The Bubble Genius Bob & Chez Show 1/16/14

bcs_reeves_sundress

Sun Dress: The Florida Theater Shooting; Carrying a Firearm is Like a Superpower; Sirota Lectures an African-American Writer on Communities of Color; Salon Goes After the Lone Survivor Movie; Anti-War Movies; More Stories Break About Chris Christie’s Retribution; Greenwald on Obama’s NSA Reforms; Van Halen’s 1984; and much more. Brought to you by Bubble Genius, the BobCesca.com Amazon Link and the Bowen Law Group.

There’s more political talk in this week’s After Party — Friday at Noon eastern time. If you’re not a member, subscribe already. Only $6/month, cancel any time.

Download the mp3 (54 minutes, 23mb)
RSS Feed
Bob & Chez Show Archive

Bubble Genius

This entry was posted in Bob and Chez Show. Bookmark the permalink.
  • muselet

    I believe that was the episode of All In the Family in which Archie goes down to the TV station to ask for a chance to rebut the station’s editorial. A station employee hears Archie out, then picks up the phone and tells the person at the other end of the line to come to his office. “There’s something here you should see before it goes extinct.” The joke was funny, but not exactly prophetic.

    Chez, if I may quote Joss Whedon, “Comedy is the hard one.”

    A D running as the anti-Obama. *facepalm*

    David Sirota lecturing Jamelle Bouie on racial stereotyping. *headdesk* The Professional Left is at it again, trying to lose the next presidential election (because there’s no difference between the two major parties and when people see how much worse the Rs are they’ll turn to a Lefty third party to save them—which has to be the most incoherent political statement in history).

    Chris Christie really hasn’t changed since he was in college. He’s long been a thug and a bully. Words cannot express how glad I am to be a continent away from the man.

    John August once said on one of his and Craig Mazin’s Scriptnotes podcasts:

    I think IKEA gets a bad rap. I think some stuff from IKEA is absolutely fine. And, I mean, that’s the motto for IKEA: For now it’s fine. That should just be their tag line. I give it to them for free.

    People who use their phones in movie theaters are annoying. The appropriate reaction, however, to that annoyance is to ask them to stop, not to shoot them. I hope the jury (yeah, yeah, you can’t say Florida without “duh”) takes less time to convict the shooter of second-degree murder than to choose a foreperson. (Maybe I’m overreacting to the fact that he’s an ex-cop and a couple of cops in my general area just got acquitted of beating a schizophrenic man to death, but I don’t think so.)

    Bob, I’d go further than you. I think anyone wanting to own a firearm should have to articulate a logical reason for ownership, but of course that conflicts with the Supremes’ newly-created individual right to bear arms (a/k/a the “if there can be an Army of one, there can be a militia of one” theory of the history of the Second Amendment).

    Glenn Greenwald will reflexively oppose anything Barack Obama or his administration proposes. To expect otherwise is to expect the sun to rise in the south and set in the north.

      A few years ago I started watching All in the Family from the beginning, on DVD. Watching Archie and Meathead go at it in the first couple of seasons, I couldn’t help but marvel at how little the conversation has changed since 1971.

      • muselet

        If I may be forgiven a moment of geek, several years ago, I heard a radio story on Norman Lear and, naturally, All in the Family came up. Lear said that he made sure Archie and Michael were both driven by emotion rather than fact, and that both made impassioned and heartfelt—if not well-reasoned—arguments, because that’s where the comedy was. Lear also insisted he didn’t put a thumb on the scale: neither Archie or Michael ever really won one of their arguments, again because otherwise it wouldn’t have been funny.

        And you’re right, the national conversation hasn’t moved very much in the past forty years.

        –alopecia

  • Lady Willpower

    David Sirota needs to have a seat.

    • Victor_the_Crab

      At the kiddie’s table.

  • MrDHalen

    First, Christie is toast! He’s done. This story will reach him and the most he can hope for is keeping his job as Gov.

    The guy in Florida has a real chance to walk. Bob, I can’t believe you destroyed the “Stand your ground” laws with such a simple counter argument. The people who carry guns are already in a state of fear!!

    Chez is right about his dad. People who respectfully handle firearms don’t take it lightly. This is America and you don’t carry guns to the store, theater, office, etc… I own a gun that I bring when I am on camping trips in the wilderness. I would never bring it to an urban or public setting. I will call the cops before I reach for my gun at home. It’s locked up and hidden away for my protection. I could not bring myself to draw it on another human. If I did not venture out into the wilderness as I do, I would probably not even own a gun while living in the city. Guns are dangerous. I hold mine like a stick of dynamite near a flame. It is true that owning one increases the chances that you will be killed by your OWN gun. To me, any gun owner who doesn’t want strict purchasing laws is suspect. My car and drivers license are more troublesome than my gun permit. And, their is no need for any individual to own an AR-15. If you are a hunter or outdoors man, one shot will scare anything and two will kill anything. Gun clubs are fine for AR-15′s to shoot at a paper target, but nobody should own that for their personal use.

      I hold mine like a stick of dynamite near a flame.

