SpaghettiOs Gets It

SpaghettiOs, with its perpetually-smiling, gym shoe-wearing, googly-eyed mascots that walk a fine line between friendly brand identity and F.D.A. approved cannibalism-in-a-can, recently encouraged everyone to take a moment to remember the attack on Pearl Harbor with all the inedible dignity and canned patriotism that could only be provided by America’s favorite Cold War era bomb shelter foods and their kid-friendly marketing departments.

Needless to say, it was a date which will live in infamy.

And the internet wins again.

This entry was posted in Epic Fail, Food, Internet and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • blair houghton

    You know, if it had been a meatball holding the flag, someone would’ve got hurt.

  • muselet

    Okay, Campbell Soup should have known better than to try product placement in a Pearl Harbor remembrance, but lose the goofy picture and there’s absolutely nothing offensive about the tweet.

    Let’s just call this an “oops” moment and move on.

      but lose the goofy picture and there’s absolutely nothing offensive about the tweet.

      And their response was perfect. Very much a “We goofed and apologize” rather then the “Sorry you decided to be offended” we typically see.

      This is attempting to make something out of a molehill. By all means, move on.

    • mrbrink

      I agree, for the most part. But Campbell’s Soup has funded anti-labeling campaigns, while using smiley-faced, kid-friendly characters as brand identity. The internet reaction I linked to was more lighthearted than malicious. It would have been cultural malfeasance to let this moment go unflogged. I’m sure the Campbell Soup Company’s feelings can take it. Under the circumstances, I think the company handled the situation very well.

      • muselet

        Oh, I get it, and I wasn’t defending Campbell Soup, at least not on general principles.

        I suppose my point was that companies really need to learn how to use social media before they, you know, use social media.

        –alopecia