Maybe the Right Wing Will Hate It…

…but everyone else will love it.

In case you missed it, here’s Coca Cola’s multilingual rendition of America the Beautiful.

Just as everyone guessed, the Right Wing wasn’t pleased by this. And the Right Wing, as you know, isn’t racist at all.

via TPM

Former tea party congressman Allen West even took time to write a blog post during the game to voice his displeasure. For West, the ad started out strong enough.

“Then the words went from English to languages I didn’t recognize,” a troubled West wrote, calling it “a truly disturbing commercial.”

Truly disturbing.

Michael Patrick Leahy over at Breitbart was offended, too.

Not only did Coke use “a deeply Christian patriotic anthem whose theme is unity – in several foreign languages,” but Leahy noted that the “ad also prominently features a gay couple.”

A gay couple. The audacity!

The ad even inspired a #BoycottCoke hashtag on Twitter and Mediaite has a round-up of the outraged reactions from some rank-and-file conservatives.

Another hashtag popped up on Twitter that was even more embarrassing than #BoycottCoke.

#SpeakAmerican is more embarrassing because, well, American is not a language. Derp. It’s also ironic because the people featured in the ad sang about America. They literally spoke American.

Unfortunately there’s no one Reince Priebus can demand an apology from this time and I doubt anyone from Breitbart or Fox News will be fired for making them look like the racists that they are.

This entry was posted in Racism and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • GrafZeppelin127

    I saw this ad and first thought, This is awesome. Second thought, this is going to send the wingnuts into a tizzy. Third thought, someone mentioning that this is going to send the wingnuts into a tizzy, is going to send the wingnuts into a tizzy.

    Yet another reminder that we could get wingnuts to boycott air just by associating it with Teh Gayz, Teh Illegalz, or Obama. Maybe that should be our new strategy over here on The Intolerant Left™; get wingnuts to boycott things. What else can we get them to boycott?

    • captkurt

      I cast my vote for Air.

      I hate to feel so giddy about this, but I can’t help myself when I think of the waves of cognitive dissonance that will result when wingnuts in the southeast US are told that they cannot drink Coke because it’s un’merican.

    • Christopher Foxx

      Third thought, someone mentioning that this is going to send the wingnuts into a tizzy, is going to send the wingnuts into a tizzy

      All part and parcel of their “How dare you point out what I’m doing as I do it” typical nonsense.

    • muselet

      Hey, Righties! All the people you love to hate refuse to get Pop-Tarts out of the toaster using a fork! Are you going to stand for that?

      –alopecia

  • Churchlady320

    I’m trying to reconcile the idiocy of conservatives who support historical societies that honor previous immigrants. Exhibits show NON English language papers, books, plays, music – and they are trumpeted as classic examples of ‘ethnic heritage’. German, Italian, Polish, Greek, Yiddish – it makes NO difference. Most first generation immigrants did not speak English well, and that is an issue of white European pride. So nuts to them all for deciding to change the rules. Racism anyone?

  • Christopher Foxx

    Not only did Coke use “a deeply Christian patriotic anthem whose theme is unity – in several foreign languages,” …

    The irony of finding something that blends many languages into one sentiment as the opposite of unity is lost on Leahy.

    … but Leahy noted that the “ad also prominently features a gay couple.”

    Prominent? They were one family quickly glimpsed among a couple dozen other scenes. It’s like saying Waldo was prominent in that picture.

    And in any event, so what? On both parts. Does Leahy flat out refuse to believe there are American citizens who don’t speak English or are gay?

      I had to watch two or three times before I spotted what could potentially be a gay couple….Methinks the right doth protest too much!

      • Christopher Foxx

        I had to watch two or three times before I spotted what could potentially be a gay couple

        Exactly. Even KNOWING there was a gay couple in there* I had to watch closely to spot it. “Was that the gay couple? Oh, maybe that one? They didn’t mean the two guys with yamulkes did they? Oh, wait, it was that shot, the one with the child, right? Maybe?”

        *Or, as you note, potentially gay. It isn’t even conclusive. But haters will see what they want to see.

    • GrafZeppelin127

      Correction:

      Does Leahy flat out refuse to believe there are American citizens who don’t speak speak languages other than English or are gay?

      Not everyone who speaks a language other than English is unable to speak English. I know you know that, but thought it was important to clarify.

      • Christopher Foxx

        Not everyone who speaks a language other than English is unable to speak English

        Of course, Graf. Certainly. But covering all the permutations would make for a horrendously long sentence and obscure the point. I wanted to write a comment, not a user’s license agreement.

  • Zen Diesel

    A company that sells it’s products worldwide doing a multilingual commercial, isn’t that what the free market strive for?

  • muselet

    So much fail! Where to begin?

    The finest line from Allen West’s rant:

    “If we cannot be proud enough as a country to sing ‘American (sic) the Beautiful’ in English in a commercial during the Super Bowl, by a company as American as they come — doggone we are on the road to perdition,” he wrote.

