Obamacare is Working

While the White House Press Corps asks the president about his gaffes, failures, and poll numbers, he’s quietly succeeding behind the scenes where the beltway media dare not look.

About 1.7 million poor Americans looking for health coverage were deemed eligible for Medicaid or the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) in November, according to new government data released on Friday. The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) also revised previous estimates that about 1.5 million people qualified for Medicaid or CHIP in October up to 2.1 million. All told, that means that just under four million low-income Americans now have access to public health insurance.

Four million.

That number would be far higher if Rick Perry’s Texas or Scott Walker’s Wisconsin participated in the expansion.

I imagine that refusing to expand Medicaid will be a litmus test for 2016 hopefuls which they will have to rationalize to the millions of people they’re denying healthcare to. They won’t have the Mitt Romney defense of “it works for my state but not your state” to fall back on.

This entry was posted in Healthcare and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Christopher Foxx

    I imagine that refusing to expand Medicaid will be a litmus test for 2016 hopefuls which they will have to rationalize to the millions of people they’re denying healthcare to.

    Certainly will be if reporters and Democratic opponents keep asking them flat out “Why are you so adamant about denying healthcare to millions of Americans? Why do you insist that they don’t get what you have given to you?”

    If.

    • brian whittle

      Scott Walker will be asked that very question next year, I suspect he will be found wanting, regardless of his survived recall.

      • Christopher Foxx

        Fingers crossed that he gets asked, and pushed to actually answer.

        (Fingers crossed, but not holding my breath. Such is the state of “journalism” today.)

      • D_C_Wilson

        I’m hoping Corbett gets asked it as well.

      • Sabyen91

        Scott Walker is now pushing a sales tax to replace the income tax. He is going to get hammered on a lot of things.

  • muselet

    The Right’s hatred of Barack Obama is nearly matched by its hatred of the poors.

    And will fucking dumbasses in the media, like Chris Mathews, recognize this? NOOOOOOO!