What Inequality?

Inequality in America is bad, far worse than many other nations, but when viewed on a global scale it’s truly epic.

The combined wealth of the world’s richest 85 people is now equivalent to that owned by half of the world’s population – or 3.5 billion of the poorest people – according to a new report from Oxfam. [...]

According to the report, 210 people have become billionaires in the past year, joining a select group of 1,426 individuals with a combined net worth of $5.4 trillion.

It added that the wealth of the richest one percent of people in the world now amounts to $110 trillion, or 65 times the total wealth of the bottom half of the world’s population.

I’m sure the 3.5 billion people who have less money than the richest 85 people (holy shit?) are just lazy freeloaders and victims looking for a handout. They’re the 47 percent of Earth.

PigHeaven

This entry was posted in Economy and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

    The numbers are so big, so mind boggling that it’s hard to wrap my brain around. I have tried to impress upon my daughter how privileged we are in the US but it’s a hard task when we are surrounded by so much wealth.

  • Christopher Foxx

    The combined wealth of the world’s richest 85 people is now equivalent to that owned by … 3.5 billion of the poorest people

    That’s an average of 1 rich per 41 million poor. One one side, one guy. On the other side, enough people to fill the 36 most populous cities in the US.

    It’s an inconceivable split. You can’t really “get” numbers that high. And the terrible part of it, is if those 85 people lost 99% of everything they had, they really would be hard-pressed to even notice. Yet, for the most part, they fight to hoard it as if it were the only meal they’ve seen all month.

    One side: on guy.
    Other side: every single person from
    – New York
    – Los Angeles