Chart of the Day

NASA brings us this chart showing international consensus on the climate crisis:

nasa_climate_consensus

Ninety-seven percent of climate scientists agree that climate-warming trends over the past century are very likely due to human activities, and most of the leading scientific organizations worldwide have issued public statements endorsing this position. The following is a partial list of these organizations, along with links to their published statements and a selection of related resources.

But it’s freezing outside! HOAX!

This entry was posted in Environment and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • trgahan

    I’m sure the curve that shows the dollars spent on painting those same scientists as part of a grand commie-nazi liberal conspiracy determined to “destroy REAL America!” and force us all to live in grass huts couldn’t fit on the chart.

  • Draxiar

    When I read comments about climate change being a hoax I wonder if deniers just flat out don’t believe the climate is changing or if they don’t believe the climate is changing because of human influence. Likely the two species are cohabitating.

    At least if you’re dealing with someone who accepts that it’s changing but not because of humans there’s something to work with there. You can then move on to a conversation about energy alternatives just being cleaner and so forth. You have a chance to discuss things.

    With someone that flat out denies it at all…well, they’re determined to ride the tail of comet and nothing you say will convince them otherwise (ex “God promised he wouldn’t flood the Earth again so it can’t be real”).

    I wish we could separate the two by shirts and skins or something.

    • Christopher Foxx

      I wonder if deniers just flat out don’t believe the climate is changing or if they don’t believe the climate is changing because of human influence.

      They deny it because
      a) they need it to not be true so they can continue their business as usual
      b) Fox News told them it isn’t true.

      Either way, it isn’t the result of actually examining the problem and coming to a supportable conclusion.

      • Draxiar

        You raise a good point that I overlooked. There are folks that know it’s happening but say it’s not because it’s bad for business and they don’t give a fuck about the effect of climate change.

        • Christopher Foxx

          I wonder sometimes how many of the folks, at Fox News for example, really believe what they say and how many know they’re lying and are doing so because that’s how they play the suckers.

          Years ago I heard Rush Limbaugh say his job was to grab the biggest audience he could and hold them as long as he could however he could. He knows it’s an act and he’s a huckster. But I suspect he’s a rarity.