Rep. Kingston Asks: Are There No Workhouses for Poor Kids?

BoehnerKingston

Representative Jack Kingston (R-GA) is reviving Newt Gingrich’s 2012 campaign one deplorable idea at a time.

KINGSTON: “But one of the things I’ve talked to the secretary of agriculture about: Why don’t you have the kids pay a dime, pay a nickel to instill in them that there is, in fact, no such thing as a free lunch? Or maybe sweep the floor of the cafeteria — and yes, I understand that that would be an administrative problem, and I understand that it would probably lose you money. But think what we would gain as a society in getting people — getting the myth out of their head that there is such a thing as a free lunch.”

Think of what we would gain as a society by constantly reminding poor children that they’re poor while their fellow students and friends eat lunch without sweeping the floor. We should make it clear to them at a young age that they will be wage slaves their whole lives while their privileged peers live off interest. Because there’s no such thing as a free lunch. Or is there?

There’s no polite way to put this; Jack Kingston is a sociopath and so is anyone else who proposes that we force children to do manual labor if they want to eat.

This entry was posted in Education, Ethics and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • jebediahspringfield

    Funny, isn’t it, that assholes like this never seem to get quite so exercised about giant subsidies to profitable industries. Is that not a free lunch? I guess its a problem if its a free lunch for a poor kid who might never vote Republican, but no problem at all to, for example, build big fancy stadiums at public expense for the benefit of wealthy team owners.

  • muselet

    … I understand that it would probably lose you money.

    Fiscal conservativism in action!

    But think what we would gain as a society in getting people — getting the myth out of their head that there is such a thing as a free lunch.

    It’s good to know Jack Kingston cares so much about society that he’s willing to sacrifice children’s well-being in order that the ghost of Ayn Rand be appeased.

    There’s no polite way to put this; Jack Kingston is a sociopath and so
    is anyone else who proposes that we force children to do manual labor if
    they want to eat.

    Absolutely spot on.

    I’ve recently concluded that a majority of sociopaths in this country gravitate quite naturally to the Republican Party.

    (the U.S. can brag that we have become a breeding ground for
    sociopaths/psychopaths as it is estimated that 12+ million of these people without a
    conscience are living in this country)

  • Victor_the_Crab

    Any more of these sociopaths that say and come up with ways of punishing and humiliating the poor for being poor need to be severely slapped across their faces.

  • http://www.broadwaycarl.com Broadway Carl

    Soooo… we instill a work ethic in poor kids by making them work for their lunch. How do we instill a work ethic in the rich kids? Or do they inherently have a work ethic gene by virtue of being born into a wealthy family?

    • cleos_mom

      Those rich kids enjoying their paid lunch while the poor ones sweep floors and clean toilets is a classic GOP wet dream.

  • MrDHalen

    The most depressing thing for me is how people who suggest things like this are no longer shamed out of the public eye. How more and more people feel its okay for their neighbors to starve so that they can get an extra Starbucks coffee. Sad!

  • hanadora444

    Since Mr. Kingston works for the less useful half of the least productive Congress in history, (and one which seems to spend insane amounts of time on vacation,) shouldn’t he and his ilk also be made to sweep some floors before getting paid?

  • mgardener

    So maybe all those Congress critters who get farm subsidies should be working on the farm instead of mooching off the tax payers?

    • Zen Diesel

      Your being too logical….lol, it’s only the poor people bringing the country down.

  • Christopher Foxx

    I get, to some extent, where he’s coming from. It’s not an inherently bad idea that folks should learn that they need to work for what they get. There should be a bare minimum that we make sure folks get (basic food. clothing, shelter, healthcare, education, etc.) particularly when they’re kids, but building a work ethic is a good thing.

    The flaw in Kingston’s understanding of the world is that the people he see as getting a “free lunch” aren’t really and, far more significantly, Kingston sees things from the very narrow point of view of those who have rather than those who have not.

    Like typical “conservatives” these days, Kingston sees only what something costs him and not what it provides to a person in need. It’s like the charitable organizations that point out things like a $15 donation could feed a family of four for a week. (Whatever the actual numbers are, the money goes a long way.) Would Kingston miss the fifteen bucks? Of course not, wouldn’t notice it. But all he sees is what he doesn’t have.

    His interest in “what we would gain as a society” is similarly skewed by his narrow, selfish viewpoint. Society actually benefits from having healthy, educated people. In Kingston’s view, society benefits from not inconveniencing him.

    • mrbrink

      Yes, all kids should learn the value of forced labor at school. Waking up at 7 a.m., waiting for a bus in the cold, on empty stomachs, shuffling from class to class, subject to subject– just isn’t enough work ethic training in today’s trickle down economics paradise. Dealing with peer-pressure, overcoming social impediments, as well as the constant disciplinary threats for so much as chewing gum. All the after-school activities, homework, or weekend funding drives– like car washes and lemonade stands– all because the money for an educated workforce keeps being sucked out of books and technology and infrastructure upgrades and either into corporate incentives or new football equipment.

      Recess will now be called “Happy Hour,” and all the kids can learn early the values of drinking away their low-wage work-related stress.

      We won’t have to hire people to sweep and mop the schools, and when these other people’s kids get older, a nickel + minimum wage will seem like a windfall/blessing from their job creator overlords. Of course, we’ll have to build more prisons and bars, probably loosen gun laws so more, but imagine the lessons they’ll learn because some functioning imbecile thinks kids don’t have it tough enough.

      Someone should check Jack Kingston’s computer for work camp kiddie porn.