Chart of the Day

Gun deaths will soon surpass vehicle deaths for young people according to the Center for American Progress.

Gun-Deaths-Chart

In 2010, 6,201 young people between the ages of 15 and 24 died by gunfire. Guns were a close second to the leading cause of death among this age group, car accidents, which took the lives of 7,024 young people that year. But, while car accident deaths among young people have been steadily declining over the past decade, gun deaths have remained relatively unchanged.

Unlike the gun industry, the automobile industry has gone out of its way to improve safety. In fact, safety is often a key selling point that auto dealers can advertise.

Cars that park themselves, cars that automatically break during an emergency, cars that warn you if you veer into another lane, and cars that have rear backup cameras. Not all of these features come standard, but in the near future some of them will. In the near future, some cars will even drive themselves.

The gun industry doesn’t take safety seriously and, on top of that, conservative legislatures across the country are taking steps to remove meager safety requirements such as carry permits.

The insufferable “what about cars? they kill more people than guns” argument will soon be false in addition to being mute.

This entry was posted in Gun Fetishists, Guns and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • mrbrink

    And if the gun lobby was in the business of selling cars, they’d be repealing laws against drunk driving, hit & runs, and emissions testing. Registration? Insurance? Hahaha.

    Vehicular homicide would be rewritten as “Run Them Over Where They Stand” laws. Seat belts are of course optional; road rage is mandated and handy tips with photos of illegals driving across the southern border are provided in pamphlet form to really help you express your rage; licence plates with the Confederate flag on them; turn signals would be required to blink in time to the national anthem. Acorn’s driving privileges are hereby repealed and revoked, again and again!

    We’re pretty much already witnessing the Death Race 2000 version of gun lobbying in America. Their points system is morbidly familiar.

    • JMAshby

      “Run Them Over Where They Stand” laws.

      I shouldn’t be laughing, but I can’t stop.

      America is a dark comedy.

        If we weren’t laughing, we’d be crying or locked up in an asylum. I vote for laughing and thank goodness for Mr. Brink. Nobody points out the dark, absurdity of modern American life the way he does.

      In Arizona, gun related deaths have lead vehicular deaths for a while now….I’m so proud that my state leads the nation (not!). And just to add, “road rage is mandated” with their gun in hand, of course.

  • delosgatos

    > cars that automatically break during an emergency

    Yugos?

    • Christopher Foxx

      EXACTLY what I was thinking. :)

  • villemar

    But kids’ blood has the electrolytes that the Tree of Liberty craves!