    Sez the New Oxford American Dictionary:

    perdition |pərˈdiSHən|
    noun
    (in Christian theology) a state of eternal punishment and damnation into which a sinful and unpenitent person passes after death.

    If I’m reading his blog post correctly, Allen West believes that an ad for fizzy sugar-water that features people singing in languages other than English is going to send us as a nation to hell. I believe theologians refer to that notion as “batshit insane.”

    Todd Starnes’ best tweet:

    Couldn’t make out that song they were singing. I only speak English.
    –toddstarnes (@toddstarnes) February 3, 2014

    Monolingual and proud of it, Todd Starnes is bent out of shape because other people can speak other languages.

    I would expect no better from Michael Patrick Leahy. I expect no better from anyone at what Charlie Pierce calls Breitbart’s Mausoleum of Unemployables.

    And #SpeakAmerican could have been more worse: the loons could have made the hashtag #TalkAmerican, which would actually have been more in keeping with their English-language skills.

    These people are an embarrassment.

    –alopecia

  • Alan Fors

    Author John Scalzi summed it up well:
    http://whatever.scalzi.com/2014/02/03/about-that-coke-ad/

    • muselet

      Scalzi has a well-earned reputation for not suffering fools gladly. Or at all.

      To no one’s surprise, he’s also right about Katharine Lee Bates and the song.

      –alopecia

  • joseph2004

    The more appropriate view of the multilingualism issue isn’t that bi- or multilingual ability is bad for America or Americans; it’s that promoting a division of the country on language is not a good way to unify the country, for one thing. For another, any immigrant who wants to get ahead in America had best learn English. Now, to you, Little Ashbaby, I’m sure this is a “RACIST” assertion, but really it’s just common sense.

    Maybe if you didn’t spend so much time converting such common sense sentiment into insults against “brown” people, you could focus instead on what really IS best for immigrants in America, not just what’s best for the Democratic Party.
    One can only hope.

    • GrafZeppelin127

      First, “common sense sentiment” is an oxymoron. Sentiment is the opposite of common sense.

      Second, no one (and I mean, NO ONE, not one single living person anywhere) is by any means, in any way, by any stretch of the imagination, “promoting a division of the country on language.” Whatever that’s supposed to mean.

      • joseph2004

        But you believe that the Republican Party and Conservatives in general are anti-bilingualism or something? THAT’s Ashbaby’s assertion, is it not? Who is that assertion targeted to if not immigrants? “Look,” says the Democrat, “Republicans don’t want you to be able to speak your native tongue at any time.”
        It’s a misrepresentation of the Conservative position on making English the official language of the United States.

        • GrafZeppelin127

          What I personally “believe” is irrelevant, and I’ll let Ashby and his position speak for themselves. The complaints being made about this ad, and the people making them, also speak for themselves.

          I’m glad you agree that there is no such thing as “common sense sentiment,” and that no real person is “promoting a division of the country on language.”

          • joseph2004

            Sure, but Ashbaby thought it would be cute to use the ad and the responses to characterize the whole Rightwing (vis-a-vis MSNBC’s tweet) in this country as racist. Plain and simple, Graf. That’s what his post is all about. And for the Rightwing in this country to be characterized as such in this context, it would have to be what I described above – oppressive toward immigrants and their native languages. But that’s simply not the case. So what’s the point of Ashby’s post without it?

          • GrafZeppelin127

            Asbhy’s post speaks for itself.

            The complaints being made about this ad, and the people making them, speak for themselves.

            Your name-calling and invoking strawmen to make your point, speak for themselves.

            Res ipsa loquitur.

        • GrafZeppelin127

          Moreover, no real, living Democrat has ever said, to anyone, at any time, anywhere, ever, “Look, Republicans don’t want you to be able to speak your native tongue at any time.”

          • joseph2004

            Then what’s the point of Ashby putting a post out there characterizing the entire Rightwing in this country as a bunch of racists?!?

          • GrafZeppelin127

            No real, living Democrat has ever said, to anyone, at any time,
            anywhere, ever, “Look, Republicans don’t want you to be able to speak
            your native tongue at any time.”

          • joseph2004

            Then what is it that Democrats and liberals have a problem with when it comes to Conservative views on language in the US of A? They obviously have a problem, but you seem to be saying they all of the sudden don’t?

          • GrafZeppelin127

            Let me repeat this one more time, just so we are clear: No real, living Democrat has ever said, to anyone, at any time, anywhere, ever, “Look, Republicans don’t want you to be able to speak your native tongue at any time.”

            If you are not able to divine the “problem” that “Democrats and liberals” have “when it comes to Conservative views on language in the US of A” from what any particular real, actual, living, breathing, flesh-and-blood, identifiable Democrats and liberals have actually, in fact said and written on the subject, and not what you imagine or have been programmed to believe some random abstract hypothetical imaginary strawpersons have said, then that is a failure of comprehension on your part.

