Their Kind of Individual Mandate

The kind that forces women to purchase additional insurance on top of what they already have to cover unplanned pregnancy.

Michigan lawmakers are currently deciding whether to advance a bill that would require women in the state to purchase a separate insurance policy for abortion coverage, even in cases of rape or incest. If it’s approved, Michigan would join a long list of other states that have attacked abortion access by preventing women from using their own insurance to pay for it.

Isn’t this an affront to Liberty(!) and Freedom? I suppose not if it only applies to women. It’s a good thing men can’t give birth, amirite? Silly women.

To their credit, state Democrats aren’t holding anything back in their criticism of this bill.

Leading Democrats in the legislature are blasting the proposed measure. “Forcing women to decide whether they want to buy ‘rape insurance’ and even compelling parents to make the unfathomable decision about whether to buy it for their daughters is truly despicable,” State Senate Minority Leader Gretchen Whitmer (D) said in a press release on Monday.

I know Republicans live on another plane of existence than the rest of us, but I doubt even they want to be known for passing a mandate for “rape insurance.”

We’ll soon find out. According to ThinkProgress, the state legislature can pass the bill into law even without Governor Rick Snyder’s approval and, if they don’t, it will appear on the state ballot in 2014.

War on Women Fiction

“Now if the Democrats said we had a war on caterpillars then every mainstream media outlet talked about the fact that Republicans have a war on caterpillars, so then we’d have a problem with caterpillars. I mean, the fact of the matter is it’s a fiction.” -RNC Chairman Reince Priebus on the War on Women

This entry was posted in Abortion, War On Women and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • muselet

    If the bill becomes law, the Rs will simply pass another bill prohibiting any insurance company doing business in Michigan from writing insurance policies which cover abortions (or one which prohibits any physician, medical group, clinic or hospital from accepting insurance payments for abortion services).

    That way, not only will they avoid being the party of “rape insurance,” they’ll also get to punish women yet again for having ladybits.

    Again I say, no sane woman would ever vote for a candidate with an (R) after his/her name.

    –alopecia

    • Ned F

      And who in their right corporate insurance mind would underwrite this idiocy?
      Then again, you could take a page from their book and say if women had abortion insurance they would just have abortions all the time since they didn’t have to pay for it.

  • Christopher Foxx

    To their credit, state Democrats aren’t holding anything back in their criticism

    About fucking time.

  • Christopher Foxx

    I doubt even they want to be known for passing a mandate for “rape insurance.”

    Democrats should really run with this. Grab a page from the Republican playbook and make this the catchy “death-panel” “death tax” phrase that they then use to hang Republicans with. take the Fox approach:

    “Republicans now want to require you to buy rape insurance for every woman in your household. They want to shut the government down and cut spending on essential services like police. And rather than keep you safe with a well trained police force (clearly the Republicans are not in favor a law and order), they want to force you to buy rape insurance. Some people are asking if robbery and assault insurances are far behind.”

    Hey, it’s how Fox would handle it if the shoe were on the other foot.

  • D_C_Wilson

    I know Republicans live on another plane of existence than the rest of
    us, but I doubt even they want to be known for passing a mandate for
    “rape insurance.”

    And you base this on what, exactly?

      I don’t know. They still shamelessly use Abortion, Rape, etc as a cultural war bludgeon and they never face real consequences as a result. Still if we were to truly attack them with this “rape insurance” concept, to the same degree that they go after Dem candidates, it might make a difference this time…..maybe.