The Iran Deal Is Not Munich, Dammit

Another yayhoo went full Godwin yesterday:

Rep. Ted Poe (R-TX) on Monday compared the interim Iranian nuclear deal to Britain’s appeasement of Nazi Germany, according to the Hill.

“Prime Minister Chamberlain would have been proud after the West gave the snake oil salesman of the desert, Mr. Rouhani, exactly what he wanted: time and money to pursue his quest for nuclear intimidation,” Poe said on the House floor, as recorded by the Hill.

Poe added that the “appeasement West was willing to sell out Israel and Saudi Arabia for peace in our time.”

Poe was referring to the Munich Agreement of 1938, in which European leaders ceded parts of Czechloslovakia to Germany, hoping it would lead to peace in the region.

John Schindler wrote an excellent post over at The XX Committee entirely debunking the Iran/Munich thing. The salient passage:

I am, however, sure that the “Munich” analogy bears absolutely no resemblance to what is going on in the Middle East now, and ought to be shelved, perhaps permanently. Operation PERSIAN FREEDOM is not on the table, no matter what overheated pundits tell you, so let the diplomats and spies do what they do and win their quiet victories over Tehran.

This entry was posted in History, Iran and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

    Yes, we need more “quiet victories” because the ones supposedly occurring at gunpoint haven’t worked out so well for us. The frigging hawks would have us embroiled for decades to come and the fact that President Obama has put up a major barrier to a war with Iran may be a VERY important long term legacy (among others).

  • Ipecac

    Asshats. Do they think Iran isn’t aware that if they even come close to developing a bomb the odds of them being preemptively attacked by Israel are close to 100%? It makes all kinds of sense for Iran to negotiate an agreement out of this mess rather than provoke a confrontation they can’t win.

    But to the Right they’re all “scary terrorists” so comparisons to Hitler are always appropriate and correct.

  • Brutlyhonest

    Hey, there’s a lot of money to be made by warring with Iran (or anyone else). Even more than is being made via backdoor, sanction-skirting deals.

    Also,too: Israel first!

  • D_C_Wilson

    But Maaaaahm! I haven’t started a war in almost eight years!

    • Churchlady320

      And you’re not going to either! Now take your meds and go to your room. And just STAY there until you get a hold of yourself, you little warmonger you.

      Shut up and eat your Cheesypoofs!

  • muselet

    As I said last week, the Right in the US counts on people not to know that Neville Chamberlain was leader of the Conservative Party.

    (The Right in the UK is painfully aware of that fact, so the Righty line there is that Chamberlain knew full well that Adolf Hitler was a dangerous, genocidal madman, but signed the Munich Agreement in order to give England time to build up its military, especially its air fleet. If Neville Chamberlain had not bravely made the twin sacrifices of Czechoslovakia and his reputation, they insist, Germany would have overrun all of Europe and possibly the entire world. His actions should be celebrated by all right-thinking individuals. I wish I were joking.)

    If I may ask a favor of the citizens of Texas: please stop electing doofs to Congress. Thank you.

    –alopecia