RNC Chairman Confirms Party Will Hang Itself With Lewinsky Scandal. Again.

Priebus

The Republican party is determined to hang themselves with this nonsense.

Over the past several weeks Senator Rand Paul and Morning Joke host Joe Scarborough have floated the idea that the party should attack Hillary for the actions of her husband former President Bill Clinton. Up until today that was simply a case of Rand Paul being Rand Paul and Morning Joe being the hack that he is but, during an interview with MSNBC, RNC Chairman Reince Priebus said that everything old is new again.

“I think everything’s on the table,” Priebus told Andrea Mitchell.

“I don’t see how someone just gets a free pass on anything. I mean, especially in today’s politics. So, I think we’re going to have a truckload of opposition research on Hillary Clinton and somethings may be old and somethings might be new. But I think everything is at stake when you’re talking about the leader of the free world and who we’re going to give the keys to run the United States of America.”

I don’t know who’s been advising the party that this is a good idea, but as a Democrat I think that person deserves a raise.

Anyone under the age of 30 probably has a poor memory, if any, of the Lewinsky scandal and the blowjob impeachment. Anyone over the age of 30 probably doesn’t give a shit. And that’s before mentioning that Hillary was not the one implicated or impeached.

Even when attempting to view this from their perspective, I can’t rationalize this.

I cannot rationalize blaming a wife for the actions of her husband when your party is already in the dumps with women.

I also believe this is a gross misread of conservative opinion or, at the very least, it’s contradictory to conservative rhetoric which as of late has implied, or in some cases stated, that women should be gracious and subservient to their husbands.

Will they attack Hillary for reconciling with her husband?

If I were advising the Clintons, I would let the RNC pursue this for the time being and then disarm it with a story of reconciliation and penance, making the Republicans look utterly foolish and crass.

This entry was posted in Election 2016, Hillary Clinton, Stupid Party, Super Stupid, War On Women and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Draxiar

    So does that mean we get to harpoon Jeb Bush for his brothers cocaine habit that W refused to talk about during his campaign?

    • zombie377

      Well, “we” would have to be the ones to do that, since Democratic candidates rarely say anything impolite about their scumbag opponents.

      • Churchlady320

        We tend not to personalize, no. We call out POLICY issues. Would be nice if the GOP would do the same, but when they mine their own record, it’s an ore of very low yield.

    • Churchlady320

      WHICH brother – I am losing track of Bushian scandals.

  • Ipecac

    From the people who wanted to give the keys to run the United States to John McCain and Mitt Romney.

  • kushiro -

    Can’t wait to hear what ol’ Newt, Rush, Giuliani and O’Reilly have to say about this!

    • Churchlady320

      I wait in open mouthed awe to hear what they will say. Newtie has already told Pat Robertson that his adultery (No no Commandment No. 7) was because he was so devoted to solving his nation’s problems. And anyway – God has forgiven him.
      I’d like to point out that it’s NOT his call.

  • muselet

    I can only come up with three semi-rational explanations for this:

    1) The Rs think they can frighten Hillary Clinton out of the presidential race—which she hasn’t yet entered—by attacking Bill Clinton’s horndog ways—which Hillary Clinton had nothing to do with—from two decades ago.

    2) The older Rs think “Billary” and “HillBilly” and “Hilldebeast” jokes are simply hilarious and want to share them with the younger generation.

    3) The entire GOP is so blinded by rage that Bill Clinton was impeached but not convicted, it will lash out at any Clinton.

    (Hey, I said semi-rational.)

    In a sane universe, this attack would backfire so badly the GOP would lose every elective office nationwide for a decade. However, as I’ve said many a time, we do not live in a sane universe.

      It’s just good old fashioned guilt by association. They’re hoping that the American people are still outraged! over Clinton’s penis and therefore, will blame Hillary for his transgressions.

      • muselet

        So explanation 3 it is. :^)

        The thing is, the American people of the mid-1990s weren’t outraged by the Clenis (repelled, perhaps, but not outraged). By and large, the public wanted Congress to censure Bill Clinton and get on with the actual business of the country.

        The Rs are beating up on Al Gore (because they think Algore jokes are funny) and Bill Clinton (in order to get to Hillary Clinton). I feel like I’m trapped in a ’90s time warp, only with better electronic gear.

          It’s amazing that 20 years of obsessive personal attacks and dehumanizing caricature sketches later and here the Clintons are more relevant than ever. The GOP has no such living torchbearers.

          The goal seems to be to make women feel uncomfortable and middle aged losers enraged with jealousy and self-righteousness. In other words, they’re going to continue doing what they always do.

  • Christopher Foxx

    I cannot rationalize blaming a wife for the actions of her husband when your party is already in the dumps with women.

    I don’t think rationality has anything to do with it. Republicans have, by and large, drunk their own Kool-Aid. Even those smart enough to recognize that it was just sugar water they were spooning out to keep the masses distracted and believing bullshit have been exposed to it for so long that they’re also getting distracted and believing their own bullshit.

    So they just believe things are the way they want them to be. Anyone who doesn’t see things as they do, well, that person just isn’t getting it. It never occurs to Republicans that maybe their the ones who don’t get it. It’s inconceivable.

    They simply cannot see that oppressing a group would make that group made at them. Women prefer having decisions made for them, the darkies love picking cotton and poor people want their safety net destroyed.

  • D_C_Wilson

    Is there any more proof that the republicans are intellectually bankrupt then pinning there hopes on digging up events of 20 years ago? They have no ideas, no plan to sell the American people but more resentment.

    • Groundloop

      It seems like the ’80′s and ’90′s are the Republican Golden Age. That period started with 8 years of Reagan, then 4 years of Bush 1. When they lost the White House at least it was occupied by a Democrat that they could openly hate without being accused of racism. The Republican party has no new ideas, just old ideas that have to be tried harder. To 21st century Republicans, the Pavlovian response chain of Clinton -> Blow job -> IMPEACH is as natural and comforting as propping up Reagan and marching him around “Weekend at Bernie’s” style every chance they get.

  • Badgerite

    Reince Priebus translation: We have absolutely no class and we are desperate. So—-

  • http://ramonasvoices.blogspot.com/ Ramona

    I see it as a variation of “I think I’ll go eat worms.” It doesn’t have to make sense as long as it makes them feel good:

    Nobody likes me, everybody hates me,
    I think I’ll go eat worms!
    Big fat juicy ones,
    Eensie weensy squeensy ones,
    See how they wiggle and squirm!

    Down goes the first one, down goes the second one,
    Oh how they wiggle and squirm!
    Up comes the first one, up comes the second one,
    Oh how they wiggle and squirm!

    I bite off the heads, and suck out the juice,
    And throw the skins away!
    Nobody knows how fat I grow,
    On worms three times a day!