          • joseph2004

            Ashby just acknowledged that it’s exactly what he’s saying. He’s a real living Democrat.

          • GrafZeppelin127

            Wrong. He acknowledged saying that “Conservatives don’t want immigrants to speak anything but English.” Not the same thing.

            Moreover, as far as I know, Ashby is not an elected officeholder or a candidate for office. I don’t know if he’s registered to vote as a Democrat, but then again, neither do you.

          • joseph2004

            Hmm. Now which of us is nuts?

            I’m sure he votes Republican whenever he gets a chance.

            No real, living Democrat has ever said, to anyone, at any time, anywhere, ever, “Look, Republicans don’t want you to be able to speak your native tongue at any time.
            I guess I’d concede that few if any might have said it in EXACTLY those words, but, no, one of the big gripes liberals have had over the whole language in America issue is their perception that conservatives hate the idea of anyone speaking anything but English, under any circumstances. The whole “mandating English” thing isn’t about keeping people from being bi-lingual, for crying out loud, but you’d think that what’s liberals believe.
            Maybe what you’re saying is that YOU would never say such a thing, so as such, neither would anyone else, hmm?

          • GrafZeppelin127

            The whole “mandating English” thing isn’t about keeping people from
            being bi-lingual, for crying out loud, but you’d think that what’s
            liberals believe

            No, you’d think that’s “what liberals believe.” A reasonable person would think no such thing.

          • joseph2004

            Maybe by saying “liberals” I didn’t mean everyone left-of-center.
            Hmmmmm.
            I wouldn’t want to exaggerate.

          • GrafZeppelin127

            What you meant by “liberals” is irrelevant.

          • Sabyen91

            Why are you characterizing it as all Democrats and liberals while complaining about Ashby characterizing all Conservatives? A little bit of hypocrisy?

          • beulahmo

            Because the “broad brush” criticism is the only one available having a modicum of validity to it, but it’s pretty clear that it wasn’t what initially motivated him to come into the thread and criticize. It’s pretty clear he came to defend the position of West and Starnes, but had trouble seeing it through. The “broad brush” criticism was sort of a mid-stream course adjustment. Pretty obvious and weak, imo.

          • joseph2004

            You mean I shouldn’t generalize that way? Why? Does it sound extreme or something?

          • Sabyen91

            Don’t suddenly act like that was your point. You are far too transparent for that. You are just a hypocrite.

          • joseph2004

            right

          • Victor_the_Crab

            Yes, you are.

          • JMAshby

            Because they are a bunch of racists.

            Got a point?

        • beulahmo

          “…THAT’s Ashbaby’s assertion, is it not?”
          Classy.
          No, I don’t think that’s his assertion. The problem is that the people publicly complaining automatically assume that the commercial is indicative of antipathy for America because of….an acknowledgment of the diversity of our people? Really, nothing else is implied by this commercial. But it’s illuminating to see how some Republicans interpret the meaning of this commercial and react to it. Mull it over for a bit if you need to.

          • joseph2004

            And the Right Wing, as you know, isn’t racist at all.
            Classy, right? So do tell.. what’s the point? If Ashby isn’t basically suggesting that Conservatives don’t want immigrants to speak anything but English, what’s the point?

          • JMAshby

            I am saying that. What of it?

          • joseph2004

            It’s fucked up.

          • beulahmo

            Admittedly, he could have — and perhaps should have — been more precise to avoid painting the whole right wing with a broad brush. I’ll concede that. The problem is that the right wing has quite a few high-visibility people (elected officials and commentators) who routinely make statements to intentionally provoke resentment among racial minorities. I recognize that there are plenty of people on the right who are not doing those things, and they may very well strongly disapprove of Allen West’s behavior here, but we don’t hear high-visibility Republicans and conservatives publicly calling him or other folks out on it. If they did, it would go a long way toward giving the right wing a better public image. But hey — don’t let me get in the way of right wing’s path of demographic self destruction. In fact, I’ll just say this: “Please proceed, Mr. West and Mr. Limbaugh.”

          • joseph2004

            I don’t thing “demographic” self destruction is the issue. It’s what the left has claimed the Republican issue to be, but it’s really not. This issue is more one of ideology. Take, for example, the concept of the US as a “nation of laws.” A lot of people believe in that, strongly, and as such don’t appreciate the often flippant attitude immigrants (for example, those undocumented who’ve marched through US streets in the 10’s of thousands waving Mexican flags and demanding they be accepted as citizens) show towards that concept.
            As far as language is concerned, it is the single most important unifying force a nation can have. Many people see these types of ads as countering that vision. Businesses are catering to customers; they aren’t thinking about national unity or what promotes or detracts from that unity. Language is important, and while there will be those who perhaps over-react or extrapolate the consequences of the ad too far, if you feel strongly that America is better served (immigrants and non-immigrants alike) if it makes English a central theme, you’re going to see these types of ads not for the warm and fuzzy they attempt to portray, but as one more misguided attempt at claiming how much the same we are by how different and even incomprehensible we are to each other.

