Keepin’ it Classy

Apparently one of the athletes chosen by Russia to light the Olympic flame is a racist.

From The Hill

Rodnina erased the tweet soon after but defiantly refused to apologize.

“Freedom of speech is freedom of speech, and you should answer for your own hang-ups,” she wrote at the time.

Rodnina is a member of Vladimir Putin’s United Russia and a three-time Olympic champion.

I guess it isn’t just conservatives in America who get “freedom of speech” entirely wrong.

And speaking of freedom of speech, how would Russia’s gay population feel about her defense? Public displays of “gay propaganda” have been banned in Russia.

This entry was posted in President Obama, Racism, Russia and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://joevillanova.blogspot.com/ Joe Villanova

    FUCKIN CUNT.

  • Christopher Foxx

    I guess it isn’t just conservatives in America who get “freedom of speech” entirely wrong.

    I’m sorry, prohibiting someone from posting a non-flattering, even racist picture of the President isn’t an abridgment of freedom of speech?

    Or is it her refusal to apologize that’s not allow? Honestly and seriously, not following you.

    • Kevin M. Hagerman

      Freedom of speech does NOT mean you can say whatever you want and no one else is allowed to object to what you say.

      • Christopher Foxx

        Where was she saying folks couldn’t criticize her?

        “… and you should answer for your own hang-ups”

        I read that as: “If you don’t like what I say, not my problem.” Its kind of an acknowledgment that others can say what they want.

        • Kevin M. Hagerman

          She doesn’t explicitly say that, true – but she invokes her freedom of speech when criticized. This is commonly done by people when they take flack for their opinions – and it comes from people of all leanings, not just her particular.

          I didn’t quite catch your drift from your original post – I guess I didn’t invoke my freedom of reading comprehension :) – but was she in fact prohibited from posting the picture? I was under the impression she took it down herself. If twitter took it down, that’s their right (as much as I would not appreciate it) but that’s STILL not impinging on her freedom of speech.

          • Christopher Foxx

            I didn’t quite catch your drift from your original post

            Hmm, truth to tell, I’m not quite getting exactly the same reaction to Ashby’s post as I did when I first posted that comment. I don’t see where she was prohibited from posting it.

            I still don’t get what he meant by her getting “freedom of speech entirely wrong”. She posted something, folks spoke out against it. Everyone speaking freely so far. Then she took it down and said, essentially, “not my problem if people object to what I say”. Which is true. Folks don’t have a right not to be offended.

            So where is the “entirely wrong” view of what free speech is in that?

    • JMAshby

      Are you serious?

      Freedom of speech does not mean no one can criticize what you say.

      • Christopher Foxx

        Yes, I am serious.

        Rodnina … defiantly refused to apologize.

        “Freedom of speech is freedom of speech, and you should answer for your own hang-ups,” she wrote at the time.

        Essentially “I can say what I like, and if you don’t like it that’s your problem.”

        Where in that does she say people aren’t allowed to criticize what she said?

        • JMAshby

          You’re being very dense.

          Invoking freedom of speech is not a defense of saying something offensive. And hello? No one in Russia has freedom of speech anyway.

          • Christopher Foxx

            Invoking freedom of speech is not a defense of saying something offensive.

            I argue it is. Freedom of speech allows folks to say offensive things. I have the right to speak freely. You do not have the right to not be offended.

            And you still haven’t pointed out where she said nobody gets to criticize her, your initial complaint. Please point out where she did that or acknowledge she didn’t.

            And, hello? Of course freedom of speech isn’t a thing in Russia. So who brought it up in the context of something a Russian said? Oh, it was you.

          • JMAshby

            Are you kidding me with this?

            She tweeted something offensive and then deleted it. Then she invoked freedom of speech just as people here in America do after they say something offensive and they suffer backlash.

            No one censored her. She deleted it herself after people were offended. Censoring her would be a violation of freedom of speech Criticizing her does not violate her freedom of speech which, as I’ve pointed out, she doesn’t have anyway.

            This is not hard to grasp.

            Good fuckin’ night

          • Christopher Foxx

            Criticizing her does not violate her freedom of speech which, as I’ve pointed out, she doesn’t have anyway.

            Are you kidding me with this? Where did I say she couldn’t be criticized? And where did anyone say she actually had a right to free speech given that she’s a Russian in Russia? You’re working very hard to complain about things folks didn’t do.

            She posted something, folks objected to it, she took it down but pointed out their not liking it was their problem. Having to hear things you don’t like is part of free speech.

            So where did she get what free speech is “entirely wrong”? Where she actually has it or not, where is her understanding of what it is “entirely wrong”?

  • muselet

    Lovely. I’m sure a similarly childish ‘shop of Vladimir Putin getting humped by a goat wouldn’t bother Irina Rodnina at all. Free speech is free speech, right?

    –alopecia

  • villemar

    Typical “But but but Obama murders ME babies for lulz” Dudebro false equivalence fucktardery over at the Guardian in the comment section.

    Last commenter nails it. But it just illustrates the lengths that the GG/Baby Jesus Snowden Cult will go to in order to pivot everything over to the Obama=Hitler narrative. Even if it involves overlooking fascist imagery and sentiment in Snowden’s Utopia, Russia.

    http://imageshack.com/a/img577/9802/8hwu.jpg

  • drspittle

    No wonder the RWNJ’s and the DudeBro’s love Russia!