Are You Kidding Me?

Picard and Riker Facepalm

I cannot explain why anyone would think this was a good idea.

CONCORD, Calif. (AP) — Officials at a Northern California private school are apologizing after a controversial lunch menu option to celebrate Black History Month.

Students at Carondelet High School for Girls in Concord wanted to come up with ways to observe the occasion during a lunchtime celebration Friday. But when the school announced a menu of fried chicken, cornbread and watermelon, other students and parents became offended.

On the bright side, no one took their fried chicken and tossed it in the garbage after they had already been served.

This entry was posted in Education, Food, Racism and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Ipecac

    Jebus F’ing Christ.

  • Robert Scalzi

    I live a few towns south of where this happened and it doesn’t really surprise me at all – Carondolet (girls only) is a private Catholic school that caters to wealthy conservatives in this area, the only African Americans at that school and it’s brother school De La Salle (boys only) are athletes recruited to boost the schools athletic prowess – Disgusting, but not surprising.

  • Christopher Foxx

    Yeah, kinda obvious bad move.

    But I am left to wonder, if you’re a black person who actually likes those foods, are you not allowed to say so for fear of playing to the stereotype?

    • Ipecac

      In what circumstances would that come up? Of course if someone asked you, “Hey, what are your favorite foods?” you could certainly answer them. But how often does someone ask you that? And I’ll bet that the number of people who would specifically answer those three is pretty small.

      • Christopher Foxx

        It’s not a matter of being asked that particular question. You’re focusing too closely on a specific, and one beside the point.

        I’m more wondering if folks find themselves having a second thought before selecting a food closely associated with a stereotypical image. Does the black person at the grocery store hesitate for second before putting a watermelon in their cart, for example?

        • nathkatun7

          Does a white person “at the grocery store,” who likes watermelon, “hesitate for a second before putting a watermelon in their cart” for fear that he/she may be mistaken for being black and passing as white?

            LOL!

    • http://vermillionbrain.blogspot.com/ Vermillion

      As a black person, I like those foods and will happily say so. It’s just idiotic for other people to assume that I like them because I’m black, instead of, like Dave Chappelle said, because they are fucking delicious.

    • nathkatun7

      I personally don’t understand the purpose of your question. The issue is not about what an individual Black person likes. The issue is for the school to promote the foods as unique to African American culture.

        Exactly…I was raised in the South and am as white as human being can probably get and I LOVE all those foods. They were staples of my childhood.

  • Zen Diesel

    Nope not a bad idea at all, I can’t see why any African American would be offended.

    /snark

  • Pinkamena Diane Pie

    It’s like idiots like these forget there are other people in the world. Honestly, I sometimes think that’s what’s going on – they’re so insulated, so sheltered from anyone who isn’t like them and doesn’t guffaw loudly at every simpleminded crack they make about other groups that they simply forget people exist outside their in-group.

      nah…………..they don’t forget. They also didn’t expect to get called on their little racist joke.

  • Toolymegapoopoo

    My company serves a fish entree on Fridays during Lent. No big deal. During Passover they served a pork entree twice during the week. Also no big deal really. I just consider it an innocent mistake. You need to be a hard-nosed a-hole to do something like this school did. Thankfully racism is over now that we elected a black man as president, ain’t that right, GOP?