The Fort Lee Lane Closures: Aerial View

The Washington Post ran this helpful aerial view of the scene.

ft_lee_aerial_view

Where the toll lanes merge into one lane at the dog-leg just before the toll — that’s the major slowing point for everything. As we’ve all observed at one time or another, merging isn’t what American drivers are best at.

This entry was posted in Chris Christie and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Ipecac

    So it looks like they kept all the lanes open, but shifted two of them so that Fort Lee residents couldn’t use them. How would this conceivably be a “traffic study”?

    This diagram is really helpful in understanding how this action was specifically directed at Fort Lee.

    • D_C_Wilson

      If you look at the cars and trucks, you can see that it’s the same aerial photo. It wasn’t taken during the actual closure. The Washington Post just made the lanes different colors. I think the lanes in question were actually closed, which would have made the mergers even harder.

    • Christopher Foxx

      Actually, shifting the two lanes to non-Ft Lee traffic makes more sense as a study than all the reports I’ve heard so far, which simply say two lanes were closed.

      Flat out closing two of three lanes to see what might happen is stupid. What will happen is obvious and no study should be needed to figure it out. Bet shifting two to another purpose at least has a veneer of actually trying to try something out. Sure, it will slow Ft Lee traffic, but will it more than make up for it in better flow over the bridge?

      I’m not saying it’s a good reason for a study, but it’s certainly a better one than what I’ve read so far.