McConnell: We’ll Raise the Debt Ceiling if You Approve an Oil Pipeline

McConnellFox

Congressional Republicans have more or less already given up the game by declaring that the nation will not default under any circumstances, but their rhetoric is still worth highlighting for its shear ridiculousness and because this an election year.

“I think for the president to ask for a clean debt ceiling, when we have a debt the size of our economy is irresponsible. So, we ought to discuss adding something to his request to raise the debt ceiling that does something about the debt or produces at least something positive for our country,” he said on “Fox News Sunday.”

McConnell suggested attaching approval of the controversial Keystone XL oil pipeline to a debt-limit increase and, when prompted, said changes to ObamaCare could also be an option.

What does the Keystone XL oil pipeline have to do with the debt ceiling?

Nothing.

What does Obamacare have to do with the debt ceiling?

Nothing.

I’m sorry to spoil the upcoming February shitshow, but the debt ceiling will be increased at the 11th hour on the final day after Republicans in Congress unsuccessfully attempt to extort the administration and the American people. Again.

This entry was posted in Congress, Economy and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • mea_mark

    Basically the republicans are saying; because we got elected to office we should get something, even if it isn’t good for the whole of the country, it is good for our campaign donors and we should have the right to take care of them, at the expense of everyone else.

  • Christopher Foxx

    but the debt ceiling will be increased at the 11th hour on the final day after Republicans in Congress unsuccessfully attempt to extort the administration and the American people. Again.

    And the Democrats should be pointing this out from now until then. Get the “Oh, there they go again” to be the popular common knowledge.

  • muselet

    MITCH McCONNELL: A clean debt limit increase? Irresponsible!

    INIGO MONTOYA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

    (sincere apologies to William Goldman)

    McChinless has got to pander to the teabagger morans. He’s about as popular as syphilis in Kentucky right and is going to need all the support he can get.

  • Draxiar

    Give them nothing.