Do Nothing

BoehnerBawling

Speaker of the House John Boehner says his caucus is prepared to lead except they don’t have any plans to actually lead. Or something.

“We’ll lead,” Boehner pledged, “and our members will not shy away from advancing better solutions for the American people.”

But when pressed on whether the House would actually hold votes on major legislation in 2014, the Speaker quickly backed away, and wouldn’t commit to anything more than continued “conversations” in the coming month.

Several weeks ago I opined that the anti-choice No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion Act would be the last bill the Republican caucus would pass on its own this year and so far there have been no signs that I’m incorrect.

Both House and Senate Republican leadership have taken a dump on their latest tax reform proposal, and according to a recent poll by Roll Call only 19 out over 200 House Republicans will openly support the immigration reform principles put forth at their own policy retreat.

Given that a budget and a farm bill have already been signed into law, there’s very little the House absolutely must act on before next Fall. And, as you may have noticed, the House rarely acts unless it must.

Unless they decided to pass yet another abortion bill or rename a post office, the House will be in lame duck territory from now until 2015.

Now, why won’t President Obama lead?

This entry was posted in Congress and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Ipecac

    But when pressed on whether the House would actually hold votes on major legislation in 2014, the Speaker quickly backed away,

    And this is where we are. The Frakking Speaker of the House won’t even commit to holding votes on stuff.

    But I know what will get America going again! Let’s vote more Republicans into office, many Americans will say this fall. Asshats.

    • HilaryB

      We are so screwed.

  • muselet

    You’re not being fair, Ashby. The Rs will be leading those conversations, after all.

    Twenty years ago, Newt Gingrich triumphantly assumed the role of Speaker and brandished his famous punch card full of items from the “Contract with (on) America” that he promised the House would vote. To much fanfare, he punched a hole for each as they held votes on each item in the Contract.

    Fact forward to today, where the current Speaker can’t even say what, if anything, he hopes to hold votes on.

    Republicans don’t do governing any more.