The GOP Doesn’t Care About Veterans

Congressional Republicans have been haranguing about veterans benefits for weeks, but when they had an opportunity to do something about it last night they blocked it.

Why? Because the veterans benefits bill did not include new Iran sanctions.

After numerous attempts failed, the Senate GOP used Sen. Bernie Sanders’ (I-VT) veterans’ benefits bill to bring the issue up again but Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) refused to go along. “Republicans say they want to help veterans. They have a strange way of showing it. We introduced a bill that would do just that. Republicans immediately inject partisan politics into the mix, insisting on amendments that have nothing to do with helping veterans,” Reid said on Wednesday.

One of the nation’s largest veterans groups, the American Legion, agreed. “Iran is a serious issue that Congress needs to address, but it cannot be tied to S. 1982, which is extremely important as our nation prepares to welcome millions of U.S. military servicemen and women home from war,” American Legion National Commander Daniel M. Dellinger said in a statement this week.

Senate Democrats were unable to reach the 60 vote threshold because the Republicans’ desire to sabotage peace talks with Iran is greater than their seemingly nonexistent level of compassion for the veterans many of them voted to send overseas.

This entry was posted in Congress, Ethics, Iran, Senate and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Robert Scalzi

    The Dems need to all go get some hickory canes and actually beat the living shit out of these clowns ON THE SENATE FLOOR. As a vet I am so disgusted by the Teabastards I am at the end of my proverbial rope .

  • Christopher Foxx

    I get the political reality of attaching things as amendments to other bills so that they get passed. But it bothers that something that can’t get passed on it’s own is allowed thru this way, or allowed to sabotage an otherwise passable bill.

    Look, Congresscritters, if the thing you want can’t muster enough votes to pass on it’s own merits, it means it’s a thing that shouldn’t be passed. That you’re trying to do something shouldn’t be done.

    “When tempted to do anything in secret, ask yourself if you would do it in public; if you would not, be sure it is wrong.” – Thomas Jefferson

  • muselet

    Wow. Even the American Legion is taking a slap at the Rs.

    Mark this date on your calendars, folks. We are not likely to see that again for a mighty long time.

    –alopecia

  • Mike_Norris

    Bastards…

  • Brutlyhonest

    Here’s what I posted over at militarydotcom (I’m pretty surprised no one has been screaming at me there):

    Both sides my a$$. I’m sure the usual rationalizations will start
    popping up defending the defeat. but simply look at the vote and you’ll
    see who is “Party First.” http://www.senate.gov/legislat

    Pro-defense industry == pro-military

  • mrbrink

    which is extremely important as our nation prepares to welcome millions of U.S. military servicemen and women home from war,

    Just in case history forgets to write it down, that would be the multi-trillion dollar war(s) that Republicans started and the same servicemen and women that Republicans continue to openly betray while leading an undemocratic coup that would remove from power the very party and administration responsible for bringing them home.