Rubio: Fight Poverty by Repealing Obamacare

Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL) is an unintentionally hilarious man and this, like many other similar proposals, are why the GOP is utterly incapable of appealing to women, minorities, and a growing number of the working poor.

Rubio is scheduled to make a “major speech” on poverty but, rather than announce a proposal that will lift people out of poverty or further the War on Poverty, he will denounce the War on Poverty and call for the repeal of Obamacare.

“For millions of Americans living in poverty, the American Dream does not seem reachable — and that’s unacceptable,” he said Sunday. “After 50 years, isn’t it time to declare big government’s war on poverty a failure?” [...]

“This agenda would create an economy with more good-paying middle class jobs and a government with less debt,” he said Sunday. “It would repeal ObamaCare and it would replace it with more affordable health care options. It would save and strengthen our retirement programs for future generations.”

Obamacare is actually one of the first major steps taken in a generation to address both poverty and income inequality. It’s an immensely progressive piece of legislation that, while not ideal by some standards, is a major step toward turning back the tide. Millions of people will be kept out of poverty and many of those who are living in poverty will qualify for Medicaid for the first time in their lives.

If Rubio were serious about addressing poverty, he’d openly support raising the minimum wage, increasing funding levels for food stamps, extending unemployment insurance, and expanding Medicaid.

But he’s not serious. He’s going to deliver a speech containing the same tired, tried-and-failed bullshit conservative saviors have proposed for decades, and it will fall utterly flat.

If you view this initiative as a pitch to the Chamber of Commerce and astroturfers everywhere, it makes more sense. I’m sure they’ll love it.

rubiotimeNRRubioFolly

This entry was posted in Economy and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • muselet

    In his video message previewing Wednesday’s speech, Rubio said the nation needs a “real agenda” that helps people acquire the skills they need to compete for high-wage jobs.

    Don’t tell me, let me guess. Marco Rubio’s agenda consists of eliminating regulations on pretty much everything, starting a war with Iran, cutting taxes on the wealthy, repealing healthcare reform, starting a war in Syria, impeaching President Obama, hostage-taking on the debt ceiling, starting a war with North Korea, banning abortion, blaming the unemployed for not having jobs, pushing for the Keystone XL pipeline to be built, starting a war with [insert name of random country here], and chanting Benghazi! Benghazi!! Benghazi!!! at random intervals. And since he’s supposedly intelligent and suddenly concerned about poverty, he’ll also gibber for a while about Jack Kemp’s beloved Enterprise Zones and hope against hope nobody notices that Rand Paul has already tried to claim Enterprise Zones for himself.

    Someone please wake me up when Rubio stops talking.

    –alopecia

  • JWheels

    *chews air* *sips water off camera* Sorry, what was that? I was a little distracted, my mouth was really dry for some reason all of a sudden.

  • D_C_Wilson

    It would repeal ObamaCare and it would replace it with more affordable health care options.

    Still waiting to hear what the GOP’s “affordable health care options” are. Other than, “Die quickly” of course.

    • Lady Willpower

      They don’t have an alternative. Because, haven’t you heard, the U.S. has the best healthcare in the world!!! Hannity said so.

  • cogrannie

    Alpha House just writes itself.

  • Lady Willpower

    “The best way to fight poverty is to make the poors pay more for health care. Thank you, good night!”

  • Kevin B.

    Me: Fight poverty by unelecting Marco Rubio.