          • beulahmo

            “…I don’t thing “demographic” self destruction is the issue. It’s what the left has claimed the Republican issue to be, but it’s really not.”
            No, it really is the issue, and the evidence of it is in the consistent information revealed by political polling of African Americans, Asians, Latinos, Arabs, Native Americans, Pacific Islanders, etc. Those results are the hard reality; not your belief that the problem is the Democratic Party’s unfair characterization of Republican ideology. It doesn’t matter what you believe about exactly what motivates Republicans and conservatives to behave the way they do in situations like this. What matters is that Republicans and conservatives (put on your thick skin, because I’m speaking in generalities here) consistently say and do things that cause African Americans, Asians, Latinos, Arabs, Native Americans, Pacific Islanders (again — speaking generally) to perceive hostility that’s based on racial and ethnic (and linguistic) background. You can continue to browbeat everybody who somehow fails to interpret your true motivations if you like.. Who am I to discourage you from it?? Good luck with that.

          • joseph2004

            Maybe I am deluded. Maybe I think that most Conservatives are more like me. I don’t give one damn about someone’s skin color or what languages they can speak. And yet, you can tell me, apparently, that in fact I do. After all, you know my true motivations.

            You talk about the right sending disparaging signals to African Americans. What about the left and its attitude about conservative African Americans? Is it all about love and tolerance? Or is it about how they’re misguided, hapless dupes betraying their race? I’m sure not ALL liberals feel that way, but then, I’m certain that with a big enough megaphone, I could make the case.

            I don’t dispute that the Republican Party has messed up its messaging, but after following the immigration debate since 2006(not the least the editorial arguments straight out of the NYTimes), it’s been obvious to me that the left has done a very good job of muddying the debate. People aren’t here illegally, no, they’re just “undocumented.” If you distinguish between legal and illegal entry and residence in the US, you’re anti-immigrant, anti-brown people, anti-Mexican, anti-Hispanic, hostile to immigrants. Not only that, but you are a “restrictionist” and a “nativist” and you likely suffer from sub-conscious issues about brown people. :O| All are part and parcel of the left-wing lexicon, and it’s used to smear.
            Just listen to Ashby. These are the tools he uses. I’m sure it’s for the good of everybody.

          • muselet

            The First Law of Holes, joseph. Read and learn.

            –alopecia

          • beulahmo

            I don’t presume to read your mind. That’s pretty weak, Joseph. I went out of my way to concede your point that I can’t know the motivation of all people on the right. Moreover, I took care to add the qualifiers that I was speaking in generalities, so don’t give me that crap, okay?
            Look, your feeling of being misunderstood is beside the point. I’m trying to say that the proof is in the pudding (meaning demographic trends reflected in political polling). The Republican Party has a reputation problem that hasn’t been resolved. If you want to believe it’s the fault of other people instead of your own, go right ahead. I really don’t care.

          • nathkatun7

            interestingly, I’ve not seen radical right wingers (not true and genuine Conservatives) go after Illegal white people from Europe and Canada. Besides, radical right wingers, like Pat Buchanan, have explicitly used race/color as basis for their hostility against black and brown immigrants. You know that’s the truth, but you are hear pretending otherwise.

          • GrafZeppelin127

            Conservatives don’t want immigrants to speak anything but English[.]

            Even if we stipulate that that’s what Ashby is saying, I think it’s not an unreasonable conclusion to draw based on the specific, actual comments and complaints made by real, actual, identifiable conservatives about the ad that were cited in the post. These are not strawmen making imaginary statements for Ashby to turn around and attack. These are real people, and these are real things they actually said, out loud, in public, with actual people listening.

            Why would a soft-drink ad featuring a song sung partly in other languages over images of people who might speak those languages at home, be “disturbing”? Why would anyone be offended by it?

            Why would anyone think such a thing would be so offensive, disturbing, dangerous and threatening as to be worthy of a boycott of the advertised product?

          • joseph2004

            Beats me. But if I had to guess, it’s because businesses in the US aren’t about national unity; they’re about profits. If promoting their products in, say, Spanish improves their bottom line, it’s not the same thing as promoting the idea that English is the preferred language and the best language for people to know in America.
            If you’re saying the reaction is over the top, I’d agree to a certain extent. But then, the Right wing has no monopoly on over reaction.
            But the reaction here is from the perception that even English as a unifying force is being undermined. And in a way, it is. Promoting English as the official language in the US is not a dig against foreigners, or “brown” people or “people who are different”; it’s a push for maintaining a common thread between everybody. No, I don’t believe that Democrats are on the front lines of language unification. It’s in their best interests to characterize the Right as hostile to immigrants in any way they can, and that’s what Ashby is doing here. He’s taking a few comments from the peanut gallery and using it to promote the idea that Republicans are hostile to immigrants. It’s a scam, and I’m calling him on it.

