Best Persons

Rocco’s Pizzeria in Tuscon, Arizona.

Bigots in Arizona and Kansas probably haven’t thought this far ahead, but their “anti-discrimination” bills could be used to justify refusing service to anyone, not just gay people.

Similarly, religious bigots also forget that their religious freedom laws apply to all religions, not just their radical wing of Christianity.

This entry was posted in Best Persons, LGBT, Religion and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.
  • trgahan

    Any business proprietor is already allowed to refuse service to anyone for any reason.

    These new laws are just an attempt to make a specific reason for refusing service immune from negative fallout like a civil lawsuit, protest, etc. So yet again, this isn’t about “religious rights” being denied from “good Christian Americans!” but it is about bigots wanting/needing laws that make their hatreds and resentments immune from criticism by the rest of society.

    A great subversion tactic would be to put a kiosk in the Phoenix airport informing tourists that businesses in Arizona are now allowed to refuse them serves if they don’t “fit” that particular proprietor’s notion of “good and proper human being” and have downloadable phone app that logs business known to do it. I can hear the screams of “liberal tyranny!” already….

    • Churchlady320

      Bet that kiosk would last about five minutes, but it’s a righteous suggestion!

    • Toolymegapoopoo

      I know Yelp! is pretty corrupt, but I wonder if users will start posting reviews (if they haven’t already) that flag the anti-gay businesses.

        Oh, that’s a good idea! I know some gay activist folks here, I will pass that idea along.

      Customize the person’s characteristics to the app. Are you muslim? Is your skin darker than this? Are you gay….? Well then this business, and this one and this one are going to treat you like sh*t. Don’t go there. Now these other businesses will treat you like a real human being…do go there. Or as Tooly recommends below, rate businesses on Yelp based on the civil liberties criteria. Or create a site that ONLY has civil liberties reviews. It would have to heavily moderated of course because the right wing nuts would take it over and say stupid things like “such and such business did not let me read aloud from my Bible and convert my fellow diners while I ate my lunch, so my civil liberties were violated”. Funny (as in really fricking annoying) how their view of what is a “civil liberty” seems to follow their preconceived notions of what they think are self-evident and inherent privileges.

  • Churchlady320

    One of the photos of the protest against the idiotic law showed several clergy members DENYING that freedom of religion was achieved by oppression of other people’s rights. Those claiming they are being harmed by equal rights of gays or anyone else are bogus. This is the cult of victimhood being embraced once again by the very people who perpetrate the harm. They are NOT being victimized. They are being asked to be Americans, period. And yes – all professions of personal belief can be turned against them. The café sign is a joke and makes a point – but it can be very real someday if conservatives don’t stop being major jerks.

    • nathkatun7

      “The café sign is a joke and makes a point – but it can be very real someday if conservatives don’t stop being major jerks.”

      You are so right, Churchlady!

      if conservatives don’t stop being major jerks

      Unfortunately, I don’t think they can…it’s inherent in their culture.

    • Christopher Foxx

      I’m blanking on all the details of where and what (Monday morning brain farts) but wasn’t there somewhere in the south during the last holiday season where folks insisted on having a Christian display in the capitol, and other folks responded by insisting on having a Festivus pole display, etc?

      THAT is how you respond to these things. You want to exercise YOUR “religious freedom” and have a creche? Well so do we, and we believe in the Great Pasta Monster, and they are wiccans, and those over there believe it’s turtles all the way down. Your little manger scene is welcome, if you can find it among the 101 other displays.

  • Christopher Foxx

    Bigots in Arizona and Kansas probably haven’t thought this far ahead, but their “anti-discrimination” bills could be used to justify refusing service to anyone, not just gay people.

    When a shopkeeper refuses to serve a Republican or Christian they will scream and whine about the injustice and illegality of it, and still absolutely believe discriminating against gays is right and proper. Because it’s only them, the “righteous” who are always victims.

    They are, and will remain, self-centered selfish assholes with no empathy or shame.