Keepin’ it Classy

The annoying trend of naming your own Person of the Year out of spite has taken a new direction today.

via CBS St. Louis

SEDALIA, Mo. (KMOX) – Inspired by Time Magazine’s well-known list, Sedalia, Missouri now has its own Person of the Year Award and the 2013 competition isn’t even close. [...]

Tuffy Gessling, better known as Tuffy the Clown, is a rodeo clown who wore a mask of President Obama at the fair, asking those in the crowd if they wanted to see the president gored by a bull.

ObamaRodeoClown

As you may recall, this is how one man who was in attendance that day described the scene.

“It was the usual until the very end at bull riding,” he said. “As they were bringing the bulls into the chute and prepping them … they bring out what looks like a dummy. The announcer says ‘Here’s our Obama dummy, or our dummy of Obama.

“They mentioned the president’s name, I don’t know, 100 times. It was sickening,” Beam said. “It was feeling like some kind of Klan rally you’d see on TV.”

Person of the Year.

This entry was posted in Racism and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

    OFFS, what a bunch of assholes. Seriously.

  • D_C_Wilson

    Missouri must be proud.

  • Lady Willpower

    I’ve spent a lot of time in Missouri, and yes they’re really like this.

  • muselet

    Wikipedia says of Sedalia, Missouri:

    The racial makeup of the city is 88.62% White, 4.95% African American, 0.40% Asian, 0.39% Native American, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 3.75% from other races, and 1.86% from two or more races. 5.55% of the population are Hispanic or Latino of any race.

    Hmm. I wonder if there’s a connection between this and the voting results?

    Agreed that this is an offensive and hateful choice, but… Time is the only one that gets to name a Person of the Year now?

      No, of course not and you know that’s not what they are saying. It’s the motivation behind it–to be inflammatory jerks that is the problem.

      • Christopher Foxx

        My bad. Somehow I missed the “out of spite” in the first sentence which made it sound like only Time gets to name a Person of the Year.

        • JMAshby

          Out of spite for who Time chose to name. Absolutely. They’ve all but directly admitted it themselves. Glenn Beck certainly did.