Paul Ryan: We Probably Won’t Pass CIR and It’s Obama’s Fault

blackpresidentsfault

According to Representative Paul Ryan (R-WI), it’s unlikely that his caucus will pass a comprehensive immigration reform bill (CIR) and, as you might have guessed, this is somehow President Obama’s fault.

From the Associated Press

Rep. Paul Ryan, R-Wis., said distrust of President Barack Obama runs so deep in the Republican caucus that he’s skeptical the GOP-led House would pass any immigration measure. He said a plan that puts security first could only pass if lawmakers believe the administration would enforce it — an unlikely prospect given Republicans’ deep opposition to Obama. [...]

“Here’s the issue that all Republicans agree on: We don’t trust the president to enforce the law,” he added.

Their primary concern should be their ability to pass a bill in the first place. If they can manage that, they also have to pass a bill that could be approved by the Senate which is controlled by the Democratic party.

If they can clear both of those hurdles, which I highly doubt they can, they also have to pass a bill that won’t be vetoed.

It appears that Republicans are intent on passing a bill that primarily focuses on border security while providing token legal status to immigrants that would create a permanent caste of second class residents who are neither illegal or citizens.

Such a bill would never pass the Senate. Whether or not President Obama will enforce it is irrelevant at this point.

(This is beside the point, but not everything is up to the discretion of the president.)

Distrust of the president is a poor excuse for not acting because the ball is not in the president’s court right now, and the Senate already passed an immigration reform bill last year. The ball is in John Boehner’s court, and he says there will be NO path to citizenship.

This entry was posted in Immigration and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

    Sorry but I can’t help it (OCD) but “create a permanent cast of second class residents” should be “create a permanent caste of second class residents”

    • vgranucci

      Thank you. That bugged the heck out of me

    • JMAshby

      Fixed. Not something that gets flagged and I wasn’t looking for it. (I don’t have an editor, and yes I know the difference)

        LOL, I KNOW you know the difference…I assumed it was the word processor. Happens to me awl the thyme. ;)

    • Christopher Foxx

      I prefer to call it “CDO”, with the letters in alphabetical order as they should be.

  • muselet

    Rep. Paul Ryan, R-Wis., said distrust of President Barack Obama runs so deep in the Republican caucus that he’s skeptical the GOP-led House would be able to decide what to order for lunch.

    Makes exactly as much sense.

    –alopecia

  • Ipecac

    Not to mention that the current Administration is deporting record numbers of people and that illegal immigration is way down while enforcement is way up. But then, that’s reality and the Republicans don’t deal in that commodity.

      At the same time, some of the GOP like McCain, are investigating border patrol saying that it is inefficient because they are catching and deporting more people than ever before…..my brain…it hurts.

  • Christopher Foxx

    and, as you might have guessed, this is somehow President Obama’s fault.

    Of course. In the same way everything that doesn’t get done is Obama’s fault: “He won’t do exactly what we want him to do, so we’re going to make sure nothing gets done. Which is his fault, since he won’t let us do what we want.”

    It’s just more petulant “look what you made me do”, as one has come to expect from the children running “the party of personal responsibility”.

  • Christopher Foxx

    He said a plan that puts security first could only pass if lawmakers believe the administration would enforce it in reality — an unlikely prospect given Republicans’ deep opposition to Obama.

    As the Republicans have shown daily for years, opposition to Obama is all they have. It is the Alpha/Omega of their belief system, and so they convince themselves that a reason exist for any opposition they make. Because it has to, whether it really does or not.