Republican Priorities

Headline from The Washington Times:

wtimes_spending_bill

As Judd Leggum tweeted, up next: VHS tapes, floppy disks, pagers. Screw VHS, I want Betamax!

By the way, the bill also cuts $1 billion out of Obamacare. Because why not?

This entry was posted in Environment, Republican Party and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

    “the bill also cuts $1 billion out of Obamacare”

    They’ll do it by hook or by crook–crook being the operative word there.

  • JMAshby

    Any chance you can bring back 8-track tapes?

  • trgahan

    Glad the military is realizing it needs to get with the program and economize better. Unfortunetly, the resulting budget cuts will probabaly largely effect civilian support jobs.
    I am sure, if passed, all three are meant as much needed campaign fodder for Republicans in 2014. Cutting funding from the ACA and punishing the IRS for doing its job (but on a group that thinks itself untouchable) will be framed as major victories against the nefarious Obama and that the GOP is “winning!” but just needs more time.

    The incandescent light bulb thing is pure “if we conserve, then the environmentalist WIN! We ain’t going do what no dirty hippy tells us!” red meat.

    • http://www.aquariusmoon.info CarolDuhart

      Talk about a very useless amendment. The businesses involved have already moved on. The consumers have moved on. I bet the only incandescents around anymore are the stuff people stocked up on and whatever hasn’t burned out yet. And now we have LED’s getting cheaper and cheaper.

      There is a time where it costs more to go back than to keep going, and we
      ve reached that point with incandescents.

      • Sabyen91

        I would never buy incandescent again. I was never a big fan of replacing light bulbs every couple of months at the longest.

        • http://www.aquariusmoon.info CarolDuhart

          I agree. I have a box of florescents that were given to me a couple of years or so ago by the power company, and I’ve only used about 3-4 of them. My florescents go months and months, so long that I don’t even remember when I last changed them. I also don’t miss the heat incandescents radiated either. And my lighting bill has gone down considerably- $4 a month or so, cheaper than a light bulb.

  • D_C_Wilson

    Republicans said they won a number of small policy-related fights.

    Today’s GOP: The party that dares to think small about America’s future.

  • Draxiar

    Anyone read the comments to the linked article? Holy Hell! It’s a primordial pool of fucked-uppery.

      I’ve broken my habit of reading comments on sites like that. They always made me ill.

      Yeah, the Times site is wingnut heaven. I tend to avoid it at all costs.

    • D_C_Wilson

      The Moonie Times: Where people who think FoxNation is too concilliatory go.

    The Miserable Fucking Sociopathic Assholes Club strikes again.

  • ninjaf

    I would love to see a day when the Republican party stopped legislating based on bumper stickers and campaign slogans.

  • zirgar

    Republicans also demanded that ACORN be brought back just so they could defund it one more time.

  • Christopher Foxx

    Spending bill bans IRS targeting, preserves incandescent light bulbs

    So it stops something that wasn’t happening, and promotes something that nobody is really wanting (and harms the country).

    IOW, typical Republican legislating.

  • j hentai

    also, ironically considering the obsession with BENGHAZI!!!,they cut money from embassy security.

  • Brutlyhonest

    Yeah, it wasn’t the r’s demanding the reversal of military retirement “cuts”; shocked the washington times got that wrong. PS: dick quotes because reducing the amount of an increase isn’t really a cut. It’s would have resulted in a reduction overall (that would have affected me negatively), but it isn’t a cut

    • Sean Richardson

      To be fair, it is pretty consistent for politicians and pundits to call a reduction in an expected increase a “cut”.

      • Brutlyhonest

        Yes, they do call them cuts. That’s why I consistently correct them. A wise man once told me. “Words mean stuff.” The asshats that manipulate a significant portion of the population via their 24-hour propaganda network have understood – and used – the power of words for years.