Sworn In

SwornIn

Artist – Chan Lowe

According to Treasury Secretary Jack Lew, we’ll reach the debt ceiling in late February rather than March as previously estimated.

Reuters reports today that the Russian government has allegedly spied on “hundreds” of western and Asian technology companies to steal intellectual property and remain competitive.

This entry was posted in Chris Christie, Open Thread, Russia and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • D_C_Wilson

    I wonder if Greenwald will report on the Russian government’s spying?

    Ha! Just kidding. Of course he won’t.

    • Scopedog

      Yah think?

  • drspittle

    If Obama didn’t spy, Russia wouldn’t have to spy, therefore it’s Obama’s fault.

  • Scopedog

    So, any comments from Sirota, Greenwald, Assange, Snowden groupies or any anti-NSA celebs?
    Anyone? Any comments at all? Hello?

    Yeah, who are we fooling. To them, it’s only bad when the US does it.

    Upon hearing this news Greenwald jams his fingers into his ears and runs around in circles yelling, “Lalalalalalala I can’t hear you!”

    As part of my forensics background, I have some knowledge about corporate spying. During the Cold War the US and Russia (and their allies) had an entire infrastructure including thousands of spies set up to spy on one another. After the Cold War ended and we tried to dismantle that spying apparatus those spies were out of work. Corporations were more than happy to recruit them for their expertise. At the same time increasing global commerce was creating an ever more interdependent global economy in which corporations had to compete against foreign companies, even in their domestic markets (remember NAFTA and other efforts to reduce barriers to international trade?). So the corporations wanted to compete against foreign corporations and the politicians felt it was in their best interest to have domestic corporations prevail over the foreign ones. So instead of actually improving the product in any way or lowering prices or creating a new product or any of the other regular methods of being competitive, they decided to take the easy route and just use counterintelligence. And that has become the norm. As a result, ever since Reagan Corporate spying has exploded.

    Now corporations have an incestuous relationship with governments and more influence than ever before. It’s not unheard of to have a spy, aka contractor work for a company one day and the government the next. Also, they obviously share info, both legally and not so legally. The effect on countries that do not have the Rule of Law and systemic methods to fight corruption is profound. Russia is the perfect example. It is controlled via Putin who is in turn highly influenced by mafia billionaires and the spies that go back and forth. In such places, corporate spying is government spying and vice versa.

    We need to avoid that kind of blurring of the lines here in the U.S. like the plague. This doesn’t mean get rid of the NSA or defang it at the state level. It means, use the Federal system to put some reasonable controls on NSA and improve privacy protections to help us fight off the hegemony of big money.