Rand Paul’s War on Christmas

FauxWaronChristmas

Senator Rand Paul is threatening to cancel Christmas vacation for his colleagues and their staff if we don’t agree to audit the Fed. Of course he is.

We’ll try to slow it down or stop it as much as we can,” he said. “We’ve told them that we will allow it to move forward and expedite it if they give us a vote on ‘Audit the Fed.’” [...]

“I just came from talking to [Democratic] leadership, and I said I’ll be happy to get out of the way … 30 hours’ worth of debate is always something to use as leverage to get something else you want,” he said. “I’m not against the process of government moving forward. But it should be give and take. Right now, there’s all take on one side, and no give.”

He’s not against the process of government moving forward, however he does intend to delay confirmation of Janet Yellen for a full 30 hours if we don’t vote on his libertarian pipe-dream of auditing the Federal Reserve.

Auditing the Fed would be a disaster. Why? Because the overwhelming majority of people, including Rand Paul, would have no idea what it is they’re looking at. One can only imagine the faux outrage and phony hearings that would take place on capital hill after an audit. The Oversight Committee would go from being the trashcan fire that it is now to being a dumpster fire.

What Rand Paul and his ilk hope to find by auditing the Fed is evidence of a grand conspiracy and, hopefully, an excuse to bring back the gold standard.

This entry was posted in Rand Paul, Wingnuts and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • trgahan

    I’d argue what Rand et al. are really doing is just knowingly setting the bar for the ultimate victory of free market conservatism (parading as faux-libertarianism since 2009) so unrealistically high that their supporters will keep sacrificing more of their own wealth, rights, and self-interests in the name of obtaining said, and mythical, ultimate “victory.”

    The Pauls have been using this snake oil that will make the right people millionaires and put THOSE people in their place once and for all to enrich themselves for decades.

  • Christopher Foxx

    Wingnut Base: “There must be something going on at the Fed.”
    Rational Person: “Why would you say that? There’s been no indication of any grand (or small) conspiracy at the Fed.”
    Wingnut Base: “But they want to audit it. Why would they want to audit it if there was nothing wrong? So there must be. And it must be pretty big because they wouldn’t do a whole audit it it wasn’t.”

    Wingnut logic.

    • D_C_Wilson

      The thing is, if they did audit the Fed they’d just find that it’s an agency that adjusts interest rates and lending to keep inflation in check. In other words, what its primary mission is. They’re not going to find, as I’m sure many of Randy’s supporters believe, that it’s a satanic coven controlled by shapeshifting space reptilians.

      But no matter what is found, Randy will act shocked and horrified because he is philosophically opposed to the Fed’s very existence. This isn’t really about uncovering malfeasance. It’s about fishing for an excuse to ban it.

      • Christopher Foxx

        This isn’t really about uncovering malfeasance.

        Of course not. It’s about putting on a show and keeping the base distracted.

  • D_C_Wilson

    You know, there was a time, not too long ago, where if a freshman senator threatened to obstruct the business of Congress and cancel their Christmas vacation, he would have been quickly and firmly taken to the woodshed by his more senior colleagues. There were some protocols you just didn’t violate. Not if you wanted to have a lasting career in Congress.

    Now that we live in a time where the Senate’s most senior republican is scared shitless of being primaried by a complete unknown whose main qualification is that he’s even more more batshit crazy than Rand Paul, those days of decorum are long over.

      “those days of decorum are long over”

      And FSM help us.

  • muselet

    Rand Paul has made this threat before. He’s just carrying on the proud Paul family tradition of being utter nitwits.

    Also, more than a dumpster fire.

    –alopecia