Jim Crow for Gays in Arizona

Arizona postcard

Kansas isn’t the only state moving ahead with Jim Crow-style laws for gay people.

The Arizona Senate has passed a similar bill that would allow business owners to refuse service to gay people for religious reasons.

[The] sponsor, Sen. Steve Yarbrough of Chandler, said his push for Senate Bill 1062 was prompted by a New Mexico case in which the state Supreme Court allowed a gay couple to sue a photographer who refused to take pictures of their wedding. He said he is protecting religious rights.

“This bill is not about allowing discrimination,” Yarbrough said during a debate that stretched for nearly two hours. “This bill is about preventing discrimination against people who are clearly living out their faith.”

Like their deluded counterparts in other states, Arizona Republicans are arguing that this is actually an anti-discrimination bill because it protects religious people from marauding gay hordes who wish to purchase their wares.

Can you believe the audacity of gay people who provide revenue to local businesses? It’s a slippery slope. If we let them patronize our businesses and pay for wedding photos, what will stop them from turning us gay?

I snark because I know this wave of blatantly unconstitutional Jim Crow laws for gay people is doomed to failure. I know the kind of people who would support this measure are a dying breed and that we’ll all be better off when they’re gone. The sooner the better. Please fuck off.

This entry was posted in LGBT and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Ipecac

    And it’s ALWAYS, ALWAYS a discrimination wrapped in religion.

    And we atheists are the ones Americans don’t trust.

  • Mike_Norris

    “The sooner the better. Please fuck off.”
    Welcome back Ashley. That’s the kind of blatant political commentary we missed last week. This bill is racism wrapped in religion–and I agree–Senator Yarborough can just fuck off.

  • GrafZeppelin127

    We’re the ones being discriminated against, because we can’t discriminate.

    If we can’t discriminate, then we are the targets/victims of discrimination.

    All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others.

    Is it any wonder these people can’t be taken seriously? Personally, I find this hilarious. I can’t wait to see it tested in practice.

      I would find it hilarious if I didn’t have to live in this armpit of a state. Republicans control the legislature and I wouldn’t be surprised if this passes in the House. Hopefully the ACLU is already gearing up for the lawsuit.

  • trgahan

    Doesn’t this law fly in the face of conservative’s other sacred cow “The, not really free or unbridled, unbridled free market”? I mean, by their logical (at least when they talk about fair trade, worker’s rights, or environmental regulation) business is amoral (therefore it is good and moral…somehow) and the ONLY reason for its existence is to make money for shareholders (apparently even when the company is privately held).

    They are basically codifying an economic competitive advantage to any godless business owner who will take money in exchange for goods and services of any old person willing to pay for it. THAT’S Republicans picking winners and losers!

      Yep, but our mistake is expecting consistency from these nuts.

  • nathkatun7

    Poor right wingers in Kansas and Arizona! They think that invoking “faith” to defend discrimination against gay people is a brilliant novel idea. Are they that ignorant of history Southern racists who routinely defended segregation by claiming that God, in Genesis, sanctioned segregation by “separating the three sons of Noah, sending one (the black one) to be a servant in the tabernacle.” Right wingers also used religion to justify denying women the right to vote by asserting that the woman (citing Genesis) was inferior to man, because while God created man, woman was taken from a man’s rib. The use of religion to defend oppression is absolutely nothing new. These right wing morons want to take this country back to the dark ages.

  • Badgerite

    They should keep this up. The SCOTUS has yet to find a reason to label gays and sexual orientation as a protected class which would trigger strict scrutiny when laws are passed interfering with their rights. Keep going with these kind of obvious and hateful laws and they may have no choice.