Who’s the Dumbest Man in Congress? I Think We Have a Winner.

Let’s be perfectly clear about this from the beginning. Congress is not “exempt” from Obamacare. The idea that members of Congress are somehow exempt from the law is possibly one of the grossest lies foisted upon the American public in the last several years. Indeed, members of Congress have no choice but to sign up for a health insurance policy through the Affordable Care Act. That’s the opposite of exempt.

And the reason why members of Congress and their staffers have to leave the Federal Employees Health Benefits Program (FEHBP) and sign up for health insurance through the ACA is because Sen. Charles Grassley (R-IA) introduced an amendment to the Senate healthcare bill in the Finance Committee and the committee unanimously adopted it with the help of senators John Ensign (R-NV), Jon Kyl (R-AZ) and Orrin Hatch (R-UT). The amendment reads as follows:

H.R. 3590: D) MEMBERS OF CONGRESS IN THE EXCHANGE.— (i) REQUIREMENT.—Notwithstanding any other provision of law, after the effective date of this subtitle, the only health plans that the Federal Government may make available to Members of Congress and congressional staff with respect to their service as a Member of Congress or congressional staff shall be health plans that are— (I) created under this Act (or an amendment made by this Act); or (II) offered through an Exchange established under this Act (or an amendment made by this Act).

So when Republican members of Congress complain about being forced to sign up for Obamacare, they only have their own caucus to blame for forcing them off a perfectly good government-run health insurance program, FEHBP, and onto, frankly, a much-less-government-run health insurance program via the exchanges. Specifically, I’m talking about Republican members of Congress like Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-TX) who’s stupidity about the law is without limits.

Gohmert is so flaming angry about being forced to sign up for a policy through the exchanges that he’s decided to go uninsured and pay the individual mandate tax penalty for violating the law.

Yes, really.

Back in September he announced that he’s refusing to buy a new insurance plan via the ACA exchanges… [CONTINUED HERE]

This entry was posted in Healthcare, The Daily Banter and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • 1933john

    He’ll wish he was insured when they
    pull that sparagus out of his rectum.

    • Christopher Foxx

      They can’t reach the asparagus. His head is in the way.

  • GrafZeppelin127

    “If Obamacare is so great, why is Congress exempt from it?” The clarion call of simple-minded imbeciles.

    • Christopher Foxx

      Not that it would get thru to the imbeciles (density being a natural trait of imbeciles), but the obvious reply to that is “Actually Congress specifically made themselves required to use it. They added an amendment just to make it mandatory for themselves. So why are they trying to deny us something that they made sure they get for themselves?”

  • Mike_Norris

    Part of that article was new information for me. The fact that Louie Gohmert is the dumbest person in congress is old news.

    • Christopher Foxx

      I read the headline and immediately thought “Gohmert, right?”

  • zirgar

    Louie Gohmert, the first person ever to have a prosthetic head.

      FTW!

    • Christopher Foxx

      Nah. Prosthetics are becoming much smarter these days. Gohmert has a wooden leg for a head.

  • TheBethFarmer

    The author needs to learn to read. Congress has the ability to sign up, should they choose to do so, but as they already have a healthcare plan that is offered and meets all the requirements necessary for an approved insurance plan, they do not HAVE to sign up for the program. Nice try, but no dice. Congressmen and woman will keep the cushy plan the taxpayers have been providing them, unless they are idiots (well, we are talking about Congress, so some of them MAY actually do it).