House GOP: Let’s Audit Rape Victims for Tax Fraud

I can’t imagine why the Republican party has a problem with women, can you?

According to ThinkProgress, the No Taxpayer Funding For Abortion Act, which Judiciary Chairman Bob Goodlatte claims is a secret job creator, would force the IRS to audit women who claim deductions for abortion.

HR 7 eliminates medical-expense deductions for abortion care, essentially raising taxes on the women who opt to have an abortion. Like many abortion restrictions, this provision includes an exemption for victims of rape and incest, as well as women who encounter life-threatening complications from their pregnancies. But in order to enforce those exceptions, the IRS would have to verify that the women who are claiming a medical-expense deduction for an abortion fall into one of those three categories, to ensure they’re not committing tax fraud.

As you’re almost certainly aware, the vast majority of sexual assaults go unreported and, even among those that are reported, very few result in convictions or even prosecution. Verifying that someone was raped could be left up to personal interpretation.

Perhaps this is what Bob Goodlatte meant when he said this legislation will actually create jobs. We’ll have to hire additional IRS agents for the rape audits.

War on Women Fiction

“Now if the Democrats said we had a war on caterpillars then every mainstream media outlet talked about the fact that Republicans have a war on caterpillars, so then we’d have a problem with caterpillars. I mean, the fact of the matter is it’s a fiction.” -RNC Chairman Reince Priebus on the War on Women

This entry was posted in Congress, Ethics, War On Women and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • D_C_Wilson

    We’ll have to hire additional IRS agents for the rape audits.

    Not to mention all the jobs for ultrasound technicians they created last year.

    “Now if the Democrats said we had a war on caterpillars then every mainstream media outlet talked about the fact that Republicans have a war on caterpillars, so then we’d have a problem with caterpillars. I mean, the fact of the matter is it’s a fiction.”

    Anyone else bothered that Preibus is equating women with larval insects?

  • muselet

    From the link:

    We already live in a world in which navigating insurance coverage for abortion is so complicated that many women simply assume their insurer won’t pay for it, and end up financing the entire cost out-of-pocket. And we already live in a world in which victims of sexual assault are forced to prove the validity of their experiences to a skeptical society that doubts they’re telling the truth. We certainly live in a world that’s enacted nearly as many barriers to abortion access as humanly possible. Abortion restrictions that assume that some women’s reasons for terminating a pregnancy are somehow more valid than others exploits all of these dynamics. HR 7 fits neatly into this worldview — but it’s a continuation of a trend, rather than a brand-new outrage.

    Once again, I can only shake my head and quote Cerberus at Sadly, No!:

    Any woman who votes for the Republican Party for any reason is a fucking moron at this point. I’m sorry, ladies, but they couldn’t make it any more obvious that they hate you without being the director from A Serbian Film.

    And how would one prove rape or incest if the perp was not arrested and convicted in a court of law? I’m seeing some rates as high as 60% of rapes are not reported in the US every year. And that doesn’t even reflect the even lower rate of successful prosecution. But facts, schmacts. They gotta keep us bitches down because lady bits are dirty, scary, dangerous things.