This Is What Is Wrong With America

Via Dorsey Shaw from an animation in the PBS film Park Avenue: Money, Power, & The American Dream.

A recent study published by Dube on the minimum wage concludes:

Raising the minimum wage to $10.10 an hour, as many Democrats are proposing in 2014, would reduce the number of people living in poverty by 4.6 million. It would also boost the incomes of those at the 10th percentile by $1,700. That’s a significant increase in the quality of life for our worst off that doesn’t require the government to tax and spend a single additional dollar.

Or, we can continue to redistribute more wealth and political power to the top 2% and carry on the proud tradition of dismantling labor unions and drug testing poor people trying to get some food rations.

Your call, America.

This entry was posted in Economy, Election 2014, Jobs and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • JMAshby

    So what you’re saying is…

  • trgahan

    “….as many Democrats are proposing in 2014…”
    Then 2014 will be the year we have to endlessly debunk the “you’ll destroy jobs and hurt small business” talking point lie.

    I don’t know how allowing, say on average, 5 percent of a company to take home 80 percent of the payroll only to have it squirreled away never to see true circulation again qualifies as “business/economic savvy.” Conversely, suggesting lowering that amount to 75 percent of total payroll and therefore giving the consumer class more money to, you know, consume is the height of redistributionist communistic treason.

    But then again, I’m not an economist.

      If you make the goods, the consumers will somehow magically appear…so it’s supply driven. But we know they need to say it’s supply driven in order to justify their greed.

  • muselet

    There are at least 234 members of the House of Representatives and 45 members of the Senate who would crawl across rusty razor blades before they’d vote to increase the minimum wage. In fact, five bucks says most of them would reject option B (“continue to redistribute more wealth and political power to the top 2% and carry on the proud tradition of dismantling labor unions and drug testing poor people trying to get some food rations”) as insufficiently beneficial to the wealthiest Americans.

    The 2% and their selected tools in Congress and the media have already answered for America.

    • trgahan

      And they added “Now on to zeroing out that corporate tax rate (and making it illegal ever to tax a corporation again), cause it’s killing jobs!”

  • blackdogsailing

    The problem is, the people who elect the opponents of raising the minimum wage, already make $10/hr, and they don’t want the bottom raised to where they are at it.

    It’s a pity that Ronald Reagan, who began the long fall down for the 99%, is already dead, and thus can’t answer for his crimes.

    Still, I would dearly love to see some of the responsible parties hung on the steps of the United States Capitol.

    • D_C_Wilson

      There’s plenty more where he came from.

        That’s for sure.

        • DZ

          Indeed, why did the spike happen in the 1980s? Because Americans voted for it, that’s why. Sad, but that’s the easiest answer.