          • beulahmo

            “The peanut gallery”? Well not really. But I’ll give you credit for acknowledging that the comments made by West, Starnes, and Leahy were worthy of criticism (though you didn’t initially and forthrightly let us know you were critical of them, for some odd reason…just saying it seems like you would have prefaced your criticism of Ashby before eventually getting around to clarifying this…it’s an odd approach for a person who wants to make a “don’t use that broad brush” criticism…just sayin’ it seems really, really odd is all…).

            Say, can you point us to some right wing blog threads where we can read your criticisms of people on the right (some of them prominent) who are saying the kind of fringe-y, peanut-gallery-non-mainstream-conservative stuff that West, Starnes, and Leahy were saying? Just curious.

          • GrafZeppelin127

            This:

            [B]ecause businesses in the US aren’t about national unity; they’re about profits.

            …is not a reasonable answer to these questions:

            Why would a soft-drink ad featuring a song sung partly in other languages over images of people who might speak those languages at home, be “disturbing”? Why would anyone be offended by it? Why would anyone think such a thing would be so offensive, disturbing, dangerous and threatening as to be worthy of a boycott of the advertised product?

            Neither is “promoting the idea that English is the preferred language and the best language for people to know in America” congruent or analogous to complaining that a television ad featuring multi-lilngual singing is “disturbing,” “offensive,” threatening or dangerous, and promising to boycott the product in question.

            Or, to put it another way, complaining that a television ad featuring multi-lingual singing is “disturbing,” “offensive,” threatening or dangerous, and promising to boycott the product in question, is not a means (let alone a reasonable means) of “promoting English as the official language of the U.S.” That is simply not what they are doing.

            English as a unifying force is being undermined. And in a way, it is.

            NO.
            IT.
            IS.
            NOT.

            Not in any way, shape, form, by any means, by any stretch of the imagination. Even assuming that statement, “…is being undermined”, has any meaning at all, is anything other than vacuous, passive-voiced rhetorical nonsense, nothing of the kind is happening.

            This appears to be a recurring motif in your contributions to this thread, viz., saying that things are happening that are not actually happening; that people are saying things they are not actually saying and doing things they are not actually doing, assigning intentions to people that they do not actually have and that are not reasonably derived from anything they have actually said. You’re arguing both against, and on behalf of, strawmen. It’s remarkable, really.

          • joseph2004

            You know, there are a lot of kooks in the world. I’m not sure why anyone is surprised that someone somewhere would find something to complain about. Happens all the time. But to use that to characterize anyone right of center as being racist?
            Where’s the enlightenment in that, man?

          • GrafZeppelin127

            Why would you assume that the phrase/term “Right Wing” (be it one word or two, or hyphenated, capitalized or not) is equivalent to, or could reasonably be defined as or understood to mean, “anyone right of center”?

            Is it reasonable to assume that the phrase/term “Right Wing” and the phrase “anyone right of center” refer to the precise, exact same category of individuals? That anyone and everyone in the former category must also be in the latter category, and vice-versa? Is “anyone right of center” also, by definition and without exception, “Right Wing,” and vice-versa?

            You gather my drift.

            Again, you’re reading and hearing things that no one is saying. You’re hearing a characterization being applied to a broad category of people, when in fact it was clearly, explicitly and deliberately applied to a far narrower category. Ashby used the phrase “Right Wing,” which you’ve taken to mean, “anyone right of center.” That is not reasonable.

          • beulahmo

            I’ve already raised this point with him by allowing that Ashby could have used more precise language to avoid painting with too broad a brush. But when I pointed out that there don’t seem to be a lot of public rebukes of comments like those made by West, Starnes, etc. coming from prominent people on the right, he didn’t address that. I’m just pointing out that it reflects poorly on the larger group that this kind of behavior is apparently tolerated (or worse — tacitly approved of.)

          • GrafZeppelin127

            Complaining that a behavior is being attributed to too broad a category of people is naught but a dodge to deflect attention away from those who are guilty of the behavior, and from the behavior itself. Not to mention a way of making oneself feel heroically victimized by broadening the category in order to include oneself.

          • beulahmo

            Still — I’m sympathetic to his point, because it’s long been a tactic of folks like Rush Limbaugh to point to radical or even outrageous behavior of people on the fringe of the Left in order to characterize the entire group as wild and radical. That’s how they’ve ended up marginalizing themselves — they’ve become accustomed to doing battle with mythological Lefties, and they think they make perfect sense as they rail against the “radical communist socialist racist Obama Left” — leaving non-ideological moderates to just stare and blink and wonder who the hell they’re ranting and raving about because they’ve never encountered these nefarious and dangerous Lefties they’re so preoccupied with.

          • GrafZeppelin127

            I’d be more “sympathetic” to his “point” if it made any sense, and wasn’t loaded with vacuous, delusional rhetorical nonsense. It’s based entirely on reading the minds of imaginary strawmen, on both “sides.”

