Senate, House Conservatives Agree: No Immigration Reform

We’ve already been over how Senate Republicans don’t want to tackle immigration reform again, but the Associated Press reports that House conservatives don’t want to either.

“I think it’s a mistake for us to have an internal battle in the Republican Party this year about immigration reform,” Rep. Raul Labrador, R-Idaho, told reporters at a gathering of conservatives. “I think when we take back the Senate in 2014 one of the first things we should do next year after we do certain economic issues, I think we should address the immigration issue.” [...]

“This is not an issue that’s ready for prime time to move legislatively,” said Rep. Joe Barton, R-Texas, who said Republicans should use the principles to begin a dialogue with Hispanics.

Yeah. Begin a dialogue. That’ll do it. I can’t wait to see what those meetings look like.

I picture Rand Paul or Paul Ryan conducting a town hall for outreach and then only one minority person shows up and it’s the police officer who was ordered to be there.

Over the coming days and weeks (months?) a variety of news outlets will opine that there’s ‘still a chance immigration could get done,’ but they’re lying.

This entry was posted in Congress, Immigration and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.
  • muselet

    … after we do certain economic issues …

    Gee, I wonder if those “economic issues” will include tax cuts for the rich, cuts to food assistance and repealing the ACA?

      after we do certain economic issues screw over the poors, libruls and browns, I think we should address the immigration issue

  • LTanya Spearman

    Surprise.. Not.. Any immigrant thought that GOPTbillies was seriously going to tackle immigration reform? Was being naive, for 5 years the T-billies been telling every minority community in the U.S. the constitution said you are 3/5 of a person.

    The question for minorities are they going to sit out the 2014 election like they did in 2010 or are they going to get up and fight for their rights and that include every other activist group? Or they sit back and blame the president b/c he didn’t break out his magical pen?

    Time will tell…