Arizona House Passes Jim Crow for Gays Bill

Arizona postcard

Arizona’s Jim Crow for Gays law passed the Arizona House last night, clearing the final hurdle before heading to Governor Jan Brewer’s desk for a signature.

From the Associated Press

The 33-27 vote by the House Thursday evening sends the legislation to Republican Gov. Jan Brewer and puts Arizona back at the forefront of a polarizing piece of legislation four years after the state enacted an immigration crackdown that caused a national furor. [...]

All but three Republicans in the House backed Senate Bill 1062 Thursday evening. All three House Republicans who broke ranks said they had problems with the proposal, though none elaborated at length.

Will Jan Brewer sign this bill into law?

If she does, the state of Arizona could find itself in front of the Supreme Court yet again for violating the constitutional rights of its citizens. We may even get to see Paul Clement again.

This entry was posted in LGBT and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

    OFFS….they just…..I just can’t……gaahhhhh…I’d leave if I didn’t have to share custody of my kids…..f*ck I hate this place

  • Christopher Foxx

    The Arizona house is currently 24 D and 36 R. So at least 3 Republicans voted against this. Bravo them.

    (Hey, we’ll take our silver linings where we can get them. It’s a very nasty, very dark cloud.)

  • Christopher Foxx

    If she does, the state of Arizona could find itself in front of the Supreme Court yet again for violating the constitutional rights of its citizens.

    Would that the SC was a criminal court.

    Really, why isn’t repeated knowing disregard for the constitution by a governor a crime?

  • Zen Diesel

    This has to be one the bull shittiest bills I have seen in a long time. Wasn’t it not too long ago, that fine KKKristian folks of the South invoked religion as the reason for discriminating against colored folks. I hope that the Governor loosens her wig and find the common sense to veto the bill.

      Sometimes Brewer “balls up” and does the right thing. She vetoed the bill that would have allowed guns on campuses, which stunned many. And she vetoed the “Birther Bill” that would have required Presidential Candidates to provide proof of citizenship. So sometimes she does the right thing but I’ve yet to figure out why. Not that I particularly care why on these issues. I do know that there was a legal kerfuffle about her not being able to run for Governor again (she wanted to but the court said she’d technically served two terms and could not), which means she has no political base to appease. The Arizona Republic has an opinion column out asking the Governor to veto it and using an economic argument. Basically, the state has said it’s doors are open to high tech businesses. But the paper rightly points out that Google was an early adopter of benefits for same sex marriage so this new bill would discourage such companies from coming here. And they’re are absolutely right. Brewer loves the business community so this would be a good excuse for her to veto it. Fingers crossed…..

      • Zen Diesel

        I am hoping that economics will steer her to veto the bill. My friends are like why do you care about a anti-gay discrimination bill in Arizona. I tell them, just like the SYG and Abortion Trap laws, if the bill becomes a law in Arizona, you can guarantee, the rest of the bible belt and the southern teabilly states will parrot the law and more than likely try to expand religious freedom beyond just discriminating against gays.

          Yep, that’s the pattern they’ve been following since ALEC started passing out pre-packaged right wing bills…it wouldn’t surprise me if the architect behind many of the most odious bills (Kris Kobach, from Kansas) is behind this one too. They’re like a cancer that is destroying this country from the inside out.

          • Zen Diesel

            I am fortunate to live in a progressive state “Md”, it blows my mind to see the right wing god warriors pushing so many horrible laws. They cannot die off soon enough for me.

  • GrafZeppelin127

    I hope she signs it, because I’m dying to see this law get tested.

    Watch some old, white, Christian, straight married couple walk into an IHOP. Watch the openly-gay manager refuse them service, telling them he thinks they’re gay. Watch them protest that they’re not gay, and show their ID proving that they’re married. Watch the manager say, “I’m sorry, but I still think you’re both gay. You look gay to me. I think your marriage is a sham, that you’ve been pretending to be straight for 30 years, and since being gay and lying are both against my religious beliefs, please leave this IHOP now.”

    Can’t wait. Pass the popcorn.

      That would be fine if no one gets hurt but conservatives here carry guns like most people carry gum. I can see some real ugliness resulting from this.

  • D_C_Wilson

    It must be nice to live in a state that has money to burn on fruitless litigation to defend a law that a five year old can see wouldn’t pass constitutional muster.

  • mdblanche

    She’ll sign it. Jan Brewer’s had it in for gays ever since they made an icon out of Judy Garland. That cursed brat dropped a house on her sister.