            His only “point” is that Ashby may be attributing a particular behavior or sentiment to people who may not necessarily be guilty of that behavior and do not necessarily harbor that sentiment, by referring to a category of people and extrapolating the behavior of several exemplars onto that category as circumstantial evidence.

            The difference between that and the Limbaughs of the world is that the latter start with the caricature, start with the behavior and the sentiment held by a broad category of imaginary strawmen and then project it onto real, living, breathing, identifiable people. They reverse-engineer reality to fit that caricature; anything and everything an individual within the category says or does “proves” that the category is what they believe it is, even when no reasonable person would extrapolate [X] from [Y].

          • beulahmo

            Wow, you did a good job of clarifying that — thanks! Yes, the caricature as the starting point is the fatal error. I hope to always take care to avoid it! :)

          • joseph2004

            Well, what did he mean?

          • GrafZeppelin127

            You know perfectly well what he meant, you’re just pretending not to so you can feel heroically victimized.

            Complaining that a behavior is being attributed to too broad a category of people is naught but a dodge to deflect attention away from those who are guilty of the behavior, and from the behavior itself.

            If you’re not guilty of the behavior, say so. Whining about being wrongly accused, and broadening the category so as to include yourself, demonstrates nothing if not the opposite.

          • nathkatun7

            “You know, there are a lot of kooks in the world. I’m not sure why anyone is surprised that someone somewhere would find something to complain about.”

            This is a cope-out and you know it!

          • nathkatun7

            “English as the official language in the US is not a dig against foreigners, or “brown” people or “people who are different”; it’s a push for maintaining a common thread between everybody.”

            I don’t buy this. If you want to unify people you strive to respect their unique cultures and not to stamp them out. It’s self evident that English is the official language, but that should not be used to oppose/denigrate bi-ligualism. I think in this diverse world which is becoming smaller and smaller, it’s a good idea for people to be bi-lingual or multi-lingual.

          • nathkatun7

            It’s absolutely true that radical right wingers (many of them not true Conservatives in the classical sense) “don’t want immigrants to speak anything but English.” Otherwise, how do you explain the “hair on fire” over an ad that features Americans singing “America the Beautiful” in multiple languages? Instead of addressing the idiotic right wing attacks on the multilingual Coke ad, you deceitfully resort to attacking Mr. Ashby, the liberals and the Democrats.

        • swift_4

          The Republican Party and conservatives have supported many English only bills. And the reaction to this commercial shows how easily foreign languages set them off.

    • beulahmo

      If I were to accept your position that “…promoting a division of the country on language is not a good way to unify the country…”, it wouldn’t explain why it applies to the Coke commercial or the umbrage taken by certain people. Can you explain how this is germane to this discussion?

    • JMAshby

      It is a racist assertion. You can’t just hand-wave the motives of the people speaking out against it. Try to tell me saying “coke is the language of illegals” just because people of a different race were featured in the ads isn’t racist. There was no context in the ad. “Illegal” was automatically associated with someone of a different race speaking a different language.

      By the way, mandating English as part of immigration reform is part of the Republican party’s “principles” which they just adopted last week. You’re god damn right they’re “anti-bilingual.”

      Your level of butthurt and concern is so transparent. The only time you show up around here is to protest too much. Who’s the real baby here? Did I hurt your feelings? Good, fuck you and your horse.

      • joseph2004

        I have no problem with the idea that there are people on the right who don’t get it, but that’s not what you’re saying, is it. You’re saying that based upon these few ignorant fools that “Hey, I know! Howzabout I just accuse the entire Right wing in this country of being a bunch of racists! Cool huh?!?”
        No, not cool. Stupid, willfully so, ignorant, narrow, teenybopper…. you name it. Why commit the same stupid mistake, in all its faux glory, that MSNBC did with that tweet about the Right hating the concept of multi-racial families, of which there are many multi-racial conservative families?

        • JMAshby

          Yes, that’s exactly what I’m saying. The Right is racist to the core. Full-stop. Got it?

          If you’re waiting for me to alter my language or recant because I hurt your feelings, you’re going to be waiting a long time.

          The good news is no one is forcing you to read anything I have to say.

          • joseph2004

            Oh I can take it, Ashby, but I think you’re delusional. I think you’re an idiot. And I think you are part of the problem to people working together in this country. You and your ilk are not the solution, by a long shot.

            haaha………..pretty hilarious coming from a right wingnut, joseph. After all, you and your party are all about “working together”, and yet………due to your inability to work with others, we have the most do-nothing congress in history. That means EVER, joseph.

            FYI, they sell pacifers at the drugstore.

          • joseph2004

            Nicole, you sound like I very angry person, not a rational one. It’s just amazing listening to you guys talking about extremist right-wing mentality. Nobody with your hatred toward conservatives would ever be a collaborator, so stop complaining about Republicans not collaborating. It’s not what you want in any case.

          • Victor_the_Crab

            Go fuck yourself, joeyasshole!

