Bernie Herpin is a Sociopath

Picard and Riker Facepalm

Colorado state Senator Bernie Herpin (R) says it may be a good thing that Aurora theater shooter James Holmes used a 100-round magazine because it malfunctioned before he could finish annihilating the entire packed theater.

Herpin made this stupefying statement while arguing that the state’s ban on high-capacity magazines, such as the 100-round drum Holmes used, should be overtuned.

“My understanding is that James Holmes bought his 100-round capacity magazine legally,” state Sen. Irene Aguilar (D) said to Herpin during the hearing. “So in fact, this law would have stopped James Holmes from purchasing a 100-round magazine. … I just wondered if you agree with me.”

“Perhaps, James Holmes would not have been able to purchase a 100-round magazine,” Herpin said in response. “As it turned out, that was maybe a good thing that he had a 100-round magazine, because it jammed. If he had instead had four, five, six 15-round magazines, no telling how much damage he could have done until a good guy with a gun showed up.”

And if his 100-round magazine didn’t jam, how many more would have been killed? How many Good Guys With Guns would have been killed? Should the Good Guys With Guns also bring 100-round magazines with them to the Gunfight at the O.K. Corral?

At least 70 people were injured in the Aurora theater shooting. Herpin was elected after a Democrat who supported the high-capacity ban was recalled from office. Colorado conservatives replaced a sensible representative with a lunatic.

This entry was posted in Gun Fetishists, Guns, Stupid Party, Super Stupid and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Christopher Foxx

    “Lunatic” doesn’t begin to cover it.

  • 1933john

    Here’s a honey of a gift for your Valentine!
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=391038961

  • GrafZeppelin127

    Part of me really feels sad for gun fans. In a way they are the victims of a well-funded and well-coordinated marketing campaign to make them think they and their precious little Freedom Devices are the Heroes of the Next American Revolution, make them Proud to Be Gun Owners and Proud to Exercise Their Second Amendment Rights, and spin heroic tales about themselves and their ancestors and their gun-related exploits — all in the name of boosting production, sales and profits for what in reality is nothing more than a retail consumer product. They have no idea how badly they’ve been played, and used, by these manufacturers, dealers, retailers, &c.

    I feel sorry for them sometimes. As much as their extreme self-admiration depresses and disgusts me, and as dangerous as that ultimately is, it makes me sad to think so many people have so willingly yet unwittingly given so much of themselves to that industry.

      The danger and the ubiquity of such capitulation by the majority of Americans makes me much less likely to feel bad for them. And by ubiquity I mean that it isn’t just guns that has become “fetishized”….there’s too many “products” that corporations and their conservative lackeys have pushed in this way and Americans have swallowed wholesale. I think it’s to the point where feeling sad for them is a luxury we can’t afford any more. Not that I blame you…it depresses me too…so you’re not suffering alone.

  • Broca’s Area Rug

    So, am I to understand that his main plan for avoiding mass-shooting fatalities is to make ridiculously powerful/elaborate but shoddy weaponry available to psychopaths, with the assumption that it will fail consistently? Is there a “Wile E. Coyote” listed on staff at Herpin’s office, by any chance?

    • Christopher Foxx

      “We want to make sure they can’t fire off more than 15 rounds at a time, so we’re going to make sure their 100-round clip jams at round 16. Because limiting them to 15-round clips would be unconstitutional.”

      Or something.

    • D_C_Wilson

      No, but his business cards do say, “Super Genius.”

        Senator Bernie Herpin (R-ACME)
        Super Genius
        TEL: BR-549

  • Nefercat

    “Should the Good Guys With Guns also bring 100-round magazines with them to the Gunfight at the O.K. Corral?”

    Yes, of course. For these sociopaths the answer to any gun-related issue will always be “More guns! More ammo!”

      Doc Holliday shoulda been packin’ a suitcase nuke, instead of a streetsweeper.

  • D_C_Wilson

    Every time a wingnut says, “A good guy with a gun,” an NRA lobbyist gets his wings.

    BTW, in case anyone has forgotten, the Aurora shooter wasn’t stopped by a “good guy with a gun.” He finished his rampage, exited the theater, and was then arrested by his car.

  • trgahan

    I am sure Rep. Herpin departed quickly after finishing his statement to go deposit the NRA campaign check.

    Large portions of Colorado are just a continuation of the Southern Bible Belt. And like large swaths of that area, since 2008 they have firmly believed they are an oppressed people living in an occupied country. Their righteous violent revolution will start as soon as the Black Panther/UN task force comes for their guns giving the U.S. military the excuse it apparently needs to turn against the current Commander and Chief.

    More rounds mean more build up on the weapon, which leads to more jamming. Some weapons are more susceptible than others. For example, I always found the M-16 to jam far too easily after a certain number of rounds but the AK-47 hardly ever jammed even after a lot of use. Now all that being said, using this logic to say a mass murderer should have had more rounds is insane. So he’s either nuts or he’s a cold ass motherfucker and an opportunist extraordinaire who needs to have a 100 round clip jammed directly into his useless gob.