Dear New Jersey Star-Ledger: What Were You Expecting?

FortLeeNow that it has become clear New Jersey Governor Chris Christie was somehow involved in the unnecessary closure of the George Washington Bridge, the New Jersey Star-Ledger now believes that Christie may, in fact, be a dishonest bully.

His attempts to laugh this off now appear to be dishonest, though we can’t yet be sure that he personally knew about the correspondence of one of his top aides. Still, Christie bears responsibility either way. If it turns out he did know, he is obviously lying and unfit for office — let alone a 2016 presidential run.

And even if he did not, his officials are liars. If Christie can’t control them, how can we trust him as a potential future leader of our country?

StarLedgerWTF3The Star-Ledger editorial board is absolutely correct in this case, but they asked for this.

I’ve been over this before, but I’m going over it again because this is a pristine example of how worthless much of our news media in this country is.

The Star-Ledger endorsed Chris Christie last fall despite their own assessment that he is terrible.

The property tax burden has grown sharply on his watch. He is hostile to low-income families, raising their tax burden and sabotaging efforts to build affordable housing. He’s been a catastrophe on the environment, draining $1 billion from clean energy funds and calling a cease-fire in the state’s fight against climate change.

The governor’s claim to have fixed the state’s budget is fraudulent. New Jersey’s credit rating has dropped during his term, reflecting Wall Street’s judgment that he has dug the hole even deeper. He has no plan to finance transit projects and open space purchases now that he has nearly drained the dedicated funds he inherited from Gov. Jon Corzine.

His ego is entertaining, but it’s done damage as well. By removing two qualified justices from the Supreme Court without good cause, he threatened the independence of judges at all levels, and provoked a partisan stalemate that has left two vacant seats on the high court. This was a power grab gone wrong.

The editorial board just couldn’t get excited about Christie’s opponent so they endorsed a man who, by their own assessment, was a fraud.

I’m not implying that the election would have necessarily turned out differently had the Star-Ledger chosen not to endorse Christie, but sometimes if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it probably is a duck.

I don’t believe this scandal will doom Chris Christie’s inevitable bid for higher office, but it should. It won’t because editorial boards like the Star-Ledger exist.

This entry was posted in Chris Christie, The Media and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Zen Diesel

    I am going to get some popcorn and marvel at the spin job the Camp Christie Creme is going to put on this story. At the end of the day I am sure ObamaCare will end up being the blame.

    • fry1laurie

      Too bad it’ll only work on Faux Noise…and ABC… and NBC… and CBS… et. al

      • Christopher Foxx

        sigh Yeah.

  • muselet

    The Star-Ledger endorsed Chris Christie last fall despite their own assessment that he is terrible.

    The rationale for their endorsement is clear:

    “His ego is entertaining …”

    The editorial board figured Chris Christie would be a hoot. Policies, initiatives, even basic competence were deemed less important than the amusement value of having a thin-skinned bully in the governor’s mansion.

    Every newspaper in the country has had its own “Oh dear lord, what have we done?” moment when it comes to endorsements. Few papers, though, have had to face the consequences of their endorsement quite as quickly as has the Star-Ledger. Serves them right.

    Scandal and doom, or a bump in the one-lane traffic jam of this morally and emotionally destitute rise to power?

    Bravo, cowardly media fucks. How’s that ass smell? You know you love it. I suppose Time magazine’s unofficial manly-man of their toad-licking fever dreams will now have to deal with this by putting him on U.S. and international covers clownishly eating a self-deprecating donut while bent over crapping out a teacher/single mother with a bold, visionary caption befitting a man of his non-existent talents and shitty characteristic traits that reads: “Still The Best Man For The Job The World Has Ever Known: Hear Us Out.”

    Fuck outta here with this fucking guy. Spiteful, petty, shallow, bully? Let the re-re-reselling of fake straight-shooter-conservatives and narcissistic blowhards you’d-want-to-be-fucked-over-by-while-sleeping-off-the-beer-you-shared-the-night-before continue unabated for a media that is comfortably lazy and seemingly bored with decent people(read: Democrats)cutting the crap to make government work and progress with the times. Fire is pretty and warm.

  • aynwrong13

    Makes me wonder if any N.J. voters who chose to throw their vote to this guy are now reconsidering their decision.

    • Christopher Foxx

      And admit they were wrong? They’d have to turn in their Republican membership cars.

      • aynwrong13

        The only way he won so big was with a lot of Democratic voters. That’s why I’m wondering.