Here’s a Great Idea: Utah Rep Wants to Increase CO2

Picard and Riker Facepalm

According to Utah state Representative Jerry Anderson (R), what the planet needs right now is more carbon dioxide, not less, and Anderson has introduced a bill aimed at boosting it.

Anderson’s bill would prevent the establishment of state standards for carbon dioxide below atmospheric concentrations of 500 parts per million. This is a level far above what is currently in the atmosphere, already padded with carbon thanks to two centuries of fossil-fuel burning.

“We are short of carbon dioxide for the needs of the plants,” Anderson, a retired science teacher, told the committee overseeing environmental programs in the the state on Tuesday. “Concentrations reached 600 parts per million at the time of the dinosaurs and they did quite well. I think we could double the carbon dioxide and not have any adverse effects.”

Legislation that sets a minimum for carbon dioxide rather than a maximum. That’s so brilliant I’m amazed the crack geniuses in the U.S. House of Representatives didn’t think of it first.

There are other astonishing gems contained in this short video from the Salt Lake Tribune.

At 0:55

ANDERSON: “I’ve been around long enough to know that we cycle between possible ice ages coming on or the ice caps are gonna melt and we’re all gonna drown. A couple few weeks ago we had some really cold weather here and I’m glad that we have some global warming so it didn’t get any colder than that.”

say-what

Jerry Anderson has been around long enough to cycle between ice ages such as the cold front that moved through the area a “couple few weeks ago.” Thankfully, global warming saved him from that week-long ice age.

Anderson clearly derived his knowledge of ecosystems and climatology through a combination of Flintstones marathons and supermarket tabloids but, on the bright side, at least he acknowledges that global warming exists.

This entry was posted in Stupid Party, Super Stupid, WTF and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • i_a_c

    Thank you for the Steve Brule gif.

  • Christopher Foxx

    I’ve been around long enough to know that we cycle between possible ice ages

    Just how old is this guy?

    Concentrations reached 600 parts per million at the time of the dinosaurs and they did quite well.

    You know, I think he has a point. After all, concentrations of H2O reach nearly a million parts per million in the oceans and the fish do quite well. So clearly we have no need to be concerned about rising oceans since, like fish, we’ll be able to breathe underwater.

    Because what works for fish, just like what worked for creatures 100,000,000 years ago, would work just as well for humans.

    • D_C_Wilson

      He better be careful. He just admitted to believing in evolution. That’s going to hurt him in the next primary.

  • Arcnor

    Well, they’ve finally done it. The Republicans have finally done it. They’ve sailed completely past “unintelligent” and headed straight into the bold, unexplored territory of “anti-intelligent.”

    We may have to revise the IQ scale to include negative numbers now.

    • Christopher Foxx

      They’ve sailed completely past “unintelligent” and headed straight into the bold, unexplored territory of “anti-intelligent.”

      This was not a recent occurrence.

  • D_C_Wilson
  • Frito

    LOL – +1 for Steve Brule