

    BTW, if Nation Liberty Federation really agrees with the image, does that mean the average Tea Partier still fears the Irish, Slavs, and Italians? That’s still a thing?!?

      Notice how the Irish man has a cup in hand….because us Micks are always on the sauce! We all started drinking back when we were but babes and drank communion wine mixed in with our own mother’s milk. Yeah, one would have thought they’d be over the “Irish Catlick” fears…..

      • D_C_Wilson

        Nah, they just buried their fear of “papists” because they find conservative Catholics like Santorum, Hannity, and O’Reilly useful idiots on the cultural war front. They have a list of priorities that they’re working off of. Gays, atheists, and Hispanics* are at the top right now. Irish and Italian Catholics are further down, but they’ll get to them eventually.

        *Hispanic-Canadian-Americans like Ted Cruz who speak fluent rapture-ready are given special dispensation.

          First they came for the browns…then they came for the godless…..Then they came for the Micks and I ran like hell. etc, etc.

  • Kennet

    They told us video games were the cause…

  • Zen Diesel

    A snapshot before the teatards took the photo down.

      Saddest part about it is that there are over 2300 likes on the damn thing.

  • LeShan Jones

    The Bioshock games are pretty much an indictment against conservative thought. The original game was intended to be based on Ayn Rand’s twisted philosophy, that’s why Rapture’s creator was a man named Andrew Ryan who also emigrated from Russia around the time of the Great War.

    Bioshock Infinite which is where this image is from gives an example of the rampant brand of racism and nativism that was virulent back during the turn of the century, right down to
    twisted characterizations of the founding fathers and a demonization of Abraham Lincoln. It’s a great game with an interesting twist to it, but it shows an unblinking example of the type of thinking that animates the teabaggers perfectly.