Boehner on WV Spill: We Have Too Much Regulation

BoehnerBawling

We’ve been over the regulatory loopholes that worsened the Freedom Industries chemical spill in West Virginia, but Speaker of the House John Boehner says we actually have too many regulations.

“We have enough regulations on the books. What the administration ought to be doing is their jobs,” Boehner said at a weekly press conference on Capitol Hill.

While Boehner said that somebody ought to be held accountable for the failure in oversight, the Speaker explained his party was focused on eliminating “cumbersome, over-the-top” regulations that were “costing the American people jobs.”

I’ll tell you what costs Americans jobs — having restaurants and businesses shut down for a week because they can’t use their water because a chemical just spilled from a storage site that was last inspected when George H.W. Bush was president.

Over the weekend state officials said the chemicals located at the Freedom Industries storage facility weren’t classified as a “hazardous substance” and thus weren’t subject to closer scrutiny.

The good news is local lawmakers don’t necessarily agree with John Boehner and there is an immense amount of pressure on them to ensure that this doesn’t happen again.

This entry was posted in Environment and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • D_C_Wilson

    “This administration needs to do its job and enforce the existing regulations. Now excuse me, I’m late for a budget meeting to gut the EPA’s inspection budget.”

  • Ned F

    Since this happened in Charleston, I would think this would gain more scrutiny and action than if it happened elsewhere in the state. Lots of WV is desperate for the jobs energy brings and would overlook any disaster as the cost of doing business, an occasional consequence to be endured.

  • Draxiar

    I had heard on NPR that the oversight in regulation came from it not falling under the EPA’s jurisdiction and the feds…wait for it…leaving it up West Virgina to oversee and regulate.

  • LTanya Spearman

    Sen. Manchin, then governor Manchin, sued the Obama admin. to over turn NEW FEDERAL RULES mountiantop removal mining (EPA). http://www.nytimes.com/gwire/2010/10/

    Mannchin on Federal Court’s EPA defeat, “A Great Day For West Virginia.”
    http://www.manchin.senate.gov/public/index.c

    As for, that lying Jack___ , the same day as the West Virginia chemical spill, House GOP quietly passes a bill gutting hazardous waste legislation.
    http://huff.to/1cHHQcj

    Today’s Headline should be: The 60-mile-long plume spill has made it way to the Ohio river and heading west…
    http://pic.twitter.com/CSQqqADLcp

  • WiscoJoe

    If Boehner was around back in the 19th century, he would have argued that abolition was a job killer.

  • Christopher Foxx

    “We don’t need more regulations. The ones we have are sufficient if only the administration would actually do their job and enforce them.”

    OK, I might agree with that. Maybe enough rules are in place. So let’s make sure the administration has what it needs to do their jobs and enforce them.

    “No, that would mean raising taxes.”

    —-

    They’ll keep repeating their various mantras, but bottom line is Republican want ZERO regulation and and even less accountability.

    • Sean Richardson

      It seems as if this article has several examples of specific laws which don’t exist which make what happened here completely legal. Which is to say, obviously there aren’t enough regulations.

  • muselet

    John Boehner: We have enough regulations and they should be enforced. Also, regulations should be eliminated for the sake of jobs.

    I would love to see an fMRI of John Boehner’s brain when he says things like that. The thing would look like a cross between the Las Vegas Strip and the Ginza District.

    –alopecia

  • Zen Diesel

    Considering that 60 mile toxic stuff will soon be coming down the Ohio rivers, one would think he would have something a little bit more intelligent to say…