            Your side is the one that never wanted to work with this president. Your side is the one that deliberately made it a stragedy to vehemently oppose everything little thing his administration put forth – going so far as to oppose legislation originally created by Republicans, like the ACA. Your side is the one that wanted to play chicken with the U.S. economy by shutting down the government and refusing to raise the debt ceiling all to get what you wanted.

            And all this AFTER your side spent most of the previous decade blowing up the deficit to pay for tax cuts to the very greedy over the needy and overseeing an expensive war built on lies and telling everyone who opposed to go fuck themselves and leave the country.

            And you’ve got the unmitigated gall to come here and lecture us about dividing the country with hateful rhetoric and project your failings and shortcomings onto us.

            You’ve got to be a first class sociopath to believe all this shit. Or. you’re just an out and out bigot. Either way, you’re what’s wrong with America today. Go help the country out by killing yourself, mr.asshole.

          • joseph2004

            Yep, I do have the gall. little crabster.
            You’ll recall that Obama’s first meeting with leaders in congress, he told the Republicans “We won.” You lost, therefore… and then he and the democrats proceeded for two whole years passing this bill and that with absolutely no GOP input at all… not because the GOP didn’t have ideas to contribute, but because O and his Democrats realized they didn’t need GOP votes to pass an agenda they’d been itching to put into place for decades.
            Don’t pretend that the Democrats were all about collaboration. They weren’t. You don’t pass bill and bill with no Republican votes by being claiming to be all about getting along.

          • GrafZeppelin127

            Still arguing against, and on behalf of, strawmen. This might make a good idea for a screenplay, but does not even remotely resemble anything that actually happened in the real world.

            If you truly believe that congressional Republicans have acted reasonably, altruistically and in good faith since 20 January 2009, I really don’t know what to tell you. When members of one party vow to oppose and vote against absolutely anything and everything that comes along, no matter what it is, no matter what the merits are, and never vote for anything under any circumstances, the other party has little choice but to accomplish what it can on its own.

            Of course you don’t see it that way. I’m sure the GOP and its corporate owners appreciate your giving them the benefit of the doubt. Just understand that you are the reason they did it. Not because they thought you’d benefit from it, but just so you and people like you could come to places like this and say things like that. They knew you’d fall for it, hook, line and sinker, and you did.

            I’m sorry, but they’ve played you like a fiddle and used you like a rented mule. You just don’t know it.

          • joseph2004

            But you’re surely not going to see it any other way than that Republicans are evil obstructionists to the core.
            But, what about the Harry Reid fellow? The House has been sending the Senate bill after bill (and not all to repeal OCare), a lot of it on basic jobs issues, amendments, etc, but good old Harry the collaborator seems to find a way to do nothing.
            Is it really so one-sided? I don’t think so.

          • GrafZeppelin127

            I didn’t say “evil,” did I? Frankly, I’m a little worried about this strawman fetish. You keep hearing and reading things no one is saying.

            Moreover, what Harry Reid did or did not do is not proof, direct or circumstantial evidence, of what Republicans in Congress, or any particular Republican, did or did not do. Changing the subject to [X] does not disprove or undermine [Y].

          • joseph2004

            Graf, what’s the problem? Talk to me.

          • Victor_the_Crab

            Answer: You!

          • Victor_the_Crab

            Oh fuck you, asshole! Where the fuck did you get that from, the voice inside your head? Substitute Obama with Bush and you have a more accurate description of your “we won, you lost” bullshit.

            Obama DID reach out to the other side to help get the country back on track after the collapse of the economy. And all the Republicans did was obstruct and filibuster every chance they got. Period, end of story. I know it’s hard for you to believe living inside your right wing bubble, but the truth is hard to swallow for trolls like you.

          • joseph2004

            It takes two (at least) to stonewall.

          • Victor_the_Crab

            No, just one. And it wasn’t Democrats, trollface.

          • joseph2004

            How about a beer summit?

          • Victor_the_Crab

            How ’bout you just drink an arsenic/cyanide cocktail, trollface.

          • joseph2004

            See ya Crabster.

          • Victor_the_Crab

            Wouldn’t wanna be ya, joeytrollface.

          • nathkatun7

            You are a typical right wing full of deceit! So the meeting held by prominent Republicans, on inauguration day, in 2009 to oppose everything President Obama proposed, including those things that Republicans had historically been in favor of, didn’t take place? Take the issue of raising the debt ceiling. Republicans never uniformly refused to raise the debt-ceiling until President Obama took office. You come to pretend to be reasonable and the turn around and lie by blaming President Obama, who did everything humanely possible to reach out to Republicans, short of surrendering all that he believed in. Yes President Obama won on his ideas and therefore he was not obligated to enact the right wing agenda. I also think that if he embraced Republican ideas, Rush Limbaugh and the Heritage Foundation would still urge Republicans to say no because their goal, as both McConnell and Limbaugh publicly stated was to make him fail. So please don’t come here spewing all the lies about Republican cooperation.

          • JMAshby

            I’ll take that as a compliment coming from you. Thanks.