      I like what you had to say but took issue with your statement about how you physically handle a gun. No one should own a gun unless they are comfortable handling it. And I don’t mean, comfortable in taking it everywhere with them. But familiar with it to the point that they won’t accidentally hurt themselves or others.

      Perfect story for this…way back in the Dark Ages when I was in the Academy training to become a Probation Officer we were at the range for our first shooting lesson. There was a woman there who was absolutely terrified of the shotgun we were practicing with it. The first time she fired she didn’t hold onto it tight enough and didn’t have it close enough to her body. She spooked and literally threw it away from her body up into the air. Everyone (except the instructor and shooter) was prone behind cover before it hit the ground. The second time, we were keeping a close at that point, she didn’t throw it but she did drop it like a hot potato. Needless to say, she failed the course.

      So, I am nervous every time I use my revolver because I am acutely aware of just what it can do (and it’s a frigging cannon that shoots flames out of the barrel). But I hold it firmly, without fear because if I don’t I will eventually make a mistake that could cost someone their life.

      • MrDHalen

        Hey IrishGrrrl,
        What I meant by that statement is that I handle it with extreme care. I am very comfortable when I handle firearms, as I grew up hunting, but I know that carelessness with it can be an explosive and deadly event.

          Okay, glad to be wrong on this one.

  • GrafZeppelin127

    I’m starting to think the gun issue is a big reason why I’ve been depressed for the past year. Mainly it’s been something else, a personal issue, but it started around the same time, after Sandy Hook. 20 beautiful kids and six fine women were dead for no reason, and gun enthusiasts came out of the woodwork and declared that they were the real victims. That what we (and even what I, personally) were doing to them by talking about and calling for sensible gun control was worse, was a greater offense, a greater tragedy, a more egregious and unacceptable affront to society and decency and All That Is Good™, than what that AR-15 did to those kids.

    I wrote several Daily Kos diaries about this issue, some better received than others. The discussion on this week’s show reminded me of two of them.

    “Firearms Are Not Inherently Dangerous” – The NRA’s age-old slogan that “guns don’t kill, people kill,” is technically true, but what gun fans refuse to accept is that guns are inherently dangerous devices whose mere existence creates and/or increases risk. They make dangerous people more dangerous by reducing their risk. If I want to commit a crime or kill someone, there’s less risk for me if I have a gun than if I don’t. Even some liberals disputed me on this point. If you put any random six people in a room, if there’s a gun in that room the odds of only five of them emerging from that room are exponentially greater than if there’s no gun in that room, all else being equal.

    Guns Are Property, Not Liberty – The reason why “conservatives” and “libertarians,” who are otherwise so thoroughly enamored of property rights, insist that the Second Amendment Right to Keep and Bear Arms is not a property right but a liberty interest, is that it’s not really the guns themselves, nor the ownership and possession thereof, that they value. It’s all the heroic things they imagine themselves doing with their guns, that they think they have a “right” to.

    One of my New Year’s resolutions for 2014 was to try to leave behind all the sadness, grief and despair that consumed 2013. One way to do that, I think, is to stop talking about guns, stop arguing with gun fans, stop trying to educate people about the law, and just generally stop thinking about this issue. I know that’s exactly what the NRA wants but right now my own mental health has to take precedence.

    I’m not giving up. Just taking a break.

    • http://www.livingenergy.abmp.com/ KanaW

      Best wishes, Graf. The only good thing about beating your head against the wall is how good it feels when you stop!
      Rest and relax, and recharge your batteries. :)

      • GrafZeppelin127

        Thanks. I’m not going anywhere, just avoiding this issue.

        • http://www.livingenergy.abmp.com/ KanaW

          *g* Hence the ‘head vs wall’ comment.
          Take care of yourself! Love reading your comments and articles.

    One thing that struck me during the show is was the comment about “delusions of grandeur”. I think you’re right on that…we see too many actors shooting and killing people with one clean shot but avoiding getting shot themselves. We see them running around with gun shot wounds as if they were annoyances instead of major trauma. It’s nothing like real life but I think people do internalize that as reality, like simple minded children, they think that happens and that they can shoot like that and avoid death and pain like the actors do. It’s nuts but I think too many Americans have come to believe that they have superhero abilities. FSM help us all.

  • mrbrink

    Chez’s defense of Suckerpunch may have won him some intrigue from the end of the small-my-table crowd. I was just reminded that I gifted that on Blu-ray as per request by my lovely-loving a couple Christmases ago. No doubt this has gone on Chez’s permanent record in the ‘cool’ column. When’s that belated review coming out? Haha! I think you now owe it to the world to write it up ex post facto.

    We just caught Lone Survivor a couple days ago and, sadly, there was no guy there singing Chim Chim Cher-ee and no one there to tell him to shut the fuck up. “Chim chim-in-ey chim chim cher…shut the fuck up! Only in America. Also, no one was murdered by Gran Torino America for texting.

    But the message I walked away with? “War, what is it good for?”

    It seems as though the invasion and occupation of Iraq makes it really difficult to make a movie that glorifies any theater. Iraq may have set mindless jingoistic cinema back decades. John Wayne is dead.

  • ranger11

    Big Potty!