McMorris Rodgers’ Obamacare Story is a Lie

During her State of the Union rebuttal Representative Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R-WA) shared the story of a local Spokane woman who’s monthly health insurance premium went up by $700, allegedly because of Obamacare.

That story didn’t quite pass the smell test, and now we know for certain that it’s a lie.

From the Los Angeles Times

Grenier told the newspaper that she wrote Rodgers after her insurance company informed her that her $552-a-month catastrophic health plan would not be offered in 2014. It offered her an alternative plan complying with the ACA at $1,052 a month.

But that sounds like her insurer trying to steer her to an overpriced option. A compliant plan meeting the Affordable Care Act’s coverage mandates actually is available from Washington’s insurance exchange for much less — and with a deductible far lower than the $10,000 she was paying under the old plan and broader coverage, though lacking a provision for four free doctor visits a year provided by her old plan.

Grenier said she had flatly refused to even investigate her options on the exchange. “I wouldn’t go on that Obama website at all,” she said. “We liked our old plan. It worked for us, but they can’t offer it anymore.”

Bette Grenier and her husband decided to go without coverage because there’s no way she’ll go on “that Obama website” even though “that Obama website” would save her hundreds of dollars.

I can’t say I have a whole lot of sympathy for someone who complains after refusing to go on “that Obama website” to save themselves.

According to the Spokane Spokesman-Review, one of Grenier’s friends obtained an insurance plan on “that Obama website” for a mere $129 per month, but she refused to use it herself.

Her former insurer is also partly to blame for attempting to steer her into a far more expensive option, but refusing to even look at your options requires a level of stubbornness, ignorance, and racism I cannot explain.

This entry was posted in Healthcare and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • GrafZeppelin127

    A diarist called databob at Daily Kos has been doing yeomanlike work investigating this and other purported “Obamacare horror stories.”

    It is truly remarkable how these tales crumble almost instantly when subjected to even the slightest scrutiny. Slightly less remarkable is how easily the paracosm dwellers accept them at face value.

    • Christopher Foxx

      Slightly less remarkable is how easily the paracosm dwellers accept them at face value.

      Completely unremarkable. Believing every negative story they hear about Obamacare is essential to them. Acknowledge even one might be wrong and the whole worldview starts to succumb to reality. And then how would they be able to continue to blame others for their self-imposed victimhood?

      • GrafZeppelin127

        Believing every negative story they hear about Obamacare is essential to
        them. Acknowledge even one might be wrong and the whole worldview
        starts to succumb to reality.

        Again, cognitive dissonance.

        What I’d really like to know is at what point, and why, simply being a “conservative” or identifying with the Republican Party became such an important aspect of people’s lives and sense of self that it overwhelmed every other part of themselves, including their capacity to reason and weigh evidence, so as to trigger this kind of cognitive dissonance.

        I’m not married, but I’d imagine most people who get married are, at the time they get married, head-over-heels in love and really believe that till-death-do-us-part stuff and everything else. But sometimes things don’t work out and they get divorced; turns out this person was not the love of your life, and you were not perfect for each other, after all.

        Why are people more willing and able to divorce their spouse than divorce their preferred political party?

        • Ipecac

          Yeah, it is pretty amazing. I’ve seen deeply religious people betray pretty much everything Christians are supposed to believe in favor of their identity as Republicans or Libertarians. It’s shocking.

          • D_C_Wilson

            That’s because being a republican is their true religion.

        • Christopher Foxx

          Why are people more willing and able to divorce their spouse than divorce their preferred political party?

          I’m not sure they are. Folks stay in bad marriages all the time. And for a host of reasons. Some are practical (finances), most are emotional.

          At an extreme, you have the abused spouse who fears, despite the beatings, that this is the only person who will love them. Or staying with a dominating, even if not physically abusive, partner means not having to be responsible for decisions. OR leaving means admitting a mistake was made. Something that might get harder to do the longer it takes.

          I expect similar dynamics apply. If they leave the party they have to acknowledge they’ve been wrong, face the scorn of friends and family, etc. Overcoming/withstanding either of those takes a lot of effort/courage.

          Fortunately, many folks are doing it.

          • GrafZeppelin127

            Of course people stay in bad marriages; I wasn’t trying to imply otherwise, and that’s not the point anyway. My point is that a marriage is an extremely important and integral part of who you are, especially if you have children. Rooting for one political party or the other to win elections doesn’t seem to be anywhere near that important in terms of a person’s self-concept. Yet we have millions upon millions of people who are willing and eager to believe wholly unbelievable things, because if they acknowledged the truth their entire world would fall apart. How can that world be defined by something so trivial as which political party you like better?

          • MrDHalen

            I think one political party is pretty clear on who’s privilege and power they would like to preserve. For many people, that is the foundation upon which everything else in their lives is built.

            It’s okay to go to the zoo if the animals are kept in their cages, but who goes when the animals are free to mingle? These people are not in unhappy marriages. Their party (spouse) is fighting for their safety and to keep the zoo animals in cages. After that is done, then they can get on with the other issues.

          • Christopher Foxx

            How can that world be defined by something so trivial as which political party you like better?

            I think that’s probably the crux of it. Far from the party association being a trivial thing, the world view and the political party they belong to are intrinsically linked. How they see the world, and how the party tells them it is, are strongly aligned.

            Either because the world view came from what the party was telling them, or the party has changed to promote the world view they see keeps them in office (the view of their core voters). Which ever way the influence went (probably both, building on itself) having the Republican label has become a core part of their self identity.

    • Christopher Foxx

      I wouldn’t be surprised if there are insurance brokers out there … pretending to be the exchanges,
      I wouldn’t be surprised if some of these insurance brokers are Republican partisans.

      There most definitely are. And not just GOP partisans, but the GOP itself:

      http://blog.sfgate.com/nov05election/2013/12/03/uproar-over-gops-fake-obamacare-website/

      NO sense of shame. None.

  • ChrisAndersen

    It’s also a violation of free market principles. Those principles say it is the buyer’s responsibility to find the best deal possible for them. But they refuse to because doing so requires touching something associated with Obama and they don’t want to get cooties.

    • Christopher Foxx

      So why isn’t the Republican party attacking these people for being so anti-capitalist?

      Oh, right.

  • Christopher Foxx

    I can’t say I have a whole lot of sympathy for someone who complains after refusing to go on “that Obama website” to save themselves.

    I was going to say I have none, but realize I do have a little bit for someone so seriously hurt by the Republican lies. She’s a victim.

    That said, she doesn’t have to remain one. What little sympathy I have for someone thrown overboard fades fast when they utterly refuse to take the lifesaver being thrown to them.

  • Ipecac

    Yeah, If Obama had been directing people to lifeboats on the Titanic, these people would have chosen to drown.

    • Ashes Defacto

      A quote that I’ve seen floating around for the last few years; “President Obama should say in a speech that people should not drink bleach.

  • lahru

    The real issue is that she went on national television and talked about a situation that was not properly vetted and did so to show that government healthcare is not good. How many people now know that she lied. she can always claim plausible deniability, and the republicans do this all the time with no pushback and proceed to push their dishonest rhetoric.

  • steve

    This woman’s attitude doesn’t surprise me at all. I have several Obama-hating friends who paid a single, perfunctory visit to healthcare.gov, said, “fuck this,” and are now telling everyone they know that Obamacare costs a zillion dollars a month and therefore they’re still uninsured, #thanksobama!