Nuclear War Advocate Rep. Duncan Hunter says Middle Easterners are All Liars

Duncan-Hunter
Hot off of his advocacy for nuclear war, Representative Duncan Hunter (R-CA) says that countries in the middle east can’t be trusted to negotiate in good faith because it’s in their culture to lie.

Who else could be described that way?

“In the Middle Eastern culture, it is looked upon with very high regard to get the best deal possible no matter what it takes — and that includes lying,” Hunter said in an interview with C-SPAN. “That’s one reason that these Gulf states like to work with the United States — because we’re honest and transparent and we have laws that we have to live by.” [...]

“If you’re willing to blow yourself up and commit suicide in order to blow up other people, you are not a rational person. And that’s who you’re dealing with when you’re dealing with the Iranians,” he said. “They have lied over and over and over. They are liars.”

In the Republican culture, it is looked upon with very high regard to get the best deal possible no matter what it takes — and that includes lying. If you’re willing to shut the government down and commit political suicide in order to harm other people, you are not a rational person. And that’s who you’re dealing with when you’re dealing with the Republicans. They have lied over and over and over. They are liars.

What I just said is far more empirical than to say the entire Middle East is full of liars.

Is Hunter comparing himself to Iranian hardliners? He may be on to something.

This entry was posted in Iran, Lying Liars and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

    Is Hunter comparing himself to Iranian hardliners? He may be on to something.

    LOL They don’t call these guys Teahadists and American Taliban for nothing!

  • Christopher Foxx

    In the Republican culture, it is looked upon with very high regard to get the best deal possible no matter what it takes — and that includes lying. If you’re willing to shut the government down and commit political suicide in order to harm other people, you are not a rational person. And that’s who you’re dealing with when you’re dealing with the Republicans.

    Exactly.

    How nice would it have been if the interviewer at CSPAN had actually asked him that. “So a group that would do anything it takes, including lying or causing harm to themselves, the people in that group are inherently untrustworthy?” “Yes, as I said.” So how do you reconcile that with what the Republicans have done recently. For example, when…” and really pressed him on it.

    sigh

  • muselet

    This is as predictable as the sunrise:

    Joe Kasper, Hunter’s director of communications, clarified to TPM in an email that the representative does not believe it is in the Middle Eastern culture to lie and that he was talking about Middle Eastern leadership.

    “I recall when asked to specify on one of the issues, he said the goal is to get the best deal in general terms,” Kasper said. “But to be specific, he was talking about the political culture.”

    I actually feel a tiny bit sorry for Joe Kasper, who has the unenviable job of trying to explain away his boss’s more imbecilic comments. “Oh, no, the Congressman didn’t actually say what everyone heard him say. What he said was something microscopically less offensive but still profoundly stupid.”

    The problem for Kasper is that his boss said this in the interview:

    “It is is in the Middle Eastern culture to get the best deal that you can whether you’re at the marketplace arguing over buying vegetables or buying shoes at the marketplace, to do anything that you can to get the best deal,” he said. “They like to barter there.”

    No matter how desperately he spins, Kasper can’t make Duncan Hunter sound any less like an unusually dim, racist warmonger.

    Hmmm, Issa is “Middle Eastern”.
    Also, too: Pop Quiz! Which “Middle Eastern” culture first used suicide bombers?

  • Lili

    I am from Iran and his offensive words were really embarrassing. As an Iranian I confidentially say that he is the most liar politician which I’ve ever seen. He even couldn’t pronounce IRAN precisely and now is pretending to know enough about Iran and middle east.

  • mrbrink

    Genocidal and racist? This is exactly the sort of final solution leadership this country needs to restore fiscal conservatism once and for all.

    Heil Hunter! Vote Republican!

      Next he’ll suggest we invade Iran to “liberate” the practically non-existent Jewish population. Liberate Danzig Redux!

  • safi assadi-rimmer

    Hunters’ comments about middle easterners deserves the “biggest lol of the year ” award. Given the US was founded by the British cheating, illegally appropriating, occupying and genociding an entire native population out of their ancestral honeland in exchange for a few beads and various diseases. That middle-easterners bargain & bartner & dont accept arbitary pricing on their home turf pails into insignificance given what land-grabbing havoc wreaking colonialists (Hunters’ ancestry) have done. This gormlesd Cowboy needs a history lesson.