          • joseph2004

            I wouldn’t.

          • Victor_the_Crab

            That’s because you’re rotten to the core.

          • joseph2004

            Yes, aren’t I though?

          • Victor_the_Crab

            Good boy. Admitting that you have a problem is the first step on your road to recovery from being a huge asshole.

          • Sabyen91

            If you support the Republican platform you are a racist. It is the truth. Republican policy is racist, homophobic and misogynistic. You can play the No True Scotsman card all you want but it is enshrined in the Republican Party.

          MSNBC didn’t make a “mistake”. They told the truth and the only mistake that they actually made was to cater to the right fucking insane wing when they apologized and fired the person responsible.

          As far as I know, the entire damn right wing is racist. And, they’ve spent 5 years proving it.

          • joseph2004

            They made a mistake, and it cost them. Otherwise they’d have left the tweet up.

        • mrbrink

          You would have us under the legislative thumb of people who say and laugh at terrible things like “coke is the language of illegals.”

          I know because you’re here defending the general sentiment while not exactly condemning it, and challenging the idea that YOU, let alone movement conservatives, could ever be harboring resentment toward different cultures and religions. Conservatives aren’t racist, they’re just superior.

          Your judgement is for shit and you’re inconsistent. And you should take a bath. Soaps are that way>>>>>

          • Pinkamena Diane Pie

            Soaps are that way>>>>>

            I laughed at that far more than I ought to just because I know what’s int he sidebar.

          • beulahmo

            Oh yeah! It’s the librul soaps from Bubble Genius! :-D

      • bbiemeret

        The simple fact is the the GOP as devolved into an ignorant, racist organization, one which refuses to wear it’s racism on it’s sleeves. As far as I’m concerned, anyone who continues to associate with the GOP is racist as well. Lie with dogs, you get fleas. Don’t want to be called a racist, don’t associate with racists.

    • Sabyen91

      “it’s that promoting a division of the country on language is not a good way to unify the country”

      Way to totally miss the point. Or should I say misconstrue the point?

    • Pinkamena Diane Pie

      I’ve had my fill of this little knuckledragger. Get rid of him.

    • beulahmo

      Joseph. Watch this video (it’s a 5-minute “behind the scenes” video done by the makers of that Coke commercial) and hold in your mind the automatic assumptions made — and the subsequent knee-jerk hostility expressed — by the people you were trying to defend in this thread. Imagine how those people’s hostile reactions would be perceived by the people speaking in this video.
      http://youtu.be/1ReHUMUb9gY

  • Ashes Defacto

    It’s a vision of American culture that conservatives have spent decades pretending doesn’t exist. So this (over)reaction was very predictable. Also predictable was the bigoted reaction to the Cheerios ad, the very thing that MSNBC was pressured into apologizing about.

    The right wing consists of a bunch of authoritarian big fucking babies. Someone please give them a thumb to suck on—I am so tired of their constant histrionics.

  • LeShan Jones

    Allow me to post verbatem what I wrote about this on Addictinginfo.org;

    I will lay this out there.
    Anyone who felt offended by this commercial because they think the song should have been sung only in English is not an American; they are not a patriot nor are they good people.
    Other nationalities have contributed to the greatness that is our country, not ONLY Anglo-Saxon English people, the far right likes to ignore this fact and pretend that only white people have made any significant contributions to America.
    For that reason and many others, I can say that they are as un-American as they like to accuse others of being…but in truth I always knew that as the right practices projection of their own bad habits like nobody’s business.

  • joseph2004

    75 posts (and counting), all in an attempt to put down the troll. Ha!

    • beulahmo

      That proves you’re winning. Keep going!

      • joseph2004

        Good grief, I’ll never “win” here. Besides, it’s not really the goal to “win.” I’d have to compromise my principles to ingratiate myself with these folks.

        • Victor_the_Crab

          Your IQ would have to be in the triple digits and you’d need Jiminy Cricket as your conscience in order to compromise those “principles” of yours, joey trollface.

          • joseph2004

            No, I’d just have to be a Democrat.

          • Victor_the_Crab

            Oooo, that hurts, not. Besides, the likes of Steve King, Bachmann, Gohmert, Stockman, Palin, etc. would tell you otherwise, trollface.

  • chris ellis

    Wonder if you’ve ever had this many comments?

    • Victor_the_Crab

      Ash can thank the resident right wing troll joseph for that. For some reason, joey butthurt feels extra douchey today.

    • joseph2004

      It’s not hard to shake things up. Ashby is like a queen bee being defended by the hive.

      Uh, yes. Prior to the move to the banter.

  • joseph2004

    Thanks everyone! I’ve had my fix.
    PS. I love you, Nicole ;)

    • Victor_the_Crab

      Yup, you know when you got your ass beaten up and went crawling back to your hole. Anytime you want to come here to be ignorant, we’ll be here to slap you around.

      In the meantime, apply generously to your affected area:

      yeah, right………….

      • Guest

        deleted.