Governor Tomblin is Not a Scientist

Chemical-Spill-West-Virginia

Is it safe to drink the water in West Virginia? Governor Tomblin says it’s up to you to decide.

“It’s your decision,” Gov. Tomblin told reporters at a press conference on Monday. “If you do not feel comfortable drinking or cooking with this water then use bottled water.”

“I’m not going to say absolutely, 100 percent that everything is safe,” Tomblin continued. “But what I can say is if you do not feel comfortable, don’t use it.” [...]

At Monday’s press conference, Tomblin also emphasized the 1 ppm safety standard. “We’ve been in this thing for 11 days. It’s a very complicated issue. I’m not a scientist, you know. I have to rely on the best information that I have,” Tomblin said.

No, the governor isn’t a scientist, but I find it to be pretty pathetic that “the best information” the governor has access to is ‘I don’t know.’

Is that his fault? Not necessarily. You can spend hours searching for information on MCHM (I have) and find almost nothing because there have been almost no studies on it.

While its effects on humans are relatively known, its effects on wildlife and the environment are a mystery. There have been no studies of its effect on fish, and the only study of its effects on other wildlife is limited to its effects on rabbits.

It remains to be seen if there exists the political will to increase oversight of poisonous chemicals at the local level inside West Virginia. We already know House Republicans in D.C. won’t sign off on new regulations. House Republicans have spent the last several years attempting to defund the Environmental Protection Agency. More recently, Republicans have alleged that executive action taken to regulation greenhouse gases is unconstitutional.

Switching to renewable and clean energy sources would certainly remove the unknown threat of poisonous chemicals used in the production of coal.

(AP photo)

This entry was posted in Environment and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

    its effects on wildlife and the environment are a mystery

    Sad to say, we will have plenty of data after this clusterf*ck.

  • gescove

    I’m dreaming of the day when manufacturers must PROVE the safety of their products BEFORE being allowed to sell them. I know, crazy… right?

  • JimmyAbra

    So, now if I want to drink water, I need to be an expert in clean water?

    • Alan Fors

      No, no, no. Free market, you *hire* a clean water expert. Just like if you want to retire, you hire someone to invest your spare money. Job creation, right?

  • trgahan

    A person whose entire campaign finance isn’t tied to whoring his state to the next fly by night company that can’t be permission to operate in more populated well run state would have said “I’ve talked with the scientists brought in to monitor water supply and they say MCHM levels are X, so Y…”

    But since any scientist reporting the results of a simple water test is a Marxist who hates America, Tomblin can’t say that.

  • Draxiar

    Ethical business practice is not that fucking hard! I hate these shitball corporations.

    • Sabyen91

      In college I had a course called Business Ethics. It was a required course. I KNOW these people took the same class. They must have gotten a gentleman’s D.

        Having taught Ethics in college, I can tell you it isn’t enough. Ethics has to be a part of every business course…it has to be threaded throughout the curriculum. Having it separate means that they think about it as separate and something that can be ignored at will. And obviously Republicans make it very easy for them to ignore it.

    Who the hell does he think he’s kidding?

    And, what about the people who can’t afford to buy bottled water?

      Qu’ils boivent de soude! (or Let them drink soda!)

        Exactly. Too bad we don’t use guillotines anymore!

  • D_C_Wilson

    No, he is not a scientist, but he is a bought and paid for corporate douchebag.