What Could Go Wrong?

LibertyBright

Here’s a brilliant idea. Let’s allow teachers to carry fully-automatic weapons in schools.

According to Senator Lindsey Graham’s Tea Party challenger Lee Bright, the Constitution is very clear; you should be able to carry any weapon into school buildings.

COLMES: So [teachers] shouldn’t have machine guns?
BRIGHT: I would think a teacher protecting a school grounds should be able to carry whatever she can carry legally.
COLMES: So should machine guns be legal to carry?
BRIGHT: The Second Amendment is pretty clear. It says the right to carry arms should not be infringed. [...]
COLMES: So you should be able to have any gun you want?
BRIGHT: Well, I don’t see how the government can regulate it.

And following the next escalation of the educational arms race, we’ll erect guard towers in the four corners of the school, ring the grounds with barbed wire, and perch a sniper on the roof. We’ll finally become the police state the Second Amendment Absolutists believe they’re fighting, but at least our children will be free from Liberty.

This entry was posted in Education, Guns, South Carolina and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Al Iriberri

    “…shall not be infringed”

    But what about the part that says “well-regulate…”

    “NOT BE INFRINGED!!!!!”

    *facepalm*

    • muselet

      Unfortunately, the Supremes made the “well-regulated militia” part of the Second Amendment a dead letter in District of Columbia v. Heller and McDonald v. Chicago.

      As I keep saying, it’s amazing the conclusions one can reach about firearms when one has a 24-hour security detail.

    Lee Bright’s legislative history indicates to me he’s a bit obsessed with guns.

    (Incidentally, I had a chuckle about the photo above. The logo of the South Carolina branch of the Republican Liberty Caucus prominently includes a crescent, which—if we’ve learned anything from the Right in the past dozen years—can only be interpreted as a symbol of radical Islam. The obliviousness on display is pretty remarkable.)

    The AZ State Legislature is proposing to allow guns on school campuses again. They proposed it last year but it never even made it to committee (who woulda thunk people in AZ could show some sense?!). Let’s see how far it gets this year.

  • Toolymegapoopoo

    I love when these gun nuts manage to even get their own sacred Amendment wrong. The 2A states the right to “keep and bear” arms. It says nothing about “carry”. This is obviously an important distinction since, well, a gun nut thought to amend the Constitution by doing it.

  • mrbrink

    You should also be allowed to bring jugs of moonshine to school and drink openly just like the 21st amendment says!

    Signed,

    Alcoholics of America.

      Oh, and don’t forget tobacco in your snuff box and old fashioned coca cola with real cocaine in it. Oh the fun we could have in school with drugs AND guns!