Outreach: “some refer to them as mothers”

Responding to a critical Valentine’s Day card he received from pro-choice advocates, Virginia state Senator Steve Martin (R) referred to expecting mothers as simply “hosts.”

A pregnant woman is just a “host” that should not have the right to end her pregnancy, Virginia State Sen. Steve Martin (R) wrote in a Facebook rant defending his anti-abortion views. [...]

“I don’t expect to be in the room or will I do anything to prevent you from obtaining a contraceptive,” Martin wrote. “However, once a child does exist in your womb, I’m not going to assume a right to kill it just because the child’s host (some refer to them as mothers) doesn’t want it.”

Got that, ladies? You’re just “hosts” for the specimen growing inside you.

That makes it sounds as if Big Chap is gestating inside you and calling you a mother would only be done in jest if at all.

chest-burster

That may be a uniquely apt analogy. The horrors of H.R. Giger have often been described as being sexual in nature and in some ways symbolize rape and dominance.

Describing mothers as mere “hosts” and then attempting to control their lives could be attributed to rape culture, at least in my book.

This entry was posted in Abortion, War On Women and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

    Describing mothers as mere “hosts” and then attempting to control their lives could be attributed to rape culture

    According to Martin’s Rapey Worldview, apparently women are just objects. They exist for one reason and one reason only–to be of use to men. They are to be lusted after, chased and captured. Once captured and enslaved, they are simple sperm receptacles and then later hosts for the man’s child.

    I don’t know if he has any daughters, but I’d love to hear what they think about what their father said about them. I can just hear it now, “Sweetie, you know Daddly loves you but you’re not a person–you’re a host and that’s all you’ll ever be.”

    Martin should be given to another man as a slave, then have something like the alien in the above picture inserted into his abdomen and then force him to host it for 10 months. Then at the end only have it removed after he’s begged for his owner’s permission to do so. Then I’d like to hear what he has to say about hosts and being treated like an object. I’m sure he’d love the experience because we all know that women LOVE being treated like “hosts”.

    Seriously though, this has got to be one of the most offensive things I have ever heard/read in my entire life (and believe me, I’ve heard some horrible, horrible things). The Handmaid’s Tale is not as far away as many would like us to believe.

  • muselet

    What a revolting little man.

      I just went his website and sent him a little note:

      “Senator Martin,

      Your statement about mothers only being hosts is one of the most offensive things I have ever had the misfortune to hear in my life. I sincerely hope you don’t have daughters because you showed them what you really think of them…they’re objects and their husbands will have the right to treat them like objects…like property. It’s a disgusting sentiment that has no place in a country like ours and certainly has no place in the belief system of a serving state senator. Women are not slaves forced to host your children. They are people. You owe women everywhere an apology.

      Signed a real person”

      • http://www.livingenergy.abmp.com/ KanaW

        I’ll be very interested in seeing what, if any, reply he makes to you, IG. That statement of his made me furious and sick.

        Edited for major grammar blooper.

          I have not received a reply and I don’t think I will. His email form allows you to cc yourself, which I did. But nothing from him. He’s not only a pig, but he’s a coward too.

      • nathkatun7

        Thanks, IrishGrrrl, for sending that vile man your excellent letter. I am a man, but I have a daughter, sisters, and dozens of nieces. This vile idiot, who probably knows nothing, like most of us men, what women go through to bring us all to this world, really owes an apology to women. If this man is married with daughters, I pity both his wife and his daughters because he obviously has very little respect for them as human beings if they are not busy producing children.

  • Scopedog

    Jesus, the stupid that just oozes from this guy….

  • Victor_the_Crab

    That Steve Martin from Virginia, He’s a wild and crazy guy! And by that, I mean “Oh dear God, that asshole is so fucking insane!”

    • Sabyen91

      I wonder if he know the good Steve Martin already made “The Jerk.”

  • mrbrink

    Look, I don’t mean to sound all melodramatic, but this could be the most frightening thing I’ve ever heard from a U.S. politician. I’m talking beyond ‘with us, or with the terrorists’ territory.

    At the end, he closed by stating that the people who sent the card were “really sick people,” right after he spent several paragraphs mocking their pleas with the sadistic wit of an inbred southern slaver, and then ordering the senders dragged away at once to the dungeon of marginalization for sullying his lordship’s bloodstained throne, all while his merry fucking men laugh along to his cruelty in making yet another example out of the helpless women from the village.

    This is how Wingnuts think of women– as hosts for gestation and vessels for man’s divine contribution to the world. They like to get all scientific sounding and shit, so you never suspect that they are complete fucking morons who shouldn’t be allowed anywhere near the human anatomy. Which is why they still use “homosexual” like Dr. Dueling fucking Banjo talking about a rare disease. They’re smart, and they know where babies come from. And they really can’t help themselves. They get angry when they have to filter their views, which is why they deride ‘political correctness.’ This Todd Akin/Richard Mourdock breed of Republican isn’t an aberration. This is the general rule, and if they’re not saying it, they’re thinking it and they’re certainly legislating it. Because being kicked in the face by their wolf mothers has obviously made them immune to the suffering of the living, they have no other choice but to inflict ignorance and unnecessary harm upon others. It’s what they do, and it’s the really fucking sick people who think this is acceptable in American politics.

    • joseph2004

      This is how Wingnuts think of women– as hosts for gestation and vessels for man’s divine contribution to the world.
      No, Martin’s point is that mere “hosts” is how the pro-choice advocates’ unwittingly portray women by arguing that a human fetus is not, well, human.
      Get it?

      • mrbrink

        Ha. Yeah, sure.

      • Treading_Water

        Nice strawman. No one argues that a human fetus is not human.

        • joseph2004

          Really? LOL!!!

  • http://www.dlancystreet.com reginahny

    Right to life from conception to birth. After that you’re on your own. As the old saying goes: “do you speak to your host with that mouth?”

  • joseph2004

    This is an amazing subject. Right and Left basically flip-flop their views on government involvement. Democrats on this subject are “Don’t tread on me” while Republicans assume the reverse.
    I think Martin is using “host” to make a point about what he see’s as the pro-choice advocates’ delegitimization of the fetus as human. If it’s not human, then it’s nothing better than, say, a virus for which we’re all on occasion mere hosts.

    • JMAshby

      You’re a nuisance virus.

    • Sabyen91

      No, he is using “host” as a way to delegitimize the mother. It really is much simpler when you don’t twist his words into pretzels.

    • http://vermillionbrain.blogspot.com/ Vermillion

      “I think”

      “I think”

      Really?

      So your best defense for this pretty reprehensible statement is “I think”? You don’t know for sure? He hasn’t clarified it? You don’t have any links to where he made this interpretation you present more apparent? And that “some refer to them as mothers” crack? What the hell was that? Do you really think that is an effective defense? Do you really think you make his words sound BETTER?

      Because where it stands, the only person delegitimizing anyone as human is Martin. Here’s the thing: if he meant exactly what you said he meant, then HE is the one comparing a baby to a “nuisance virus”. I mean, if the mom is just a host, what does that mean for the child? And really, if that is his impression of the pro-choice argument, then he is at best utterly clueless about the subject.