Michigan GOP Passes Rape Insurance Law, Because Outreach

I was clearly mistaken when I opined that even the Republican party wouldn’t want to be known for mandating rape insurance.

They passed this shit without a second thought.

Michigan lawmakers passed a controversial measure on Wednesday that will ban all insurance plans in the state from covering abortion unless the woman’s life is in danger. The law, which takes effect in March, will force women and employers to purchase a separate abortion rider if they would like the procedure covered, even in cases of rape and incest.

It’s called the “Abortion Insurance Opt-Out Act,” because obviously men don’t need it and women shouldn’t need it if they’re keeping their legs closed and not enticing would-be rapists with slutty dress, amirite? Duh!

The Michigan Republican party has it all figured it out. Take notes, ladies.

Maybe they should have called it the Freedom to Not Have Abortion Coverage Act. Or perhaps the Women Must Pay More Because They’re Women Act. And there’s always my favorite, the Women Should Just Keep Their Legs Closed Act.

I jest, of course. In all seriousness, this is despicable and it comes at an awkward time as the Republican party gathers ’round the pony-keg and learns how to speak to women without saying things like “legitimate rape.”

Between this and Iowa Republican Senate candidate Mark Jacobs explaining that the best way to talk to women is to appeal to their emotions, I’d say they’re off to predictably-horrible start.

The bill will now become law even without Governor Rick Snyder’s approval.

War on Women Fiction

“Now if the Democrats said we had a war on caterpillars then every mainstream media outlet talked about the fact that Republicans have a war on caterpillars, so then we’d have a problem with caterpillars. I mean, the fact of the matter is it’s a fiction.” -RNC Chairman Reince Priebus on the War on Women

This entry was posted in Ethics, Healthcare, War On Women and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

    This law is so ugly and so egregious….I can’t even formulate words right now. It’s like some kind of nightmare…a step toward Gilead as Digby put it.

  • D_C_Wilson

    I wish I could say I was wrong on this, but yeah, I wasn’t wrong. They’ve been doing this kind of thing all over the country. They figured out that if they can’t ban abortion outright, they can at least make it out of reach for as many women as possible. This is just the next level below transvaginal ultrasounds and regulations specifically designed to make it nearly impossible to operate an abortion clinic in their state. The next step is to put so many restrictions on the policies that no insurance company will offer abortion coverage, even as a separate rider.

  • trgahan

    Yeah, real suprised this law was so poorly named. Not like the GOP to not use something like “Freedom of Life Act” er some B.S. Orwellian phrasing.

    I’m sure the predictable reaction of the majority of Michigan women expressed through their voting will only make Michigan GOP lawmakers include gender to racial and socio-economic focused voter ID laws.

  • Nefercat

    You know, I have had it with the “I don’t like __________, so none of my premium/tax dollars should have to pay for it” argument. You know what? When has that ever worked in regard to say, war?

    I live in Michigan and sadly, our legislature is full of teabagger loons, although our local state rep was replaced by a Democrat in 2012, so maybe the tide will be turning.

  • Tony Lavely

    I’ve not read the details, but how can insurance companies provide a rider if the coverage is banned?

    • Badgerite

      Not only that, but this would seem to me to violate Supreme Court rulings that establish the principle that a state cannot enact a law that has the effect of an undue burden on the right to obtain an abortion, if desired or needed. Banning insurance coverage in the state. How is that not an undue burden? What purpose does it serve other than to burden a woman in exercising this right? It seems to me that this is the only purpose of the law. And how is that a legitimate purpose?

        I think the right knows it violates that but they want it to end up in front of SCOTUS because it’s stacked with conservatives. They’re trying everything they can to get a case on abortion up there so they can start changing things via judicial activism (and all the irony that implies). And in the years that it will take the case to rise to SCOTUS many women will not be able to get abortions. In their mind, it’s unconstitutionality is a win-win.

        • Badgerite

          Well, yeah. When they refused to enjoin the Texas law requiring hospital privileges for clinic staff, pre any ruling, that slut down something like a third of the clinics in rural areas where an abortion can be obtained and the ruling was a 5/4 vote, the writings on the wall as to what the leanings are of the 5.
          To me, this gets into the area where state laws on murder so diverge as to be not a uniform system of law. I personally think that is dangerous.

  • Kealii Na Kolenekeo

    This idiotic Law is opening doors that increases criminal activity against, women opposed to to protecting women. I’m not surprised the GOP can find something to deprive whats important to the people as, opposed to fighting for the rights of the people. This is bullshit!

    Every woman in Michigan should understand that this law makes it highly likely that many victims of rape in Michigan will have to carry their rapist’s child to term. I can not think of anything they could do to women in Michigan that would be more heinous.

    Between our [former] venture capitalist governor, and our wingnut legislature, it’s like we’re living in a different country.

      “it’s like we’re living in a different country”

      We are, now, living in a different country. And it’s one that I’m increasingly fearful of…a little for myself but mostly for my daughters and nieces.