Outreach

Rep. Steve Pearce

While the Republican party meets at a private policy retreat to recommit to being sufficiently anti-abortion, Representative Steve Pearce (R-NM) is educating women on how they should react to their husbands.

“The wife is to voluntarily submit, just as the husband is to lovingly lead and sacrifice,” he writes, citing the Bible. “The husband’s part is to show up during the times of deep stress, take the leadership role and be accountable for the outcome, blaming no one else.” [...]

“The wife’s submission is not a matter of superior versus inferior; rather, it is self-imposed as a matter of obedience to the Lord and of love for her husband,” he writes.

This isn’t necessarily an isolated point of view in the Republican party.

GOP congressional candidate Richard H. Black believes spousal rape shouldn’t be a crime because “they’re living together, sleeping in the same bed, she’s in a nightie, and so forth.” He too believe wives should voluntarily submit.

If you feel the need to vomit now I would understand.

This entry was posted in Quote, WTF and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Draxiar

    Submissives and Gentlemen! Coming to you live from the 11th century let’s hear a big round of bible thumping for Representative Steve Pearce!

  • Victor_the_Crab

    Actually, I’d like to see this numbnuts explain this, verbatim, to a cross section of American women. Face to face and in a windowless room with the door closed. In one minute, they’d tear his ballsack off and ram it down his throat. And then, things would get very violent and painful for him.

    • trgahan

      I think the 12 point gap between women voters preferring Democrat over Republicans in 2008 growing to an 18 point gap in 2012 speaks for itself as to how women are receiving the current Republican platform towards them.
      Though I like your idea better….

      Oh, oh, where’s the sign up list for THAT event!?

  • muselet

    Update 5:25 p.m.: A Pearce spokesman is out with a statement accusing the Post of “falsely and inaccurately” mischaracterizing Pearce’s book.

    “This was a piece of either sloppy journalism or wilful intent to deceive,” the spokesman said. “The words clearly written show that Pearce believes the phrase ‘submission’ is widely misunderstood in society and criticizes those who distort the bible to justify male dominance.”

    The statement does not make clear what Pearce’s office believes is inaccurate.

    The spokesman also accuses the post of “refusing” to use a number of quotes that add context to the congressman’s words. One of the supposedly refused passages — “But a close study of the Bible shows that authoritarian control is not given to the husband” — is, in fact, quoted above.

    Looks like Aaron Blake’s article touched a nerve.

    –alopecia

  • Sabyen91

    Good thing for your wife you are not actually a real man, Pearce.

  • Zen Diesel

    Hear Ye Hear Ye, there will be burning and drowning of witches and heretics within a fortnight /snark

    If you feel the need to vomit now I would understand.

    Not quite…I would like to beat the ever luvin crap out of him.