Senator Ron Johnson (R-Jackass)

johnson_pageheader

Senator Ron Johnson (R-WI) is joining the list of parties currently suing the Obama administration for frivolous reasons, and his goals are incredibly assholish.

Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.) is planning to sue the Obama administration over the federal contributions that lawmakers and their staffs get for health insurance. [...]

The Office of Personnel Management (OPM) said last year that the federal government would continue to help members of Congress and staffers offset the costs of those plans, as the government does for other federal employees.

In case it isn’t clear, what Senator Ron Johnson is seeking is higher out-of-pocket costs for healthcare for congressional staffers. Staffers who don’t necessarily make a lot of money.

Johnson claims that Obamacare has ‘created a wedge between a member of Congress and their constituents,’ but average constituents also receive contributions from their employers. It just so happens that, for a congressional staffer, their employer is the federal government.

The good news is Senator Johnson has enlisted the aid of former solicitor general Paul Clement in his crusade. Clement, as you may be aware if you’ve been following along, has a proven track record of failure on high-profile cases.

Clement failed to stop Obamacare on behalf of the National Federation of Independent Businesses (NFIB), he failed to defend the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA), and he failed to defend Arizona’s “Papers Please” anti-immigration law, SB1070. And yet Republicans keep hiring him.

If Clement’s string of failures isn’t a sign that he may not be up to the job, it’s certainly a sign that conservative complaints against the federal government have no merit or legal basis.

This entry was posted in Congress, Epic Fail, Healthcare and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

    “[Ron] Johnson claims that Obamacare has ‘created a wedge between a member of
    Congress and their constituents,’ but average constituents also receive
    contributions from their employers.”

    I think there’s a bit of confusion here, Ashby. You, like most sane people, consider “constituents” to be the voting public in the area (be it municipality, district, state, whatever) which a politician represents. The Johnson, however, is a Republican, which means that

    “constituent” = “moneybags donors and cronies”

    all of whom are wealthy beyond the (non-sociopathic) dreams of avarice. So the Poors are getting a bennie that Real People aren’t. This is unfair on the face of it.

    Pluswhich, to paraphrase the words of Gabby Johnson “The President is a nig… [Clock bell chimes]“

  • Sabyen91

    Ron Johnson has a 28% approval rating. I am sure this will help.

    • D_C_Wilson

      And that’s just among his staffers whom he’s trying to make pay more for health insurance.

  • D_C_Wilson

    So, if this succeeds, it will mean more money out of the pockets of the congressional staffers. These are the people who do all the research, speech writing, paperwork, and other scut work that keeps Congress functioning (such as it is).

    I’m not sure if Johnson has thought through the implications of his strategy here.

    • Sabyen91

      Actually, they don’t seem to be helping Johnson at all. He can’t open his mouth without saying something wrong, stupid, or deceptive.

      • D_C_Wilson

        And that may be intentional on their part.

        • Sabyen91

          Maybe the deceitful part but wrong and stupid? I am not so sure. He comes across as a buffoon.

          • D_C_Wilson

            Like I said, his staff isn’t doing anything to counter that image.

  • JimmyAbra

    As I always like to point out…This guy was voted over Feingold. I do have issues with Feingold on some things, but at least he understood certain things and was a decent and knowledgable Senator.

    • Sabyen91

      Idiot firebaggers had to punish people out of purity. Now they won’t even acknowledge their culpability.

      In February of this year polling showed Feingold over Johnson 52% to 42%. I am guessing it would be an even wider margin now.

  • Badgerite

    Oh geese! I miss Russ Feingold.

    • Victor_the_Crab

      Sanity misses Russ Feingold.

      • Badgerite

        Too true! All Johnson has done in office is a lot of grandstanding on bogus shit. I didn’t always agree with Feingold but I always appreciated his voice in Congress.